• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #25 1:1000 Variant
1 1

138 posts in this topic

I guess you could sell the 1st book for $5000

then maybe sell 200-300 for $10 each in the first month, assuming you're a big store (and hopefully the reg cover looks good and has a hot artist). Then after a month put the rest in a box for $5 per. Hopefully you can sell another 200 issues over the next year. Then at the end of the year you can lower the price even more for a big 'special' sale. Then a few months after that you can blow out the rest at $1 per or donate them. Maybe you can get $8000-$9000 of value out of the $5000 investment. Not awful, but I think you've gotta be a big store to front that much cash and profit that much.

Who in the is paying $5k for a variant off the shelf?! I guess we will see how rabid those collectors are. Oh, they will sell for that too.

Someone will

I am one of those people that focuses solely on the ASM title and who has invested a lot of time and money to get a near-complete collection: newsstands, direct editions, variants, even the insane number of 140+ variants of ASM666. When the 1:1000 variants started to appear, I worried that eventually there would be one of these ratio-variants for ASM. Now I ask myself the question: do I want to spend such a lot of money on this book instead of a upgrade of one of my Silver Age books? And if I do, will I be able to find one? And if I find one and spend all this money, what will be next? Another relaunch with 50+ variants? A 1:2000 variant which will cost even more? And if I don't find this variant or I am not willing to pay this money, is there any reason to continue my collection or should I break it off at ASM328, ASM441, ASM700, SS31, ASM18 or ASMRYV5? Or should I stop collecting variants, get rid of all variants I have and just continue with the regulars?

I really don't understand why Marvel does this. The ratio is such that it will not gain them a lot of extra orders. On the contrary, it makes completists like me start to think whether it is better to stop collecting variants or the series altogether. That can't hardly be the intention of Marvel, can it?

I feel for you. I was the same way with Star Wars comics, then Marvel got the license and ... well, let's just say I've had to adjust the way I collect comics.

None of the comic publisher want completist. They feel they can survive on events, variants, and gender changes to established characters. Your loyalty does not matter to them. They don't care. Prices for comics have risen such that they are making more today selling to the dwindling base than they did a year ago. They'll make up for the lost collectors with higher prices and yes, even more variants.

If you enjoy collecting ASM, I wouldn't sell off what you already have. Buy the regular issue if you like reading the title. Buy those variants you like and can afford. And take solace in the fact that there is probably not a complete ASM collection with all the variants anyway. Your collection won't be any different.

Edited by rjrjr

then maybe sell 200-300 for $10 each in the first month, assuming you're a big store (and hopefully the reg cover looks good and has a hot artist). Then after a month put the rest in a box for $5 per. Hopefully you can sell another 200 issues over the next year. Then at the end of the year you can lower the price even more for a big 'special' sale. Then a few months after that you can blow out the rest at $1 per or donate them. Maybe you can get $8000-$9000 of value out of the $5000 investment. Not awful, but I think you've gotta be a big store to front that much cash and profit that much.

Who in the is paying $5k for a variant off the shelf?! I guess we will see how rabid those collectors are. Oh, they will sell for that too.

Someone will

We've seen new Star Wars comics with ridiculous ratios sell for thousands, so a $10 ASM with a ridiculous ratio will sell. Now, if it maintains that value or not is another story altogether.

I am one of those people that focuses solely on the ASM title and who has invested a lot of time and money to get a near-complete collection: newsstands, direct editions, variants, even the insane number of 140+ variants of ASM666. When the 1:1000 variants started to appear, I worried that eventually there would be one of these ratio-variants for ASM. Now I ask myself the question: do I want to spend such a lot of money on this book instead of a upgrade of one of my Silver Age books? And if I do, will I be able to find one? And if I find one and spend all this money, what will be next? Another relaunch with 50+ variants? A 1:2000 variant which will cost even more? And if I don't find this variant or I am not willing to pay this money, is there any reason to continue my collection or should I break it off at ASM328, ASM441, ASM700, SS31, ASM18 or ASMRYV5? Or should I stop collecting variants, get rid of all variants I have and just continue with the regulars?

I really don't understand why Marvel does this. The ratio is such that it will not gain them a lot of extra orders. On the contrary, it makes completists like me start to think whether it is better to stop collecting variants or the series altogether. That can't hardly be the intention of Marvel, can it?

I feel for you. I was the same way with Star Wars comics, then Marvel got the license and ... well, let's just say I've had to adjust the way I collect comics.

None of the comic publisher want completist. They feel they can survive on events, variants, and gender changes to established characters. Your loyalty does not matter to them. They don't care. Prices for comics have risen such that they are making more today selling to the dwindling base than they did a year ago. They'll make up for the lost collectors with higher prices and yes, even more variants.

If you enjoy collecting ASM, I wouldn't sell off what you already have. Buy the regular issue if you like reading the title. Buy those variants you like. And take solace in the fact that there is probably not a complete ASM collection with all the variants anyway. Your collection won't be any different.

I would say if you're an ASM completionist, just go up to issue 700. If you happen to get all the variants and reprints, then start aiming for the 'other' variants - get the price variants, Whitman/directs, the newsstands, the ones that come with toys, the foreign editions, Mark Jeweler's, store variants. Its enough chasing to last you a lifetime, but they're not constantly printing more variants to chase so you can at least feel like you're making progress. And you get to 'discover' new variants to chase, instead of being FORCED into chasing manufactured variants.

Edited by Revat

Someone will

We've seen new Star Wars comics with ridiculous ratios sell for thousands, so a $10 ASM with a ridiculous ratio will sell. Now, if it maintains that value or not is another story altogether.

Yea, Star Wars 1:4999 went for $4k + upon release.

A 9.8 recently sold for $2k and one for $3k.

Edited by ygogolak

If you enjoy collecting ASM, I wouldn't sell off what you already have. Buy the regular issue if you like reading the title. Buy those variants you like. And take solace in the fact that there is probably not a complete ASM collection with all the variants anyway. Your collection won't be any different.

I would say if you're an ASM completionist, just go up to issue 700. If you happen to get all the variants and reprints, then start aiming for the 'other' variants - get the price variants, Whitman/directs, the newsstands, the ones that come with toys, the foreign editions, store variants. Its enough chasing to last you a lifetime, but they're not constantly printing more variants to chase so you can at least feel like you're making progress. And you get to 'discover' new variants to chase, instead of being FORCED into chasing manufactured variants.

I agree, stop at 700. One of the reasons the 667 Dell Otto commands such extreme prices is the fact that ASM completists have to have it. So when it comes up - infrequently as it does - they all have to fight hard for it. It's less about the intrinsic value of the book, and more about the hole it leaves on your wants list. Completists are a little barmy by design, and that barminess extends to paying ridiculous sums for the holy grails. But they're artificially manufactured grails. This new 1:1000 will likely be the final nail in the coffin for many an ASM collector. Marvel are taking the rise and, coupled with the lack of quality in the book itself, the purchase will leave some feeling used. If I could pass down one piece of advice to a new collector it would be "never be a completist". Unless you're very, very wealthy.

While we're at it - completist or completionist?

Danger, Will Robinson!!! Controversy ensues...

I think it should be completionist, because a perfectionist wants perfection and a completionist wants completion... but the definition of completist is the same... I just don't see anyone calling people wanting perfection perfectists.

Danger, Will Robinson!!! Controversy ensues...

I think it should be completionist, because a perfectionist wants perfection and a completionist wants completion... but the definition of completist is the same... I just don't see anyone calling people wanting perfection perfectists.

I'm a Perfectist me! Heh, heh. Completionist is such a mouthful. I don't like it. How about "Nutter"?

I myself am a completist/completionist for certain titles and if I collected ASM I would feel so frustrated by this it would make me want to stop altogether. This would be near impossible for most collectors to obtain. As silly as it may be, I haven't collected the 2010 Wolverine run because I know I can't get the Wolverine/Deadpool #1 variant. I have everything Wolverine from 2013 and up and I remember thinking the 1:500 for Death of Wolverine was crazy....look where we are now less than 3 years later. It really is ridiculous and makes me slightly disgusted at Marvel.

I myself am a completist/completionist for certain titles and if I collected ASM I would feel so frustrated by this it would make me want to stop altogether. This would be near impossible for most collectors to obtain. As silly as it may be, I haven't collected the 2010 Wolverine run because I know I can't get the Wolverine/Deadpool #1 variant. I have everything Wolverine from 2013 and up and I remember thinking the 1:500 for Death of Wolverine was crazy....look where we are now less than 3 years later. It really is ridiculous and makes me slightly disgusted at Marvel.

Spot on. Comics should be fun. Marvel have killed it with greed. When ASM had 49,000 variants for the v3 relaunch I knew the game was up. Without being over dramatic, I feel that everything great about comics is in the past.

Anyone who is still a completist/completionist should write Marvel a letter to thank them for their attempts to break us all from our compulsion to own each and every version of each and every book for a specific run.

Whether they do it by reboot or by variant, their goal of scraping us fifty-something man-babies off their shoe and steering us toward the offices of our prescribing physician should be applauded.

Thank you.

:D

Anyone who is still a completist/completionist should write Marvel a letter to thank them for their attempts to break us all from our compulsion to own each and every version of each and every book for a specific run.

Whether they do it by reboot or by variant, their goal of scraping us fifty-something man-babies off their shoe and steering us toward the offices of our prescribing physician should be applauded.

Thank you.

:D

:roflmao:

Spot on. Comics should be fun. Marvel have killed it with greed. When ASM had 49,000 variants for the v3 relaunch I knew the game was up. Without being over dramatic, I feel that everything great about comics is in the past.

This is exactly when I stopped trying to complete an ASM run

This is exactly when I stopped trying to complete an ASM run

I carried on unfortunately. Those variants cost me a fortune. And the vast majority of the covers were awful. I know, let's get the milkman to do a cover. .....

Several of the publishers realize how silly the limited variants are and see the potential in offering variants as just another copy to order. Not limiting them at all, but instead solicit them alongside the standard cover. I applaud this effort and hopefully Marvel will see this is a better way of gouging their fans.

Several of the publishers realize how silly the limited variants are and see the potential in offering variants as just another copy to order. Not limiting them at all, but instead solicit them alongside the standard cover. I applaud this effort and hopefully Marvel will see this is a better way of gouging their fans.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to have bumped sales. DC has two covers for each issue. Batman is really only doing the same numbers it was during New 52 +/- 10,000.

Personally, this change is bad for my wallet. It's a lot easier for me to ignore Marvel's crazy overpriced incentive variants than it is variants that are priced the same as regular cover. lol

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to have bumped sales. DC has two covers for each issue. Batman is really only doing the same numbers it was during New 52 +/- 10,000.

Quite honestly, the variant covers for Batman kinda suck. The "Night of the Monster Men" covers were particularly bad (both regular and variant). (shrug)

It is hard to say what impact it has had on sales. Batman written by Mikel Janin and/or Tom King (who are they?) is selling as well as Batman written by Scott Snyder. Pretty impressive when you consider how popular Snyder's run was. Do two covers for regular price help? It is hard to say, but it definitely isn't hurting.

Personally, this change is bad for my wallet. It's a lot easier for me to ignore Marvel's crazy overpriced incentive variants than it is variants that are priced the same as regular cover. lol

Ergo Marvel would be better off gouging the fans with variant covers that are distributed the same as the regular cover. Put out 5 - 10 variant covers that way and watch the sales increase.

It is easy to see the variant covers have an impact on sales. I've been following the Star Wars sales and have written about them on my blog. Issues with more variants sell better than issues without them. Make them easier for everyone to get and watch sales increase.

Edited by rjrjr