• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for a Living

103 posts in this topic

I think you need to decide how you want to get into the business. The trades you would learn vary greatly from working at a comic shop, cgc, a convention vendor

or mycomicshop. Personally if I was starting again in this industry I would focus on a job that would help fine tune your grading skills to an elite level. Being able to evaluate books and find those bumps and catch the restoration is key when dealing with larger books.

Move to NY, apply to Local 52 IATSE, and try to get hired on one of the marvel shows.

And until that happens, sleep in your car (which you will be using for your Uber gig), cuz the COLA here is brutal.

On the flip side, you can shower at a Blink! gym and membership is only $23 a month. You don't really need an apartment if you have a good sleeping bag for your backseat for nights like last night, which was a bit chilly.

Actually, if you have a decent size SUV you can live in there, use it for Uber AND run your online comic empire out of it. Seriously, you should be able to fit 4-5 long boxes back there without impacting your ability to schlep luggage too much, that right there is a decent ebay store! Use the tables at a starbucks for your packing, shipping, and taking pics (plus you can grab all the free milk, sugar, and toilet paper (napkins) you need).

Most comic shops end up going out of business. So that is a very hard business to make it in long term.

This is just not true. There are some stores going out of business, but there are also stores that are opening.

The hobby doesn't necessarily need more stores; it just needs more good stores.

Most comic shops end up going out of business. So that is a very hard business to make it in long term.

This is just not true. There are some stores going out of business, but there are also stores that are opening.

The hobby doesn't necessarily need more stores; it just needs more good stores.

I dunno, for every 3 or 4 that go under here, I don't think 1 opens up, and the one that does, doesn't last

But I live in a brutal rental market. Maybe it's different somewhere that has a good storefront available for $700 a month.

Move to NY, apply to Local 52 IATSE, and try to get hired on one of the marvel shows.

And until that happens, sleep in your car (which you will be using for your Uber gig), cuz the COLA here is brutal.

Or live in jersey

I like the work for CGC idea best. From what they told me once they are always looking for graders and have a training program.

Having management experience I've day dreamed about running a comic shop.

IF YOU ARE SERIOUS, I know someone who is in the very near future opening a comic store who will need a manager. PM me.

But, But....

Most comic shops end up going out of business.

WTF?

I like the work for CGC idea best. From what they told me once they are always looking for graders and have a training program.

And that's why I suggested it. I know CGC needs staff. I suspect they can't pay enough to draw a lot of experienced graders from far away but the OP is already motivated to move

OP loves comics and has some knowledge so it seems to fit, and Florida has warm year round weather and string bikinis.

Hell he could soon be moderating our posts.....

I can't imagine a worse job then counting pages of modern comics all day, every day.

What do you think CGCs quota is for books per hour? 40? 50?

Then after six months, you move up to Copper Age.

Then you get to go home and read this weeks books.

I suspect working at MCS wouldn't be much better at the entry level, although I think there you get to have some input into the grades.

Or live in jersey

yeah, cuz jersey is so cheap too and commuting is a bargain

Having management experience I've day dreamed about running a comic shop.

IF YOU ARE SERIOUS, I know someone who is in the very near future opening a comic store who will need a manager. PM me.

But, But....

Most comic shops end up going out of business.

WTF?

And if he is a great manager maybe this one won't go out of business!

unless you just have an insanely bad lease, failure is not inevitable. a lot of shops go under, as rcheli notes, because they are run poorly, management does not adapt, they are running it like a hobby, they scare off customers, etc. It is like some of these bars on that show Bar Rescue..the owners are doing everything they can to go out of business.

If the moving part doesn't work out or takes a while. The OP can always start blogging about comics (the art, industry, niche collecting, reviews or whatever he loves about it) as a way to express his love of the hobby.

Who knows he may have a knack for it and provide a unique voice, which could lead to traffic and extra $.

Or live in jersey

yeah, cuz jersey is so cheap too and commuting is a bargain

Could be if you go to the right places. My commute is fine.

And that's why I suggested it. I know CGC needs staff. I suspect they can't pay enough to draw a lot of experienced graders from far away but the OP is already motivated to move

OP loves comics and has some knowledge so it seems to fit, and Florida has warm year round weather and string bikinis.

Hell he could soon be moderating our posts.....

West Coast is different from East Coast. There are some cooler places in Tampa, but it's mostly retirees.

I want to be somewhere where I can wear shorts right now and not freeze.

Didn't stop me from running out of my house at 6:30 this morning in my boxers when a precious spot opened up across the street to move the car