• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 CGC 9.2 Sells for all time high price @ $460K

147 posts in this topic

Sometimes, the marketplace rewards books that haven't been pressed. I think it's great, and good for the hobby too, that a gorgeous non-pressed, original state high grade key can realize the sale price of a pressed one with a higher numerical grade.

And sometimes they don't reward them and seemingly almost punish them instead. :(

For example, take the non-pressed, original state, verified Stan Lee signed VF+ 8.5 graded copy of AF15 that was only able to fetch a price of more than $35K under the Overstreet condition guide price in the big HA Signature Auction just last summer. (shrug)

This 8.5 book was graded by Voldy, signature placement, and poor scan. This was discussed heavily in the Amazing Fantasy 15 club. Again, the person who step up to the plate and purchased this book is going to do quite well.

I thought the biggest concern was that it was completely overgraded by the other company.

And yet, it got the exact same VF+ 8.5 grade when graded by CGC, albeit without any notation at all for the Stan Lee signature. Not so overgraded after all. hm

That was some peoples' concern.  The scans of the Voldy case didn't do the book justice the first time around. Also, the quality and placement of Stan Lee's signature has cause some doubts on the grade assigned by Voldy. Yes, it's now graded by CGC, and the current market will place a premium price over the other grading company. Since this book was sold about six months ago, Amazing Fantasy 15 in CGC 7.0+ has increased 10-25% in those grades. Following after the Voldy sale, the last publicly sold AF15 CGC 7.0 sold for 65K and a 7.5 sold for 82.5K. I guess, with a CGC 7.5, CGC 8.5 and CGC 9.0 in public auctions in the next few months will determine how strong a trend AF15 in 7.5+ grade will perform.

People were afraid to invest money into Voldemart slabs.

It was probably similar to when CGC started grading. Nobody knew what a slabbed book was and it took some heavy promotion from dealers and collectors to get the ball rolling. There are still people today who won't buy a CGC book because they don't trust the fact that the book is encapsulated.

In a similar vein, lack of confidence would turn people off on a Voldy book in the beginning.

But someone who knows how to buy the book and not the grade got a steal.

I thought the biggest concern was that it was completely overgraded by the other company.

And yet, it got the exact same VF+ 8.5 grade when graded by CGC, albeit without any notation at all for the Stan Lee signature. Not so overgraded after all. hm

Yes, it's now graded by CGC, and the current market will place a premium price over the other grading company. Since this book was sold about six months ago......

.....lack of confidence would turn people off on a Voldy book in the beginning.

Not sure what you mean by "in the beginning" since I believe Voldy has been in business since 2014 and this copy of AF 15 was auctioned off only 6 months ago. (shrug)

Any bets that we'll see a similar rinse and repeat when the ASM 14 comes onto the auction block later this summer, with all the so-called smart money passing on the book until it gets reslabbed into a CGC holder. hm

People were afraid to invest money into Voldemart slabs.

It was probably similar to when CGC started grading. Nobody knew what a slabbed book was and it took some heavy promotion from dealers and collectors to get the ball rolling. There are still people today who won't buy a CGC book because they don't trust the fact that the book is encapsulated.

In a similar vein, lack of confidence would turn people off on a Voldy book in the beginning.

I agree, strengthening the brand and promoting the industry is a win. When Voldermart first started grading, folks were more confident on their standards/market prices of their graded books due to the former reputable CGC graders doing the grading.  During this time, the market prices on Voldermart were almost in par with CGC but with about a average 5% discount. As CGC began to tighten their grading  standards and scrutinize more on certain defects...it made Voldermart standard looser. This was the chance for CGC to regain stronger market confident/prices on books graded by them. I agree, if one has a good eye and can grade up to par with either company...their advantage. Nonetheless, it's sometimes very hard to determine the absolute certain grade of the book unless in hand or out of the case. 

Edited by showcase22gr1959

As CGC began to tighten their grading  standards and scrutinize more on certain defects...it made Voldermart standard looser.

And at the same time, doesn't this also sort of invalidate all of their own previous slabbed books which would have been graded under their previous looser standards. hm

As CGC began to tighten their grading  standards and scrutinize more on certain defects...it made Voldermart standard looser.

And at the same time, doesn't this also sort of invalidate all of their own previous slabbed books which would have been graded under their previous looser standards. hm

Yes, I always check when a book was graded, avoiding the loose periods and embracing the tight periods. You definitely want Haspel era books, very tightly graded, lots of value there.