• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics:How to ship,not to ship & little tidbits.

60 posts in this topic

3.Use alternate shipping method,UPS or Fed Ex.I have yet to recieve a box or package damaged from them.This may vary,depending on personal experience.

I HATE dealing with UPS/ Fedex as a buyer.

Care to elaborate? confused-smiley-013.gif

I know you love UPS buddy, but they don't deliver at convenient times for anyone that works a typical "9 to 5" job. Pick up is not always an option either as most centers close by the time one arrives home from work. Also if your seller has to pay more to deliver to your office if that is the only place you can accommodate UPS/Fed-ex's shipping schedules. And it may not be convenient to have ebay stuff shipped to your workplace without nosy receiving clerks or bosses that wonder why you have more packages arriving daily addressed to you than the company itself? I think I feel where Rob is coming from as I always had similar experiences as a buyer when things were shipped to me with UPS - and the whole weekend non-delivery is just horrible since that is when most people are free to run errands on their own time.

UPS sucks arse for shipping to Canada, as they charge an azz rape brokerage charge and always charges the appropriate duties and taxes. Plus, like Darth says, unless you are at home, it's a [#@$%!!!] to get it. UPS does not allow packages to be forwarded to their retail outlets for pick-up but instead only to their main depot which is in the industrial boonies area of town. Also, don't want it shipped to work, as I would have to hang around and wait for them.

With fedex express, you can have it forwarded to a retail outlet but not for fedex ground which causes the same problems as UPS except the brokerage charges are more sane. The fact that I don't own a vehicle means that I either take some time off to wait for the package because they are usually huge CGC shipments or ask a buddy to drive me to their depot.

... usually huge CGC shipments ...

Is that code for "actual bra and panties worn by Linda Carter in the filming of the TV series Wonder Woman"?

If it turns you on, yes!

3.Use alternate shipping method,UPS or Fed Ex.I have yet to recieve a box or package damaged from them.This may vary,depending on personal experience.

I know you love UPS buddy, but they don't deliver at convenient times for anyone that works a typical "9 to 5" job. Pick up is not always an option either as most centers close by the time one arrives home from work. Also if your seller has to pay more to deliver to your office if that is the only place you can accommodate UPS/Fed-ex's shipping schedules. And it may not be convenient to have ebay stuff shipped to your workplace without nosy receiving clerks or bosses that wonder why you have more packages arriving daily addressed to you than the company itself? I think I feel where Rob is coming from as I always had similar experiences as a buyer when things were shipped to me with UPS - and the whole weekend non-delivery is just horrible since that is when most people are free to run errands on their own time.

You sum it up nicely. I would MUCH rather deal with the USPS. It's infinitely more convenient for me. And cheaper. And faster. I groan when I get a Heritage package shipped via UPS ground. It's like two weeks worth of waiting and then one day I'm stuck in the house waiting for the damned thing to be delivered. No thanks. I offered to pay more for them to ship big packages via Priority. They didn't take me up on the offer frown.gif.

UPS gets the gasface.

Oh, did I mention the $9.00 bill I got stuck with to return ship two comics sent to the wrong buyer back to me via UPS? The comics that cost $2.50 to ship out to him via good old first class mail? What can brown do for me? Drain my money and waste my time? Sweet!

As for Fedex? Fedex delivered an expensive package that was supposed to be signed for (it was their special "collectible" service) to the wrong house. No signature and they just left it in the hallway. Thankfully the people were nice enough to lug the masonite package down to my house, but if they weren't... frustrated.gif

Given a choice I would choose USPS over either carrier every time.

for sellers, read The Official Overstreet's Comic Book Grading Guide, 2nd Edition - "Shipping your comics" (shameless plug)

What a great engraved invitation to ask you about your bullet point on page 88.

"Do not rule out the use of media mail, as most ads in comic books have expired, and they may not be excluded from the media mail classification."

Let me tell you, it is not fun to use that point to argue with clerks that comics can be sent media mail! Did you ever get an "official" ruling on this?

Just curious,

Marc

As for Fedex? Fedex delivered an expensive package that was supposed to be signed for (it was their special "collectible" service) to the wrong house. No signature and they just left it in the hallway. Thankfully the people were nice enough to lug the masonite package down to my house, but if they weren't...
Kinda like when they delivered my CGC sub with my Amazing Spideys to the Toys R Us a block away one year!

Didn't you moonlight there as a janitor around the Star Wars movie release times just so you could paw thru the new line of figures for variants and fleece the newbie ebayers?
No...never dealt with toys!

I know you love UPS buddy

I don't "love" anyone in particular, I just expect to be treated in a fair manner...

Thanks for the explanation. My wounds have healed from my Austrailia fiasco, and with the online shipping label option it literally saves me hours at the post office; as a result I am slowly coming back to the USPS fold. They still need to add this convenience for international shipments and I think I'll be back full time and all will be forgiven.

I still use USPS for international only because it's less hassle and infinitely cheaper. When I found out the actual shipping charges and the amount of B.S. I had to go through to use UPS for international/Canada shipments (as greggy indicated as well), I reluctantly went back to USPS.

Not that the US government cares, but the way USPS handled my claim cost them hundreds in domestic shipping from me. They are improving their service and options, and I am responding in a positive manner. The Media Mail option looks like a bust though.... Christo_pull_hair.gif

My perspective on how to package...

My mail takes longer to get to me than the typical US addressee and as a rule looks as if it's gone through a meat grinder along the way. Don't know what the military mail guys are doing with the mail but I suspect there a game involving throwing or kicking USPS Priority mailers and boxes somewhere along the line...

The most important part of a package whether it's in a padded envelope or Priority box? Heavy duty cardboard. Make sure the board is attached to the comic bag (hopefully a bag with a bag) and the edges overhang have at least a third of an inch along the sides. If you've done this, you can have an hour of frisbee fun with the package and the comic inside will be generally be safe. Unless it's a CGC slab...

It's my experience that styroform peanuts do little to protect the contents unless the comics are already reinforced with cardboard.

Newspaper is fine as padding but should never be used solely to protect the comics. Even if they are in a bag or board. If you reinforce the comics within 5 or more backing boards, you may be safe using this method but you're taking a risk.

Ensure all comics are in bags (double bags are nice) or surrounded by some other moisture barrier. It rains alot in Europe and I've received boxes that were wet to the touch but the comics inside were fine due to extra bagging of comics.

Tape boxes securely. Use lots of tape. It seems like alot of my packages arrive retaped by the postal guys. But I've never had anything missing from a box I've received. It's annoying as hell though...

Jim

UPS sucks arse for shipping to Canada, as they charge an azz rape brokerage charge and always charges the appropriate duties and taxes. Plus, like Darth says, unless you are at home, it's a [#@$%!!!] to get it. UPS does not allow packages to be forwarded to their retail outlets for pick-up but instead only to their main depot which is in the industrial boonies area of town. Also, don't want it shipped to work, as I would have to hang around and wait for them.

With fedex express, you can have it forwarded to a retail outlet but not for fedex ground which causes the same problems as UPS except the brokerage charges are more sane. The fact that I don't own a vehicle means that I either take some time off to wait for the package because they are usually huge CGC shipments or ask a buddy to drive me to their depot.

UPS to Canada is a nightmare. The first 6 times I shipped I had a problem 4 times. Actually 3 times it was the buyer's problem getting hosed with UPS charges and duties (sometimes exceeding the cost of the books).

Overall, I'm amazed at the efficiency of USPS, far and away teh best bet and value for shipping. Probably less than 1% of my mailings ahve any kind of problem attributed to too rough handling or loss. If there's a problem it's usually due to the sender who (often despite pleas and extra $ from me to ship it properly) mails it improperly packaged.

My only gripe with USPS is that over the years I notice "trouble" branches where the clerks are such miserable SOBs. One is near the Wyndmoor PA SEPTA station where EVERY clerk has a major attitude; e.g., will reject your package if the slightest thing is wrong with it that doesn't perfectly meet "specs". For other services they make sure they convey to you they're annoyed and doing you a big favor waiting on you (what I call "the Burger King attitude"). I stopped going there in favor of downtown 8th and Market, where I never have a problem. In fact, the clerks there do a good job handling a lot of jerk customers, and go out of their way to help those old people and foreigners who are clueless.

I agree USPS is pretty good.

The key being proper packaging. If you pack it correctly, it should survive no problem.

The same can be said for the other carriers as well.

Though working in shipping and receiving for 17 years, I have seen how 'well' some of these other carriers work. All I can say, is NEVER use FedEx ground.

Ever!

They manage to beat, mangle, and destroy way too many packages.

All their delivery drivers are basically subcontractors that get paid by the package.

I can't count the number of times I watched them kick packages off the truck, because they were too lazy to bend over and pick it up. Even more interesting when the floor of the truck is coveres with a few inches of half melted slush in the winter from them walking in and out of it.

I'm lucky. My local PO has a great crew of people.

All helpfull and friendly. Never give me a hastle about media mail shipment. And actually act like they are glad to see me (maybe because I actually know what I am doing)

Wasn't always like this though. When I first started doing ebay, half the staff at the PO was ignorant and sour. I actually had to print a page from the USPS site to prove that a package could be shipped letter post air (they thought only letters could be mailed that way).

Thankfully, over the years they have gotten rid of the bad apples and filled the place with great people.

The key being proper packaging. If you pack it correctly, it should survive no problem.

Though working in shipping and receiving for 17 years, I have seen how 'well' some of these other carriers work. All I can say, is NEVER use FedEx ground.

Ever!

All their delivery drivers are basically subcontractors that get paid by the package.

I can't count the number of times I watched them kick packages off the truck, because they were too lazy to bend over and pick it up. Even more interesting when the floor of the truck is coveres with a few inches of half melted slush in the winter from them walking in and out of it.

All helpfull and friendly. Never give me a hastle about media mail shipment. And actually act like they are glad to see me (maybe because I actually know what I am doing)

Wasn't always like this though. When I first started doing ebay, half the staff at the PO was ignorant and sour. I actually had to print a page from the USPS site to prove that a package could be shipped letter post air (they thought only letters could be mailed that way).

Thankfully, over the years they have gotten rid of the bad apples and filled the place with great people.

I'd have to say both of the POs in my area are OK too.

My official PO is out of my normal traveling area most of the time so I use the next ZIPs one. They are right next to Wegmans, were I get 90% of my eats. yay.gif

Ever!

I'd have to say both of the POs in my area are OK too.

My official PO is out of my normal traveling area most of the time so I use the next ZIPs one. They are right next to Wegmans, were I get 90% of my eats. yay.gif

My PO people always seem to groan when i walk in. Probably because i just mean more work for them 27_laughing.gif

Personally I find that it's all about the packaging. As long as there's good sturdy cardboard sandwiching the book(s) (Aces... backing boards are NEVER ok... NEVER) then you should be fine for the most part. The problem comes in that people grab any cardboard and think that's fine. I've had many shipment damaged because the shipper used soft cardboard and it bent. You also need to be concious about the "grain" of the cardboard. Make sure the ribbing of the cardboard goes from top to bottom on the comic... not side to side because that's easy to bend.

I do agree that the faster shipping option are preferable. The reason being that most heavy boxes will be shipped cheaply. If your comics are on the conveyor belt with those heavy things then they're more likely to get crushed when they get into the shipping carts. Shipping Priority Mail knocks out alot of the heavy [#@$%!!!].

As for shippers... I've never had more problems with one over the other, but that's only since I sprung for the money on a mail box at an independant company. I use a franchise called Postal Connection. They can accept packages for me from USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL. That way I don't have any of the shipping companies just leaving my stuff on my porch in plain view of the street. I do prefer the USPS due to their rates, but that's about it.

1:Always mark all packages "Do Not Bend" or better yet "Fragile",none of my damaged packages had this on them.

check! I got red stampers with both! thumbsup2.gif

I don't mean to disagree, but mostr mail people don't seem to care. I have received plenty of packages damaged with those words on them.