• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star wars #1 should be worth a lot more.

117 posts in this topic

Kav I would agree that one would think Star Wars #1 would be worth more money than they are.

But market supply and consumer demand seems to dictate it differently.

Yep. They have a huge cultural impact. Hey bub doesn't.

I don't think Kav is articulating himself correctly.

Despite the increase in print run of Star Wars 1 over IH181, are there more Star Wars collectors than Wolverine collectors looking to add the first Star Wars comic book to their collection for a premium.

I do not know the answer, but I believe that is the question that is trying to be asked.

Yes

I don't think Kav is articulating himself correctly.

Despite the increase in print run of Star Wars 1 over IH181, are there more Star Wars collectors than Wolverine collectors looking to add the first Star Wars comic book to their collection for a premium.

I do not know the answer, but I believe that is the question that is trying to be asked.

I think print run and that Star Wars was nearly immediately collectible satiated a lot of this demand early, though.

I share the sentiment though, you'd think SW 1 would be subscribing to the IH 181 or NM 98 supply be damned pricing, though.

Totally - it has been loved for many generations.

Look at Star Trek Gold Key books, they seem to have always had and continue to have value and demand.

One would think Star Wars (and its fan base and collectors) would trump these books.

(Smaller print run prolly a big factor with Gold Key)

We have a short box of raw #1 books, all in 9.2 / 9.6 and common sense tells me I could not sell them all within a 6 month period unless I gave them away for 10.00 each? (shrug)

And I'm a no body, imagine the big time guys like a Koch, or somebody with I'm sure boxes of this stuff

Supply doesn't seem to be relevant - while there are more 9.8's of star wars #1 than 9.8s of IH 181, there are far more IH 181 than star wars #1 (from the cgc census):

Number of 9.8s (including SS, qualified, restored, etc.):

Star wars #1: 480

IH 181: 103

Number overall:

star wars #1: 5927

IH 181: 9014

We have a short box of raw #1 books, all in 9.2 / 9.6 and common sense tells me I could not sell them all within a 6 month period unless I gave them away for 10.00 each? (shrug)

And I'm a no body, imagine the big time guys like a Koch, or somebody with I'm sure boxes of this stuff

:takeit: 20 9.6 copies for that price remember I'm in Canada shipping to Manitoba.

Star Wars 1 is a crappy book. As I've said, I've never paid more than $5. And even then I was high on bath salts.

But as you've done right by me in the past and bought stuff from me, I will do you a favor and buy them all from you for $10 each. What's your paypal address? (Actually, I have it around here somewhere...)

Supply doesn't seem to be relevant - while there are more 9.8's of star wars #1 than 9.8s of IH 181, there are far more IH 181 than star wars #1 (from the cgc census):

Number overall:

Because submitting a $50 book doesn't make sense?

Number overall:

That's because low grade copies of 181 are still worth hundreds of dollars while low grade copies of star wars 1 are worth under $100. People don't submit books en masse unless they will have more value slabbed.

Star Wars 1 is a crappy book. As I've said, I've never paid more than $5. And even then I was high on bath salts.

But as you've done right by me in the past and bought stuff from me, I will do you a favor and buy them all from you for $10 each. What's your paypal address? (Actually, I have it around here somewhere...)

Are you trying to snake my deal with the bunky. :slapfight:

I am willing to take the 9.2s as a package deal, you want to cherry pick him. I am such a nice guy.

(Somehow I don't think he really needs our money.)

I am willing to take the 9.2s as a package deal, you want to cherry pick him. I am such a nice guy.

(Somehow I don't think he really needs our money.)

Yes, I want to cherry pick his box. hm urr waitaminute... that doesn't sound right. :insane:

There are a lot more copies of Star Wars 1. It is a #1 issue so it was collected more as opposed to a random issue (181) in a long run.

Are you certain the print run of star wars was larger than IH 181?

Yes, probably 3-4 times the print run, but mostly because of the amount of times it was reprinted.

The 35 cent price test variant on the other hand was probably somewhere between 0.5-1% of IH 181's print run.

See you came into a thread where people were being civil and just had to start throwing insults. Now don't you feel dumb?

So it's okay for you to play with yourself in someone else's thread, but everyone has to behave in yours? How do we get you to go back to the competitor's board again?

See you came into a thread where people were being civil and just had to start throwing insults. Now don't you feel dumb?

So it's okay for you to play with yourself in someone else's thread, but everyone has to behave in yours? How do we get you to go back to the competitor's board again?

Go play with yourself

You can do whatever you want in my thread but I'll make ya look dumb if ya come in with insults.

FWIW, discussions bringing-up a paperback that was ghost written by Alan Dean Foster as a predecessor to the comic format is irrelevant.

The comic not only saved Marvel from bankruptcy, but the audiences comics reached and the way they tapped into collecting cultures played a huge part in helping George sell his toys - some recommended reading can be found here.

The comic not only went into second and later printings in North America, but went into print in numerous countries (just yesterday, Matthew Roybal shared 26 different foreign editions of Star Wars #1 in one of the Facebook groups I moderate) an epic run of newspaper strips were syndicated in the L.A. Times, and you could start to get a sense of it's unquestionable importance and place in comic history, especially when you look at how all this has influenced a new generation of artists and creators.

I don't mean to slight anyone by saying this, but this just another example of the corrupting influence money has had on hobbies like ours, because this is one of those teachable moments that gets reduced down to another "how much is it worth" discussion.

There are a lot more copies of Star Wars 1. It is a #1 issue so it was collected more as opposed to a random issue (181) in a long run.

Are you certain the print run of star wars was larger than IH 181?

You have to be kidding! SW1 is dead common. IH181 is action 1 rarity in comparison :insane: