• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 CGC 9.2 Sells for all time high price @ $460K

147 posts in this topic

Why does it bother you if I say a book looks pressed ?

It doesn't bother me if you say a book is pressed. It bothered me in the other thread when you compared the shrunken cover template to the ASM #10 CGC 9.8 as though there was some relationship between the two when their wasn't.

In this thread I said the book looked original, not pressed. I said it deserved to sell for as much as a pressed 9.4. That did not sit well with you.

I have no problem with either statement and I agree. Because if it was going to be a 9.4 it likely wouldn't sell for less anyway.

I suppose it probably behooves your business model to keep the general comic buying public uneducated about these matters. If you can't buy an undergraded 9.2 at a 9.2 price, you aren't making money.

See, this is where you make it personal and insulting by making things up about me.

Pressing is not a secret. Every single Facebook comic group talks about it. It's spoken about in nearly every comic forum.

It's even been a very thoroughly discussed topic on this very chat forum for a decade. I've personally spent a lot of time on these chat forums making educational posts about grading and pressing. So if I've been discussing pressing and on this chat forum for a decade how or why would anyone here possibly think that pressing could be a secret? (shrug)

You also have no idea how I run my business, which is obvious from your statement. Please stop talking about me and my business when it has nothing to do with the conversation.

Of course I have had books pressed, Matt (before and after CCS), Joey, and others. I have also bought pressed books. I bought from you, didn't I ? :baiting:

I have said many times, I am not against pressing, just bad pressing. It's interesting that I can have an open dialog with someone like Joey, whose business is pressing, and we can keep it civil and informative. Obviously, Joey is very knowledgeable on these topics and can add valuable insight. You, however, with no practical expertise, challenge me on everything.

How is my conversation not civil? Am I not allowed to discuss something I disagree with? Is this a chat forum where everyone just sings Kumbaya?

As I said, if you don't want to have a discussion then just feel free to ignore me. Otherwise, I have a right to an opinion.

You on the other hand do not have a right to keep making discussions personal with me.

I suppose it probably behooves your business model to keep the general comic buying public uneducated about these matters. If you can't buy an undergraded 9.2 at a 9.2 price, you aren't making money.

See, this is where you make it personal and insulting by making things up about me.

Roy, on this point, I will agree with you. I made it too personal, I apologize for that.

I will try and refrain from discussing your business.

May I point out that you always refer to me as an anti presser, is that not personal ? You keep pounding away at it even though I have stated many times I am only anti BAD pressing, big difference.

Roy, on this point, I will agree with you. I made it too personal, I apologize for that.

I will try and refrain from discussing your business.

May I point out that you always refer to me as an anti presser, is that not personal ? You keep pounding away at it even though I have stated many times I am only anti BAD pressing, big difference.

Apology accepted.

The reason I have that perception of you is because you have on more than one occasion commented about badly pressed books at auction when in fact I didn't think they were badly pressed AND you keep saying you're a purist collector which according to my understand traditionally used to mean that purists didn't like pressed books.

Anyhow, I don't want to keep going on and on.

And I have to go.

Agreed. Unmanipulated, original books are best!

Congrats, Barton. Great book, impressive sale. Even with that war chest of funds to work with, my bet is that you'll remain unable to finish your Picture Frame set. :baiting:

Mitch, aloha :hi:

Hope all is well.

Howzit, Peter!

Yes, life is good.

I trust all is well on your end of the globe, as well. :grin:

Thanks for the all congratulations and nice comments. Selling the book has been pretty weird for me and it's still sinking in.

I don't know if I'd say I have any regrets, but I can say owning the book is a lot more fun than not owning it. The money is nice and useful. And I can think of some fun things to do with it. But hookers and blow - a lot of hookers and blow- still won't hold a candle to a really sweet copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Barton I would love to hear what is on your comic book bucket list these days (aside from picture frame stuff)? GA, OA perhaps? :popcorn:

It's probably just the Picture Frames. I'd love to own a Bronze Age Gil Kane or Romita cover. But knowing my collecting habits, I'm afraid to go down that path.

Thanks for the all congratulations and nice comments. Selling the book has been pretty weird for me and it's still sinking in.

I don't know if I'd say I have any regrets, but I can say owning the book is a lot more fun than not owning it. The money is nice and useful. And I can think of some fun things to do with it. But hookers and blow - a lot of hookers and blow- still won't hold a candle to a really sweet copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

We might as well give the top census award for "Hookers and Blow" right now!

Congrats on the sale.

Congrats on the sale....it's never easy to get rid of a book like that!! It is a beauty but 460 000$ can go a long way towards other goals.

But hookers and blow - a lot of hookers and blow- still won't hold a candle to a really sweet copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

I feel like I need to get this put on a t-shirt :headbang:

i'd buy it.

Barton I would love to hear what is on your comic book bucket list these days (aside from picture frame stuff)? GA, OA perhaps? :popcorn:

It's probably just the Picture Frames. I'd love to own a Bronze Age Gil Kane or Romita cover. But knowing my collecting habits, I'm afraid to go down that path.

One cover will lead to two dozen, huh?

A few Kane OA covers plus some hookers and blow sounds like a fun weekend!

Congratulations to the seller/consignor!

If the new owner did buy it hoping to upgrade it.

He/She will receive the same grade judging from those

spine ticks and lower corner.

I really hope it was a collector who bought it to enjoy.

It's a great looking book.

Exactly. I'm a collecting junkie. Once I get a taste, I can't stop.

I'm the same way; I was just telling a buddy that I might as well have needle tracks down my arms, oy! Well you're doing something right if you've got 500k books lying around :)

I'm the same way; I was just telling a buddy that I might as well have needle tracks down my arms, oy! Well you're doing something right if you've got 500k books lying around :)

I'm the same way. Thankfully I've never touched hard drugs. lol

BTW, I got so engrossed in the details of the conversation that I forgot to formally congratulate Barton, although it goes without saying. Congrats!

Congrats Barton!