• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab Damage

42 posts in this topic

I would send that slab back to CGC so they can take care of it. Don't submit for regrade . Contact them so they can address the damage. I would think it can be pressed and reholdered.

If it is an old label slab, why would they do that? Are they in the habit of pressing and re-grading 15 year old SCS books?

Is the overhang really bent, or does it just appear that way from the shadow cast by the inner well onto the book? It just looks like shadow to me.

Bob - holy carp! :lol:

I can do one better:

This slab damage obviously came from when the book was previously slabbed, and is only there after regrading and reslabbing.

Is the overhang really bent, or does it just appear that way from the shadow cast by the inner well onto the book? It just looks like shadow to me.

Bob - holy carp! :lol:

(shrug)

I have owned more than a few slabs where a scan appears to show bending of the back cover top overhang all the way across except at the corners, only the comic has a straight, flat overhang without any bend whatsoever.

Here, I found a quick example from a pre-existing scan. The top edge of the back cover isn't actually bent over, but just looks that way from the shadow cast by the inner well.

Plenty of books do get shaken comic syndrome, but other times it's just a scanning artifact. OP: do you have the slab in hand, and is the back cover overhang really bent?

overhang2.jpg

So the color breaking crease line that follows the shadow line into the spine was pre-existing to grading/slabbing? To me the book obviously has slab damage, at least to the right hand side of the book. :shrug:

Here, I found a quick example from a pre-existing scan. The top edge of the back cover isn't actually bent over, but just looks that way from the shadow cast by the inner well.

Plenty of books do get shaken comic syndrome, but other times it's just a scanning artifact. OP: do you have the slab in hand, and is the back cover overhang really bent?

overhang2.jpg

So the color breaking crease line that follows the shadow line into the spine was pre-existing to grading/slabbing? To me the book obviously has slab damage, at least to the right hand side of the book. :shrug:

overhang2.jpg

That's my point, there's no damage whatsoever to the back cover overhang of my comic, looking at the book in hand. What the scan shows is a shadow along the entire top in the precise shape of the top edge of the inner well. The spine tick near the top right that breaks the black vertical line is just that, a tiny spine tick.

Sometimes, the top edges of slabbed comics suffer from SCS, but other times they only appear to from scanner artifact. The top left part of the scanned book shown above that has no SCS looks a lot like the scan of the top right edge of the book in the original post. I think one has to have a book in hand to know what's what.

overhang2.jpg

That's my point, there's no damage whatsoever to the back cover overhang of my comic, looking at the book in hand. What the scan shows is a shadow along the entire top in the precise shape of the top edge of the inner well. The spine tick near the top right that breaks the black vertical line is just that, a tiny spine tick.

Sometimes, the top edges of slabbed comics suffer from SCS, but other times they only appear to from scanner artifact. The top left part of the scanned book shown above that has no SCS looks a lot like the scan of the top right edge of the book in the original post. I think one has to have a book in hand to know what's what.

If the scan of the book you are showing is listed for sale somewhere, how is the potential buyer going to know this ? I believe you but, as a buyer, I would still avoid the book. I guess Comiclink has the right idea for front scan only ! HaHA .