• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 6:10 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

You're not wrong, it should have happened about 3 films earlier IMO. Mystique is NOT the centre of the X-Men. 

In all seriousness dark phoenix wasn’t a bad movie.  I enjoyed it except for the fact that mystique was everyone’s conscience, found and solved every problem, lead the team on missions and corrected Professor X multiple times. How egocentric does an actress have to be in real life to demand those kind of edits to the movie?  It almost ruined the film, and I’m not exaggerating that I cheered when Mystique died. 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:34 AM, Westy Steve said:

In all seriousness dark phoenix wasn’t a bad movie.  I enjoyed it except for the fact that mystique was everyone’s conscience, found and solved every problem, lead the team on missions and corrected Professor X multiple times. How egocentric does an actress have to be in real life to demand those kind of edits to the movie?  It almost ruined the film, and I’m not exaggerating that I cheered when Mystique died. 

You've kind of got me on 'Dark Phoenix wasn't a bad movie'. I thought it was a bad movie, and one of the few things it did right was finally killing off Mystique. That happened far, far too late IMO, and severely damaged the franchise, all because they got a name actress. Bleuch! 

On 2/15/2022 at 9:34 AM, Westy Steve said:

This was during the acquisition transition period where Disney hadn't completed the merger yet. But had executives on hand to monitor and advise any of the in-flight productions.

You'll notice a certain line from Victoria Alonso that came through in Dark Phoenix. Based on having them change the movie direction to avoid the use of Skrulls to clear the way for Captain Marvel, give you a guess who had a heavier say on female team members being more front and center.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

You've kind of got me on 'Dark Phoenix wasn't a bad movie'. I thought it was a bad movie, and one of the few things it did right was finally killing off Mystique. That happened far, far too late IMO, and severely damaged the franchise, all because they got a name actress. Bleuch! 

Yeah yeah, another fan boy saying it was a terrible movie. :-) If you go to the thread for the new Doctor Strange trailer, there’s actually a post from a guy who said he didn’t like it!

Growing up I remember watching stuff like Sinbad the Sailor and it’s associated bad animation.  It’s all we had. Like a dog that has been abused, I’m grateful for anything.  

*disclaimer: Dog abuse is deplorable. You can’t consider yourself a success unless a dog cares about you

Edited by Westy Steve

People forget how far out Disney took control of Fox operations indirectly before Dark Phoenix was released.

• 3/14/2018: Disney reorgs in preparation for Fox merger
  • 6/20/2018: Disney and Fox ammend their merger agreement to state $71.3 billion
  • 7/25/2018: Disney and Fox shareholders approve merger
  • 1/1/2019: Fox reorgs into 'New Fox' in preparation for Disney merger
  • 3/4/2019: Captain Marvel release date
  • 3/20/2019: Disney-Fox acquisition completed
  • 6/7/2019: X-Men: Dark Phoenix release date

Which is why the storyboard artist leaked what was planned versus what they released. Including Skrulls and a massive space battle to convey Dark Phoenix's powers.

On 2/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, Westy Steve said:

I hear you, but when nightcrawler teleported one of the enemy combatants in front of a train, that was pretty darn cool

Dark Phoenix is not such a horrible beast as people make it out to be.

But I would have loved to see the original concept.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:39 PM, Westy Steve said:

Yeah yeah, another fan boy saying it was a terrible movie. :-) If you go to the thread for the new Doctor Strange trailer, there’s actually a post from a guy who said he didn’t like it!

Growing up I remember watching stuff like Sinbad the Sailor and it’s associated bad animation.  It’s all we had. Like a dog with that has been abused, I’m grateful for anything.  

Ray Harryhausen's stop motion animation bad?

Meme_-_BLASPHEMY!.png&ehk=nlazX7FoiLl8ZG

On 2/15/2022 at 3:01 PM, Bosco685 said:

Dark Phoenix is not such a horrible beast as people make it out to be.

But I would have loved to see the original concept.

It's not horrible but I don't think that phrasing it as "weak" will get any pushback. 

The movie was weak. 

Now FF... that was... bad.

I really liked the opening to that last FF movie of Reed as a kid.  After that... yeaaaaaaaaaaaah.

At this point the movie gods OWE us Jim Halpert / Jack Ryan as Reed Richards. 

Speaking of... when am I getting my season three of Jack Ryan?

On 2/15/2022 at 1:39 PM, Westy Steve said:

Growing up I remember watching stuff like Sinbad the Sailor and it’s associated bad animation.  It’s all we had. Like a dog that has been abused, I’m grateful for anything.  

*disclaimer: Dog abuse is deplorable. You can’t consider yourself a success unless a dog cares about you

hey the Ray Harryhausen special effects were awesome at the time! Loved that stuff!

I can't say that Dark Phoenix was good, but I'm not sure if it's as bad as its reception would indicate. It's just stunning how the franchise could peter out so quickly like that. Huge sums of money, plenty of star power, and it hit the box office like a wet fart. So odd.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:39 PM, F For Fake said:

I can't say that Dark Phoenix was good, but I'm not sure if it's as bad as its reception would indicate. It's just stunning how the franchise could peter out so quickly like that. Huge sums of money, plenty of star power, and it hit the box office like a wet fart. So odd.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, Bosco685 said:

This was during the acquisition transition period where Disney hadn't completed the merger yet. But had executives on hand to monitor and advise any of the in-flight productions.

You'll notice a certain line from Victoria Alonso that came through in Dark Phoenix. Based on having them change the movie direction to avoid the use of Skrulls to clear the way for Captain Marvel, give you a guess who had a heavier say on female team members being more front and center.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, Bosco685 said:

People forget how far out Disney took control of Fox operations indirectly before Dark Phoenix was released.

• 3/14/2018: Disney reorgs in preparation for Fox merger
  • 6/20/2018: Disney and Fox ammend their merger agreement to state $71.3 billion
  • 7/25/2018: Disney and Fox shareholders approve merger
  • 1/1/2019: Fox reorgs into 'New Fox' in preparation for Disney merger
  • 3/4/2019: Captain Marvel release date
  • 3/20/2019: Disney-Fox acquisition completed
  • 6/7/2019: X-Men: Dark Phoenix release date

Which is why the storyboard artist leaked what was planned versus what they released. Including Skrulls and a massive space battle to convey Dark Phoenix's powers.

:shiftyeyes:

But at least Captain Marvel got the Skrulls to itself.

:Rocket:

Those 'Dark Phoenix' Villains Were Originally Skrulls, Says Tye Sheridan

According to Tye Sheridan, who plays Cyclops in Dark Phoenix, an earlier version of Simon Kinberg's film saw the X-Men going toe-to-toe with Marvel's nastiest bodysnatchers, the Skrull. Here's what the actor had to say on the Reelblend podcast:

“It’s really hard for me to remember what the ending of this movie is. [laughs] Originally, it was scripted that Charles and Scott go to the U.N. because — man, I’m totally going to mess this up — they go to the U.N. because they’re going to try to tell the President that, ‘Hey, we’re under attack by aliens, and they’ve now captured Jean Grey.’ Or, you know, whatever it is that we’re going to tell him."

“And then Jean comes down in the front of the U.N., and causes… there is this huge battle between the guards at the U.N. and Jean Grey, and all the guards turn out to be Skrulls. And then Jean and Scott are — Scott is fighting Skrulls in the fountain. He gets thrown into the fountain in front of the U.N. And then Jean comes down and basically fights all of the Skrulls off, and then blasts back off into space. [She] basically says goodbye to Scott and Charles. And then it’s all over, I guess.”

On 12/14/2023 at 1:55 PM, Bosco685 said:

This is just another really great example of how corporate influence can ruin a potentially good movie. 

I can't imagine having an artistic vision in my head to produce and someone mucking with it until it no longer resembles the original concept. You can call it many things but the words unfair and abhorrent come to mind. Wow.