• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 CGC 9.2 Sells for all time high price @ $460K

147 posts in this topic

]

Let me rephrase, then - there's no chance this book hasn't been thoroughly vetted to see if it had upgrade potential before going up for sale :shrug:

If by "thoroughly vetted" you mean that I looked at the book for upgrade potential while it was still sealed in the holder, then sure, ok.

If by "thoroughly vetted" you mean it was sent to CGC, ComicLink, CCS, or any pressing service for review, then no, it wasn't thoroughly vetted.

???

Didn't the sale happen through ComicLink?

Yeah that's pretty clear so what are you asking? Did C-Link insist on having it pressed prior to it being sold???

Ghost Town stated that it wasn't sent to "CGC, ComicLink, CCS, or any pressing service for review", yet the book was sold through Comiclink - I simply find it hard to believe they wouldn't have vetted the book for upgrade potential if it came through their hands.

Okay, so would you rather have an original 9.2 with some spine ticks or a pancaked 9.4 with flattened spine ticks. I'm glad it got a '9.4 price', it deserved it. However, I am sad a nice book like this will now probably be worked on.

There's no chance this book hasn't been thoroughly worked on already.

Agreed.

Roy, you absolutely have to be trolling here. In another thread you are slamming me because I postulated the book look pressed. Here, when I say the book looks original, you claim the book was worked on. Since you like emoticons, here are a few for you....

(shrug):mad::sumo::facepalm::makepoint:???:blahblah:

Bob, I don't troll.

What I should have said was that if the book was not worked on then there is likely nothing that can improve the grade that can be removed that will improve the grade (I count about a half dozen spine stresses, I assume there is some tanning due to PQ and I don't know what else).

Roy, you give a '+1' to the statement that the book has been worked on. Then, the original owner refutes this. Now you try to dance out of it with 'what I should have said......' blah, blah,blah. I'm calling BS when I see BS. Can a Virgo ever admit to being wrong ?

]

Let me rephrase, then - there's no chance this book hasn't been thoroughly vetted to see if it had upgrade potential before going up for sale :shrug:

If by "thoroughly vetted" you mean that I looked at the book for upgrade potential while it was still sealed in the holder, then sure, ok.

If by "thoroughly vetted" you mean it was sent to CGC, ComicLink, CCS, or any pressing service for review, then no, it wasn't thoroughly vetted.

???

Yeah that's pretty clear so what are you asking? Did C-Link insist on having it pressed prior to it being sold???

Ghost Town stated that it wasn't sent to "CGC, ComicLink, CCS, or any pressing service for review", yet the book was sold through Comiclink - I simply find it hard to believe they wouldn't have vetted the book for upgrade potential if it came through their hands.

You're still implying or stating something that's not true. ComicLink never had the book in their possession until after the offer was made and accepted.

I sent the book directly to CGC for the re-holder. And CGC shipped it to ComicLink. Yes, ComicLink and the buyer saw large scans of the book before the offer was made and accepted.

That's it. There was no "thorough vetting" other than what I did with my own two eyes. You can continue to find that hard to believe. But you'd still be incorrect and spreading misinformation.

Sometimes, the marketplace rewards books that haven't been pressed. I think it's great, and good for the hobby too, that a gorgeous non-pressed, original state high grade key can realize the sale price of a pressed one with a higher numerical grade.

Irrespective of the sale price, this copy is a stunner, and as for the price, it's great that Barton was rewarded for having the eye to buy the book many years ago.

Okay, so would you rather have an original 9.2 with some spine ticks or a pancaked 9.4 with flattened spine ticks. I'm glad it got a '9.4 price', it deserved it. However, I am sad a nice book like this will now probably be worked on.

There's no chance this book hasn't been thoroughly worked on already.

Agreed.

Roy, you absolutely have to be trolling here. In another thread you are slamming me because I postulated the book look pressed. Here, when I say the book looks original, you claim the book was worked on. Since you like emoticons, here are a few for you....

(shrug):mad::sumo::facepalm::makepoint:???:blahblah:

Bob, I don't troll.

What I should have said was that if the book was not worked on then there is likely nothing that can improve the grade that can be removed that will improve the grade (I count about a half dozen spine stresses, I assume there is some tanning due to PQ and I don't know what else).

Roy, you give a '+1' to the statement that the book has been worked on. Then, the original owner refutes this. Now you try to dance out of it with 'what I should have said......' blah, blah,blah. I'm calling BS when I see BS. Can a Virgo ever admit to being wrong ?

Bob, just don't respond to me anymore. You'll be much happier. lol

Both mschmidt and I are saying pretty much the same thing.

If that sale had anything to benefit from an upgrade, Ghost Town (who is no dummy) or Comiclink would have upgraded the book if there was a shot. That's my belief without talking to either.

I know what you're saying.

When I'm in a hurry I have a habit of rushing out posts without making my thoughts clear.

It's obvious the book wasn't pressed since it retains it's old serial number and it was not regraded. Only reholdered. I've known about the old serial number since the sale was announced a few days ago in another thread.

My new thought is much more clear as about what I believe about the book.

Sue me.

:grin:

Sometimes, the marketplace rewards books that haven't been pressed. I think it's great, and good for the hobby too, that a gorgeous non-pressed, original state high grade key can realize the sale price of a pressed one with a higher numerical grade.

Irrespective of the sale price, this copy is a stunner, and as for the price, it's great that Barton was rewarded for having the eye to buy the book many years ago.

Agreed. Unmanipulated, original books are best!

Congrats, Barton. Great book, impressive sale. Even with that war chest of funds to work with, my bet is that you'll remain unable to finish your Picture Frame set. :baiting:

Congrats, Barton. Great book, impressive sale. Even with that war chest of funds to work with, my bet is that you'll remain unable to finish your Picture Frame set. :baiting:

Mitch, aloha :hi:

Hope all is well.

I have a habit of rushing out posts without making my thoughts clear.

Where is that taken out of context thread again? hm

Jim

BANNED! (tsk)

When I'm in a hurry I have a habit of rushing out posts without making my thoughts clear.

But you swoop in like a banshee on other people's comments, often interpreting them incorrectly without forgiveness. I just wish you could see how incredibly difficult it is to deal with you on these kind of threads. Always right, always the expert, always on the high moral ground. In this thread, you were wrong. Can you admit that, of course not. Instead you were in a hurry and didn't make your thoughts clear. It's all good though. See you in the next thread.

Edited by bomber-bob

The AF15 sale was posted in Silver 5 days before this thread was started. The fact that is was Barton's book was pointed out by me before even Barton chimed in. It was just a matter of quick research to see that his old holder and the new holder had the same CGC number (so confirmation of a reholder and also who it belonged to). Posting that book was worked on/vetted whatever just shows they didn't bother to do the same. Easier to jump to (wrong) conclusions. :eyeroll: But it's all good, what really matters is Barton's record breaking sale.

But you swoop in like a banshee on other people's comments, often interpreting them incorrectly without forgiveness. I just wish you could see how incredibly difficult it is to deal with you on these kind of threads. Always right, always the expert, always on the high moral ground. In this thread, you were wrong. Can you admit that, of course not. Instead you were in a hurry and didn't make your thoughts clear. It's all good though. See you in the next every thread.

Fixed that.

But you swoop in like a banshee on other people's comments, often interpreting them incorrectly without forgiveness. I just wish you could see how incredibly difficult it is to deal with you on these kind of threads. Always right, always the expert, always on the high moral ground. In this thread, you were wrong. Can you admit that, of course not. Instead you were in a hurry and didn't make your thoughts clear. It's all good though. See you in the next every thread.

Fixed that.

:roflmao:(thumbs u

Edited by bomber-bob

]

???

You're still implying or stating something that's not true. ComicLink never had the book in their possession until after the offer was made and accepted.

I sent the book directly to CGC for the re-holder. And CGC shipped it to ComicLink. Yes, ComicLink and the buyer saw large scans of the book before the offer was made and accepted.

That's it. There was no "thorough vetting" other than what I did with my own two eyes. You can continue to find that hard to believe. But you'd still be incorrect and spreading misinformation.

Fair enough - my apologies. And congrats on the sale :foryou: