• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revered artists you just don't get

197 posts in this topic

Oh I forgot to say one for the OP

Dell Otto

Maybe he is fascinating but it just hasn't hit me yet :)

Come to think of it, the only Dell Otto I have is a Wolverine: The Best There Is #1, which I thought was cool but it is a lot like Alex Ross in many aspects (to me).

167557.jpg.85d98b26bf8ece70241d41659e60ac3d.jpg

I am a big fan of villains and think this a a great line up and pretty good art BUT what the hell is with the green light reflecting of so many of these characters?! I'm Scarecrow?! Why? Where is that coming from?! I am confused. Is that coming off Brainiac? It doesn't seem like it would completely engulf him if so. And it appears a lot of their clothing is reflecting not off their face. Okay maybe Sinestro's costume is made of shiny material and the blue would reflect off his face a little but Lex's undershirt is relecting a pinkish/purple on this face?!

5B85416B-FAF3-4815-ACBA-C1C65362F8B6.jpg

I never understood JRJR, or Todd McFarlane. The only thing I ever liked from Frank Miller is his Sin City work.

As for Alex Ross, Dell Otto? Their art rocks, but that Oakman guy kicks mother f-ing azz!

5141cd21410a6053edbb699f4bce6401.jpg

Selfish plug..... :cloud9:

I am a big fan of villains and think this a a great line up and pretty good art BUT what the hell is with the green light reflecting of so many of these characters?! I'm Scarecrow?! Why? Where is that coming from?! I am confused. Is that coming off Brainiac? It doesn't seem like it would completely engulf him if so. And it appears a lot of their clothing is reflecting not off their face. Okay maybe Sinestro's costume is made of shiny material and the blue would reflect off his face a little but Lex's undershirt is relecting a pinkish/purple on this face?!

5B85416B-FAF3-4815-ACBA-C1C65362F8B6.jpg

Where are Black Manta's eyes thats my question.

You know, I love Frank Miller. His Daredevil run is it. But you know sometimes I look at one of his panels and I think, "That's really horrible."

Didn't he draw Superman with a giant bulge or something like that?

He seems to exaggerate genitalia. Have you seen his recent drawings of Elektra? lol

And I don't understand people who don't understand McFarlane. (shrug)

I need to actually read Mcfarlene's Spider-Man stuff because it has mostly been just covers I have seen but of the little interiors I have seen I found the art and especially female faces to be exaggeratedly cartoonish.

I also need to read JRJR's 80's work because I'm never understood the hate for his art but I read some of 90's X-Men stuff and didn't really like it and I read Hearts of Darkness recently and although I got some what used to the art as the issue progressed it was a shock to

the senses and I really don't like his art.

Frank Miller dont mind his earlier Marvel stuff. I don't like his art in DKR. I can't comment on Sin City but his newer stuff I don't like. There was a fairly recent Elektra pin up on a CLink auction where she literally looked like a man. I commented on my distaste for it in the OA section and someone asked if it was the Trannie looking Elektra with the camel toe. I went back and looked at it and sure enough there was significant camel toe. Honestly it was just an over all horrendous piece.

I like Byrne's 70's and 80's X-Men and FF. Once we get into the 90's he loses a lot.

I went back and looked at it and sure enough there was significant camel toe. Honestly it was just an over all horrendous piece.

I think it's done to be purposefully grotesque. That's the only thing that makes sense. Looks like it was drawn by a horned-up teenage boy whose closest shot at landing a female model was the women's underwear section of a JCPennys catalogue.

Sorry Frank. :foryou:

Well I do agree Dell'Otto looks like a less polished Alex Ross. I remember when his 1:25 variants would sit on the shelves for a week, but something happened in the past 6 or so months where everyone is all-in on investing in his variants now. Rather strange.

That Elektra above always bothered me, I don't know what he was going for by doing that to his own character that HE created. Obviously he knew how to draw her correctly but chose not to, out of some weird artistic thing that is 'too deep' for me to get.

Wow two hits against alex ross, I'm not getting why.

I can understand not liking photo-realistic art but that shouldn't be a hit on him.

stk661532-600x925-117810.jpg

CM5SvMtWsAAf1Et.jpg

I like his art but can't pay the prices his art commands and I personally think there are many painters out there that can handle many aspects of painting much better whose art is a fraction the of the price. One complaint I have with his art is there often seem to be glowing light sources and sometimes out of nowhere that bath characters in tints of pinks and blues and such.

I also don't know if I would call his art photorealistic. To be honest there are many other artists who paint those Star Wars characters much better and even his 90's Indiana Jones art was not very Harrison Ford looking especially compared to others who painted on those Dark Horse books.

I am sure this Star Wars piece is a 20K plus piece but at that price I'd want the characters

to look a lot closer to the actual actors. At first glance I thought great piece but as I look closer it looses a lot of luster. Obi-Wans skin texture looks off kind of like he is waxed or is dead and embalmed.

Thanks for this critique.

I loved that Star Wars cover initially because its painted style is so different than what's usually on the stands. But your criticisms are valid. Put in that light, it pales compared to any of the Dark Empire covers Dave Dorman did 25 years ago.

I quite enjoyed the Dorman art, but everyone has good and bad days I suppose. The Luke and Leia in this first picture look significantly worse compared to his second piece.

Dark%2BEmpire%2BI%2B-%2B1%2BThe%2BDestiny%2BOf%2BA%2BJedi%2Bby%2BDave%2BDorman.jpg

Dave_Dorman_009.jpg

I am not a fan of Kirby's 70's DC art. I don't like his Kamandi art and I've posted this cover before.

Dracula looks like an inflatable Halloween decoration and the Wolfman looks more like the cowardly lion.

I have been reading a lot of his 60's Marvel Art and the more of that I've read the more I've liked his art of that period, but his 70's D.C...no thanks.

645F897F-5518-4D0B-8689-A737A735D99E.jpg

There are plenty of comic artists that are broadly admired, but do little for me, and many others that I generally like but have their share of inferior work, and some that probably should have quit before they did, but Byrne is the one who comes to mind when this question is asked. . It don't dislike his work, but it always seemed somewhat generic to me. I've wondered if he had not been the long running X-Men artist when first blew up, would he be any more popular than Sal Buscema?