• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star wars #1 should be worth a lot more.

117 posts in this topic

More than Hulk 181 for instance. First appearance of Star Wars eclipses first appearance of hey bub.

The comic came out before the movie though. If they can fudge first app for wolverine this should be easy.

There are a lot more copies of Star Wars 1. It is a #1 issue so it was collected more as opposed to a random issue (181) in a long run.

Are you certain the print run of star wars was larger than IH 181?

It first appeared in a book released in late 1976 (based on what Lucas shared from the screenplay). The comic was released in April 1977. The movie in May.

My guess is that the paid circulation of Star Wars 1, 1st print, was 4-6X higher than Hulk 181. I've personally owned about 10 copies, including some pretty sharp ones, none of which I paid more than $5 for (of course, the last one I bought was probably in 2000/2001 or so). 181 is by no means rare, of course, I'm just saying there are plenty of SW 1 to go around.

I'm certainly not knocking SW 1. I still own a few copies. I'm just being realistic.

#2 on the other hand, that should be worth more!

The comic came out before the movie though. If they can fudge first app for wolverine this should be easy.

I googled the dates and found that the movie came out in May of 77 and the Comic in July (shrug)

edit - Ok I forgot that the comics got distributed a few weeks before the date on the CGC label...carry on!

Now that disney owns both properties (marvel and star wars), they could declare them to be in the same universe (or, multiverse). If they ever did that, it would make SW#1 a true marvel bronze age key, and not just a movie adaptation.

Of course, the movies and comics have referred to the star wars universe as just movies, but marvel often has its properties appear in fictional forms within its own universe (e.g., captain america is both real and a comic in the marvel universe), so they could come up with a similar explanation for star wars.

There are a lot more copies of Star Wars 1. It is a #1 issue so it was collected more as opposed to a random issue (181) in a long run.

Are you certain the print run of star wars was larger than IH 181?

SW 1 sold over a million copies. That is what is reported in many places.

Yes, some of these were reprints, but the bulk was on the first printing. Like I said, I've owned 10 copies of the 1st print. None of which I paid more than $5 for.

Every kid I knew growing up in the 70s had a copy of #1 (yes, we all collected comics back then).

And unlike Hulk 181, where likely 30-50% of the print-run went unsold and was returned (with only a few piles from the NY area winding up in Mile High II...), Star Wars was a smash hit. I doubt it had much in the way of returns.

Look at ads in Marvel comics from 1978 or so...I am pretty sure you could order more copies of SW 1 directly from Marvel for a few bucks, along with Peter Parker 1 and maybe Nova 1, so they must have printed extras for future sale too. Admittedly, I am not certain whether this was for the reprint. The other books were not reprints. Someone who was buying mail order back then would know. I was 6.

Like those other books the vast circulation has held it back price-wise.

If you truly believe this, and are not simply being a trolling person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, you should be actively buying EVERY copy of Star Wars 1 you can find in order to start to corner the market.

My bet is on the latter, but hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Start buying them up now.

If you truly believe this, and are not simply being a trolling person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, you should be actively buying EVERY copy of Star Wars 1 you can find in order to start to corner the market.

My bet is on the latter, but hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Start buying them up now.

Just because I previously thought something should be worth more, does not mean I am stupid enough to start buying them. Maybe that's how you operate, but I'm not that stupid. They have to actually be worth something.

I think IH 180 should be worth more than 181, but I'm not gonna buy any. that would be stupid.

See you came into a thread where people were being civil and just had to start throwing insults. Now don't you feel dumb?

They're worth something. Certainly a lot more than most other books from 1977 and maybe more than the other #1s from that era like Peter Parker and Nova, although I haven't checked lately. I am waiting until the next movie to list my start wars comics, I didn't think Rogue One would get people excited about the comics again.

I don't think Kav is articulating himself correctly.

Despite the increase in print run of Star Wars 1 over IH181, are there more Star Wars collectors than Wolverine collectors looking to add the first Star Wars comic book to their collection for a premium.

I do not know the answer, but I believe that is the question that is trying to be asked.

Now that disney owns both properties (marvel and star wars), they could declare them to be in the same universe (or, multiverse). If they ever did that, it would make SW#1 a true marvel bronze age key, and not just a movie adaptation.

Of course, the movies and comics have referred to the star wars universe as just movies, but marvel often has its properties appear in fictional forms within its own universe (e.g., captain america is both real and a comic in the marvel universe), so they could come up with a similar explanation for star wars.

FWIW, when JJ Abrams was on Howard Stern promoting Episode VII, he did say that they have a person on set who's the canon reference. They ran all the stuff by him to make sure it didn't horribly conflict with stuff that was in the comics, cartoons, etc., which seems to be to be at least a partial validation that all the stuff under the Disney umbrella is considered canon now.