• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revered artists you just don't get

197 posts in this topic

VERY stiff-I hate stiff art-it's my #1 hate of art. And yep on McFarlane-sucky sucky sucky fanboy art

Pretty much anyone that's drawn a mainstream comic the last 50 years or so.

That doesnt leave very many artists-a few GA third tier artists maybe....

it wipes out kirby, swan, steranko, barry smith, neal adams, wrighton, frazetta, romita, pretty much the whole gamut

prisoner017ac-797x1024_zps3thmizox.jpg

Nuff said.

+1

He kills it on everything except his characters.

Exactly. Kirby did wonderful backgrounds and fantasy scenes around a character, but the character action and the grotesque use of large swaths of black turned me off in the 70s. However, his earlier work, through the 60s, I thought was excellent. Nobody seemed to be as proficient as he was in the day - drawing for numerous titles every month for years.

I'll agree with kavs Jim Lee. Does nothing for me. Stiff, posed.

You claim his art does nothing for you but then you go on to say "stiff". If he is able to arouse you in some manner then I say job well done. Sometimes I just don't get you Bronty.

A lot of Ross' artwork looks quite cold and lacking vitality to me, and quite stiffly-posed or with exaggerated hand gestures, for example. Really liked his work at first, but a very prolific artist whose output ended up feeling quite repetitive.

I'll agree with kavs Jim Lee. Does nothing for me. Stiff, posed.

You claim his art does nothing for you but then you go on to say "stiff". If he is able to arouse you in some manner then I say job well done. Sometimes I just don't get you Bronty.

Well to be fair one could say this about liefeld. 'Job well done'.

Wow two hits against alex ross, I'm not getting why.

I can understand not liking photo-realistic art but that shouldn't be a hit on him.

stk661532-600x925-117810.jpg

CM5SvMtWsAAf1Et.jpg

I like his art but can't pay the prices his art commands and I personally think there are many painters out there that can handle many aspects of painting much better whose art is a fraction the of the price. One complaint I have with his art is there often seem to be glowing light sources and sometimes out of nowhere that bath characters in tints of pinks and blues and such.

I also don't know if I would call his art photorealistic. To be honest there are many other artists who paint those Star Wars characters much better and even his 90's Indiana Jones art was not very Harrison Ford looking especially compared to others who painted on those Dark Horse books.

I am sure this Star Wars piece is a 20K plus piece but at that price I'd want the characters

to look a lot closer to the actual actors. At first glance I thought great piece but as I look closer it looses a lot of luster. Obi-Wans skin texture looks off kind of like he is waxed or is dead and embalmed.

Wow two hits against alex ross, I'm not getting why.

I can understand not liking photo-realistic art but that shouldn't be a hit on him.

stk661532-600x925-117810.jpg

CM5SvMtWsAAf1Et.jpg

I like his art but can't pay the prices his art commands and I personally think there are many painters out there that can handle many aspects of painting much better whose art is a fraction the of the price. One complaint I have with his art is there often seem to be glowing light sources and sometimes out of nowhere that bath characters in tints of pinks and blues and such.

I also don't know if I would call his art photorealistic. To be honest there are many other artists who paint those Star Wars characters much better and even his 90's Indiana Jones art was not very Harrison Ford looking especially compared to others who painted on those Dark Horse books.

I am sure this Star Wars piece is a 20K plus piece but at that price I'd want the characters

to look a lot closer to the actual actors. At first glance I thought great piece but as I look closer it looses a lot of luster. Obi-Wans skin texture looks off kind of like he is waxed or is dead and embalmed.

Thanks for this critique.

I loved that Star Wars cover initially because its painted style is so different than what's usually on the stands. But your criticisms are valid. Put in that light, it pales compared to any of the Dark Empire covers Dave Dorman did 25 years ago.

I like Alex Ross, even bought one of those giclee painting/print but idk, I can take it and think it looks cool in small amounts. I wouldn't buy a lot of his stuff to display because it looks (with the light on figures that comes from out of nowhere) over the top, too dramatic and I think some of this sprinkled throughout adds allure but too much to me seems like trying too hard. :)

Maybe OA or sketches of his are better because the art I think is grrrreat. (thumbs u

I think in my peice when the light in the middle is the focus it makes sense though, that's why I bought it lol

167556.jpg.5ddda11c40e150ca87514028e2ec1cb5.jpg

To quote one of my favorite comic book artists:

"taste in art is subjective, but some art is just plain bad"

to quote one of my favorite comic book artists and favorite artists period:

"There is good art, great art, and art that doesn't interest you. Bad art is the province of snobs." - Robert Williams