• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,651 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has been done previously, but here goes. Maybe someone can find some matches besides these covers from Planet Comics & Planet Stories. :wishluck:

This one is an easy match.

Not quite what you mean, but here's another near-match.

Not too close because Stilt-Man doesn't have clouds drifting across his nether regions.

Jack

43847-dd8.jpg

43839-planet1a.jpg

43840-planet1b.jpg

Actually, the swastika was a historical symbol for many cultures...a lot of the time depicted backwards or upside down. I know the Chinese used it centuries before the Germans adopted and warped it's meaning. I am drunk so forget most of it's history at the moment, but will probably remember tomorrow.

Yes, I know that the swastika has a long history. That's sort of what I meant with the Kuna comment.

If you're sober enough, can you tell me why THIS book reverses the swastika from the Nazi version. Does the story not refer to the Nazis by name because the US hadn't entered WWII when it was published?

Jack

I don't know if this has been done previously, but here goes. Maybe someone can find some matches besides these covers from Planet Comics & Planet Stories. :wishluck:

Not too close because Stilt-Man doesn't have clouds drifting across his nether regions.

Jack

43847-dd8.jpg

43839-planet1a.jpg

43840-planet1b.jpg

Hey! No fair using a different publisher!!! :sumo:

:baiting:

Hey! No fair using a different publisher!!! :sumo:

:baiting:

Not to mention the lack of a buxom babe running in the foreground.

Jack

I recall a CBM showing a bunch of FH Pulp/Comic cover swipes - and another one that showed how a number of the early SA Jimmy Olsen cover concepts were swiped directly from old sci-fi pulps - very cool! Unfortunately what is left of my old CBM collection is packed away - so I can't recall which issues.

Sorry if this has been covered before, so please forgive me. I just recently started collecting Fiction House books a few months ago and I noticed that many of the books that I have been purchasing usually have slightly faded covers. This seems to occur with more frequency on the FH books than other golden age books from other publishers that I'm buying.

I'm just wondering if this is a fairly common problem with the FH line. I've been buying these books from a lot of different sellers so it's not as if it was all from the same collection.

Anyway, any comments would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry if this has been covered before, so please forgive me. I just recently started collecting Fiction House books a few months ago and I noticed that many of the books that I have been purchasing usually have slightly faded covers. This seems to occur with more frequency on the FH books than other golden age books from other publishers that I'm buying.

I'm just wondering if this is a fairly common problem with the FH line. I've been buying these books from a lot of different sellers so it's not as if it was all from the same collection.

Anyway, any comments would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: We have covered this. Fiction House books do tend to have a fading problem. You may want to do a search and see if you can find any of the old posts.

Fiction House books, during some portions of their runs, generally exhibit much less intense colors that might otherwise be expected. It is by no means inherent to all of their issues as the both the early ones and the last ones will usually be uniformly consistent in their colors and equivalent to books of other publishers. I've not taken the time to chart when the problem months are nor have I seen anyone do that, but certainly some part of the 40s have books with generally less intense colors.

While there is speculation, no one has yet offered convincing evidence that there is something inherent to the inks & printing method that result in colors that fade quickly. Copies of FH comics don't match up with the patterns that I see from the two comic publishers that I know have this problem.

An alternative scenario, and one that I think more likely, is that inks of dubious quality with low pigment content were used resulting in copies that vary more widely within a print run than might otherwise be expected and that appear washed out. We do know that other companies -- Superior (their 1950s issues) and Charlton -- had this problem uniformly across their titles.

Another note - CGC and many dealers take no consideration of washed out colors into grading FH books - but many collectors (though not all) - prefer copies that have rich colors. So if the faded colors bother you - I would insist on scans before buying - regardless of grade.

Thanks. That kind of clears it up for me.

Fiction House books, during some portions of their runs, generally exhibit much less intense colors that might otherwise be expected. It is by no means inherent to all of their issues as the both the early ones and the last ones will usually be uniformly consistent in their colors and equivalent to books of other publishers. I've not taken the time to chart when the problem months are nor have I seen anyone do that, but certainly some part of the 40s have books with generally less intense colors.

While there is speculation, no one has yet offered convincing evidence that there is something inherent to the inks & printing method that result in colors that fade quickly. Copies of FH comics don't match up with the patterns that I see from the two comic publishers that I know have this problem.

An alternative scenario, and one that I think more likely, is that inks of dubious quality with low pigment content were used resulting in copies that vary more widely within a print run than might otherwise be expected and that appear washed out. We do know that other companies -- Superior (their 1950s issues) and Charlton -- had this problem uniformly across their titles.

Here's a few reasons why you should de-slab your GA Fiction House Books...bought these a while back....looked at the covers in the low grade slabs....VG- by CGC on each with cream to OW pages.......and tonight just decided to peruse the interiors....

There are even better interior pages, but these caught my eye...

they appeal so much more out of the encasement to me. :headbang:

44685-Comic0742.JPG.558c6605cabfb214e01ff5d10fa45002.JPG

44686-Comic0739.JPG.163e085961db266356b7944016260b8f.JPG

44687-Comic0740.JPG.5ccd551b44fbca2afbbe0b72ef9b84ab.JPG

44688-Comic0741.JPG.0fa04fb85457dadbd676ae114bf52b63.JPG

Here's a few reasons why you should de-slab your GA Fiction House Books...bought these a while back....looked at the covers in the low grade slabs....VG- by CGC on each with cream to OW pages.......and tonight just decided to peruse the interiors....

There are even better interior pages, but these caught my eye...

they appeal so much more out of the encasement to me.

(thumbs u

Fiction House comics had a great stable of artists working for them. Their covers and interiors are among the best in the field.

If collectors don't read (or at least look at) the stories, they're missing out on a lot of entertainment.