• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,639 posts in this topic

I've just started collecting Fiction House titles, primarily for the covers.

A long haul in front of me but I'm looking forward to it!

If you just limit yourself to the good ones, it's probably not that bad.

Except that it would include about 90% of every run. :P

I've just started collecting Fiction House titles, primarily for the covers.

A long haul in front of me but I'm looking forward to it!

If you just limit yourself to the good ones, it's probably not that bad.

Except that it would include about 90% of every run. :P

Exactly!!

I understand about the great covers, but how are the stories in the Fiction House books (relative to other GA)? Fun or just campy? I had never heard of the publisher or any of the titles before I joined these boards, and I'm just curious about it.

Thanks.

No better nor worse than the average story. The advantage (from my POV) is that FH had a lot of recurring long-running characters so that the characters were quite well established which helped maintain a level of quality in the story. Sure, it led to repetition but it's better than the inanity of Timely's stories. Overall the stories are more repetitive & less "innovative / inventive" than National's stories but still fun for what they are. In the end, I rank them a step up from most other second-tier publishers thanks to the art.

I agree! I'll add that if you're not collecting a Fiction House title (yet) it can be very addicting.

The prices are generally pretty reasonable on them too compared to "hero" books.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the responses. I'm currently not actively collecting due to other priorities, but when I'm back in the game (soon hopefully!), maybe I'll pick up a couple cheap and see what I think.

Cheers!

I've been looking for quite a while for the "right" copy of Jumbo 99 to pair it with my copy of Jungle 99 (that I got from 143ksk). It came in with today's mail :D -

Nice bright colors on that Jumbo 99. Many copies I've seen are faded or dirty.

3373427917_790858e4fe_b.jpg

I like this scan of the Wings 42 cover by Art Saaf. Just in case you forgot, the Mosquito was made out of cloth and plywood.

The Bomber had Two Rolls-Royce Merlins of 1,690 hp each. How did it hold together with all of that power on the wings? Good engineering I guess.

Edit: I think this cover was attributed to Art Saaf too.

Edited by BB-Gun