• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 CGC 9.2 Sells for all time high price @ $460K

147 posts in this topic

Fair enough - my apologies. And congrats on the sale :foryou:

I still find you among the most credible posters I've read on the boards.

Michael is indeed a gentlemen and a scholar ! One of my favorites also.

It is refreshing to see someone admit to being wrong. Doesn't happen too often.

One day I hope to find a Action #1 or a AF 15 at a garage sale.

You ever see the Simpsons where Homer goes to a yard sale and there's an Action #1, AF15, that upside down airmail stamp, and some gold coins and he says, "Oh there's nothing good here!

One day I hope to find a Action #1 or a AF 15 at a garage sale.

You ever see the Simpsons where Homer goes to a yard sale and there's an Action #1, AF15, that upside down airmail stamp, and some gold coins and he says, "Oh there's nothing good here!

Didn't that scene also include a "Strata-who-vius" violin? And dang if that isn't the most famous postage stamp.

Okay, so would you rather have an original 9.2 with some spine ticks or a pancaked 9.4 with flattened spine ticks. I'm glad it got a '9.4 price', it deserved it. However, I am sad a nice book like this will now probably be worked on.

But if it's got color breaking spine ticks on the book, I thought that pressing would not help to enhance the grade of the book as it would simply be left with flattened color breaking white spots or breaks on the book? ???

I guess we'll soon see. I predict coming soon to auction as a 9.4 .

That'd be one helluva dice roll :insane::whistle:

Hey Tom ! :hi:

Maybe but it's still one helluva book ! It could get regraded as a 9.0 and then it would fit nicely into your collection. HaHa !

I sent the book directly to CGC for the re-holder. And CGC shipped it to ComicLink.

Barton, congratulations on an amazing sale!

+1

Barton

MAJOR CONGRATS on the sale!! So happy for you!! And I apologize for some of the snark here and on other threads for humanity as a whole ... :censored::headbang:

Sometimes, the marketplace rewards books that haven't been pressed. I think it's great, and good for the hobby too, that a gorgeous non-pressed, original state high grade key can realize the sale price of a pressed one with a higher numerical grade.

Irrespective of the sale price, this copy is a stunner, and as for the price, it's great that Barton was rewarded for having the eye to buy the book many years ago.

Agreed. Unmanipulated, original books are best!

Congrats, Barton. Great book, impressive sale. Even with that war chest of funds to work with, my bet is that you'll remain unable to finish your Picture Frame set. :baiting:

lol

Hey Tom ! :hi:

Maybe but it's still one helluva book ! It could get regraded as a 9.0 and then it would fit nicely into your collection. HaHa !

lollol

Hey Bob I like your sentiment... :headbang:

When I'm in a hurry I have a habit of rushing out posts without making my thoughts clear.

But you swoop in like a banshee on other people's comments, often interpreting them incorrectly without forgiveness. I just wish you could see how incredibly difficult it is to deal with you on these kind of threads. Always right, always the expert, always on the high moral ground. In this thread, you were wrong. Can you admit that, of course not. Instead you were in a hurry and didn't make your thoughts clear. It's all good though. See you in the next thread.

But, I never 'swoop' in on anyone.

I'm pretty polite when I post and I often admit to being wrong.

My manhood doesn't rest on whether I'm right or wrong. I'm only here for conversation. If my idea of conversation doesn't suit you feel free to ignore me. I dropped the last conversation even though I disagreed with you because you asked me to. Please stop following me around now and making it personal.

Thanks.

When I'm in a hurry I have a habit of rushing out posts without making my thoughts clear.

But you swoop in like a banshee on other people's comments, often interpreting them incorrectly without forgiveness. I just wish you could see how incredibly difficult it is to deal with you on these kind of threads. Always right, always the expert, always on the high moral ground. In this thread, you were wrong. Can you admit that, of course not. Instead you were in a hurry and didn't make your thoughts clear. It's all good though. See you in the next thread.

But, I never swoop in on anyone.

I'm pretty polite when I post and I often admit to being wrong.

My manhood doesn't rest on whether I'm right or wrong. I'm only here for conversation. If my idea of conversation doesn't suit you feel free to ignore me. I dropped the last conversation even though I disagreed with you because you asked me to. Please stop following me around now and making it personal.

Thanks.

Roy, it is inevitable that you and I will clash on certain topics. I'm the 'purist' collector and you're the dealer with a business model of seeking out under graded books for resub. IMO, you troll me. I'm not denying I have been making things personal but don't deny you are without sin also. Your overuse of the laugh emoticon when talking to me is disrespectful. We should be able to converse, I hope we can converse. Talk to you later.............

But you swoop in like a banshee on other people's comments, often interpreting them incorrectly without forgiveness. I just wish you could see how incredibly difficult it is to deal with you on these kind of threads. Always right, always the expert, always on the high moral ground. In this thread, you were wrong. Can you admit that, of course not. Instead you were in a hurry and didn't make your thoughts clear. It's all good though. See you in the next every thread.

Fixed that.

I just checked. According to my count I posted in about 6 or 7 separate threads across both the CGC forum and the Watercooler in the last 3 days.

But thanks for that.

Troll you? I don't troll anyone.

I usually ask questions if your post isn't clear and I state why I disagree when I disagree.

If that's trolling then the entire internet is one giant space troll.

Yes I did use the emoticons. Guilty.

I simply disagree with you because you often post things that don't make any sense to me.

Like cover gloss getting dull from pressing.

Or 'that book looks pressed'.

I'm the 'purist' collector

Bob do you or have you ever had books pressed?

Troll you? I don't troll anyone.

I usually ask questions if your post isn't clear and I state why I disagree when I disagree.

If that's trolling then the entire internet is one giant space troll.

Yes I did use the emoticons. Guilty.

I simply disagree with you because you often post things that don't make any sense to me.

Like cover gloss getting dull from pressing.

Or 'that book looks pressed'.

I'm the 'purist' collector

Bob do you or have you ever had books pressed?

Why does it bother you if I say a book looks pressed ? In this thread I said the book looked original, not pressed. I said it deserved to sell for as much as a pressed 9.4. That did not sit well with you. I suppose it probably behooves your business model to keep the general comic buying public uneducated about these matters. If you can't buy an undergraded 9.2 at a 9.2 price, you aren't making money.

Of course I have had books pressed, Matt (before and after CCS), Joey, and others. I have also bought pressed books. I bought from you, didn't I ? :baiting:

I have said many times, I am not against pressing, just bad pressing. It's interesting that I can have an open dialog with someone like Joey, whose business is pressing, and we can keep it civil and informative. Obviously, Joey is very knowledgeable on these topics and can add valuable insight. You, however, with no practical expertise, challenge me on everything.