• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silly question about CCC label

23 posts in this topic

Sorry for creating a thread on this. The only reason I am is that a potential buyer of a slab has expressed concern about some buckling of the CGC label in the case implying potential tampering. I see no evidence of this as the posts are in tact plus I bought this from a boardie. I know there is extra space where the label resides and not vacuum sealed so figured something happened when it was inserted. Here's a pic:

37E3363F-3FE3-4FEB-AE52-EC412AA377CA_zpszc6rk3rb.jpg

I've seen other CGC books where the label does not lay perfectly flat. Just want some opinions as nothing I seem to tell the guy is satisfying him as he says he's never seen this before and keeps asking me how this happened. I didn't see him flagged as a blocked eBay user but if anyone wants his name drop me a PM. I basically told him to contact CGC for an answer and retract his bid if it's such a concern. If he doesn't retract I might just cancel and block.

Thanks for the sanity check.

I have many slabs with wavy labels. I have always assumed that because they heat seal them in, sometimes they move or slide or whatever and they buckle and it is what it is. Only the OCD comic collector would ever have an issue with something like that.

Tell them if they crack the slab and get the label pressed, it might come back a 9.8... ;)

lol Thanks for the responses. He seems to be ok with my last response and now is trying to get me to do an off eBay deal with him. :facepalm:

Really think I need to cancel and block. Have all sorts of bad vibes with this one.

Tell them if they crack the slab and get the label pressed, it might come back a 9.8... ;)

lol Thanks for the responses. He seems to be ok with my last response and now is trying to get me to do an off eBay deal with him. :facepalm:

Really think I need to cancel and block. Have all sorts of bad vibes with this one.

I have many slabs with wavy labels ... and go with your vibes.

Same here, though I only have about 20 slabs, a couple have wavy labels. I would think the company(s) would address this by using some type of heavier paper or even card stock.

It was addressed in CGC's newest slab design - there's a wedge behind the label, so it sits flat against the front of the case.

I have seen many wavy labels, it is caused by the plastic used to create the inner well.

The comic is placed in between two sheets of plastic then heat sealed and if the two plastic sheets are not perfectly aligned you can get some twisting which can create the effect on the label. There is also the possibility the sheets of plastic were already slightly twisted in manufacturing.

It isn't a big deal at all, but if the buyer doesn't like it, I would tell him to buy a different book and move on, especially now that the buyer is attempting to do the sale outside of the selling site.

Wonderful copy of Batman 232 by the way.

I have many slabs with wavy labels ... and go with your vibes.

Definitely.

CANCEL!!! He clearly knows nothing about CGC books given the question of the label. Now he wants you to do the deal off ebay. I would bet money that when he received the book he would claim the book has been tampered with because the case is open on the sides. Run far far away!

I have seen many wavy labels, it is caused by the plastic used to create the inner well.

The comic is placed in between two sheets of plastic then heat sealed and if the two plastic sheets are not perfectly aligned you can get some twisting which can create the effect on the label. There is also the possibility the sheets of plastic were already slightly twisted in manufacturing.

It isn't a big deal at all, but if the buyer doesn't like it, I would tell him to buy a different book and move on, especially now that the buyer is attempting to do the sale outside of the selling site.

Wonderful copy of Batman 232 by the way.

Thanks. That's exactly what I told him that he as a buyer should be happy with what he purchases and 232 is not rare. I'm going to message him and tell him that again. Regarding the off eBay thing, telling him I'm going to let the auction run to the end, and I'm sure he'd still buy through the bay as he bid. A part of me would feel bad if I just canceled and blocked at this point. I guess there is a little risk should he win and has other issues. Going to review the entire slab with a mag glass and see if I can scare him away with a little scratch or something.

CANCEL!!! He clearly knows nothing about CGC books given the question of the label. Now he wants you to do the deal off ebay. I would bet money that when he received the book he would claim the book has been tampered with because the case is open on the sides. Run far far away!

I'm still thinking about blocking but would feel like a di**, would then have to deal with him messaging me on this item after even if blocked. If I can't scare him away I may be forced into doing this. His offer was to PP direct, and didn't state this was the only way he would buy, he just threw it out there. I'm not going there with him though.

I'm still thinking about blocking but would feel like a di**, would then have to deal with him messaging me on this item after even if blocked. If I can't scare him away I may be forced into doing this. His offer was to PP direct, and didn't state this was the only way he would buy, he just threw it out there. I'm not going there with him though.

I wouldn't normally suggest this but it does all seem a little iffy... You could report him to ebay. He's broken their rules by asking to purchase direct through paypal. You might find it'll solve the problem.

Wavy label = good

Newton rings = bad

"Old label" = good

'That period 3 years ago when grading was perceived as lax' = bad

New 'new' label = good

Moisture in case = bad

What else am I missing?

If this buyer wins it seems like your troubles are just beginning. Trust your gut.

There's an option to prevent communication from blocked users. I've got it enabled and have never had an issue.