• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Naphtha for cleaning comics???

92 posts in this topic

In general regarding Naphtha and water impact. I was using VM&P Naphtha in the late 80s to remove that green oil transfer stain from inside front covers. It had zero impact on the cover stock and the colors. It also dried quickly with zero residue left behind. I experimented and left covers in the naphtha for 5 hours with zero impact after drying. I have also used it to remove cello tape and stickers BUT the stickers need to have the correct adhesive...one that can be dissolved with a petroleum based solvent like naphtha. It would have no effect on water based adhesives. While Naphtha is flammable and excellent ventilation and gloves should be used, its impact on cover stock is the most benign I have seen.

Pov, Naphtha won't bleach tanned paper though, will it?

No, Naphtha won't bleach paper. It is a solvent that can dissolve certain things like cello tape adhesive or the oil/ink transfer stain. Now I have no idea what Fel's Naptha bar soap would do!

That's what I thought. (thumbs Utah

So the work in the pics above is likely not real and someone is trying to pull everyone's leg.

When I look at it again, it does look like someone is trying to get a reaction out of everyone:

"If you think your presser is better than mine..."

The 181 comics in the Facebook photo are different copies. The two big tells to me are the red art registration next to the vertical dotted black line, there is a white gap between the reds and black dotted line in the after version. And the outer top edge "before" photo shows really dark spots on the outer top edge. These aren't going to go away with a simple "Naptha bath"

Then again, I'm basing this on a likely altered Facey Page photo. :D

And speaking of Naptha, in terms of resto/conso. I think conservation circles tend to have different views on whats acceptable in comic book circles. We are dealing with comic books made from paper which are essentially burning internally over time because of the cheapest materials used to create them. Add to this books taped to the gills that have degraded tape......well the tape needs to come off. And Naptha is among one of several options to soften the old adhesives that are eating into the comic.

Naptha has been used for decades on comics. I have seen examples decades old and never noticed what I would consider rapid degradation of paper quality...if anything I would think the oils washed out of SA book is a plus.

Kenny!

Naphtha is also the go-to cleaner for pinball playfields. It picks up tons of dirt, adhesive used on Mylar, and ground in metal dust without wetting the playfield and swelling the wood grain, which then caused fissures in the playfield paint. I'm not see of what it does to paper fibers, but I'm guessing it has different effects on different types of paper

This is an aside, but in my mind worth noting. About two years ago, I had a bottle of insect repellent in my back pocket when I was going out into the forest to judge some White Pine we needed to cut. Not getting mosquito bites is actually a big deal around here. Worth not doing so I use DEET since I'm past my child bearing years anyways. Long to short, the bottle leaked in that back pocket.

It dissolved every credit card and my drivers license completely. I don't know what the carrier agent in that repellent was but I sure don't carry it that way anymore. ( I still use it since it beats the diseases I can acquire. .

So, wear gloves, wash up, eat pray and read comics.

When I was 16, I purchased xylene for my motorcycle. I'd boost it up to about a 200 octane rating.

lol

How long before you burned up the cylinders?

The recommended amount for my compression ratio was 125 However, I was only shy a little to bring it up to 250 The stuff was $10 a quart in 1980

Boosting octane has the tendency to dramatically increase heat generated, along with pressure. While I am not familiar with motorcycle engines, they are still internal combustion. Taking in the consideration of the time period, the engine was most likely air cooled, which using xylene as a "booster" would more than likely fry the cylinder liners, piston heads, spark plugs and rings in only a matter of hours, if not minutes.

Then the old adage that higher octane is better is completely false. Motors are designed with a fuel in mind and a octane rating to go with it. While putting in 91 octane into your family sedan that is recommended for 89 will not cause any damage, it does screw with timing and other minute details of combustion. Basically lowering your fuel economy and gas mileage. The same if you are driving a higher end sports car and need to use a lower octane fuel to get you to the next fuel station that sells the proper octane.

Luckily in today's world, the engine is managed by extremely intelligent systems that talk to each other and keep a pretty good balance on injection timing and fuel supply. In the old days, with the use of carburetors, you had to manually set the fuel/spark timing by the means of a screw and rotating the distributor cap. In a lot of cases, those without proper training would end up running their engines too lean, causing detonation, or too rich, causing knock. Either way, we all know what the end result is, and a fried cylinder wall or piston head is the least of your worries lol

Stop being so intelligent.

We like the burn baby burn posts.

I'm waiting for the youtube video of the motor blowing up

Just like I'm waiting for comicwiz to light a match next to one of the Naptha books.

For you. This is an aircraft engine, but still relevant

When I was 16 or 17 I read about using naptha to remove ink. I did it on a book, pried open staples, removed cover, poured naptha into my turntable cover, put cover in, and it came right out. Sold my collection to Robert Bell, so I have no follow up other than I never noticed it.

Check scammers use it to alter checks. So it's at least getting past banks.