• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does it help to have a reason.

30 posts in this topic

I don’t think it matters much to me. I either like the art for the price or I don’t. Who knows, maybe the comment leads to a discussion even if I don’t buy the art. I inquire on far more art than I buy and have established lots of contacts and friends doing so.

I am not a heartless person, if it's a sob story I may feel bad for them... But the prices would have to be really low for me to impulse buy something based on that feeling. I wouldn't over pay for something unless I knew the person and was using the purchase as an excuse to help out.

In general, I pay no attention to the story. Not from the seller, but also not from the buyer who wants to tell me how much the art means to him, that he's been looking for it all his life, that it's perfect for his collection, ad nauseum. All I care about is the number. The rest is just noise.

I listened once... and the guy still owns the art. I think he has had it for 4 years or so.

Claudio, you have a couple of pieces that would be perfect for my collection. Try not to be so stingy and open the vault for a fellow collector. :foryou::baiting:

It only works if I actually like the person... :baiting:

:roflmao:

, but also not from the buyer who wants to tell me how much the art means to him, that he's been looking for it all his life, that it's perfect for his collection, ad nauseum. All I care about is the number. The rest is just noise.

I couldn't agree more. What's even worse is when they get mad that you don't buy into it!

That SAID, I have sold a NFS piece, even though I didnt need the money, because it DID belong in said collectors collection much more than mine. It was the first appearance of a character he specifically collected and his gallery showed a dedication to it. Now, he did offer double market value which obviously was a factor in my decision. But, those on here who know me well enough, or have tried to get a NFS piece out of me, an offer of double market isn't enough on its own. In this case, had he been any other collector, I wouldnt have sold it. But the piece really did belong in his collection and it seemed like a win-win.

Steve Borock also did me a similar solid once for an Ultimate Spider-Man cover that he outbid me for on ebay. After he won it he quickly tried flipping for like double or triple which put it at a price I couldnt afford or justify. (This was back in 2008.) I believe I actually begged in that email I sent him. Heh. While he still made a small profit of 200 dollars, Im sure the money wasnt the deciding factor, as much as it was the commitment I had put into my Ultimate Spidey collection. Heck, the comment he left on it said "Glad it went to the right collector."

In general, I pay no attention to the story. Not from the seller, but also not from the buyer who wants to tell me how much the art means to him, that he's been looking for it all his life, that it's perfect for his collection, ad nauseum. All I care about is the number. The rest is just noise.

I listened once... and the guy still owns the art. I think he has had it for 4 years or so.

Claudio, you have a couple of pieces that would be perfect for my collection. Try not to be so stingy and open the vault for a fellow collector. :foryou::baiting:

It only works if I actually like the person... :baiting:

:roflmao:

I really didn't like your pages anyway. I was just trying to make you feel better about your collection :kidaround: