• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics:How to ship,not to ship & little tidbits.

60 posts in this topic

So I have recieved my 2nd damaged package from the USPS in less than a week.I guess if you want to count my Priority box that was smashed in the middle that's 3 in a month.I don't know if I should just laugh it off,blow a fuse,or just quit buying through the mail alltogether.So to better educate ebay sellers I have made a list of do's & dont's for those who obviously don't know.Unfortunately the ruthless pigs at the PO don't care how they handle packages sumo.gif

1:Always mark all packages "Do Not Bend" or better yet "Fragile",none of my damaged packages had this on them.

2:If you send in a box please tape it up good,not just a piece of tape on the flap like a comic,but the whole top or bottom,unlike the box I recieved today.

3.Use alternate shipping method,UPS or Fed Ex.I have yet to recieve a box or package damaged from them.This may vary,depending on personal experience.

4:If using USPS always opt for the fastest shipping method whether buying or selling.This way it gives them less time to damage your shipment & that's a good thing.God only knows what they do to your package in the week or 2 they have it,but I have a pretty good idea!

5:Purchase insurance for expensive items.Or for sellers make it mandatory.This way your buyers can get their money back when their package gets damaged,very high probability if your sending it my way.

6:DO NOT USE BACKER BOARDS FOR CARDBOARD! If you are insane enough to do this at least tape them to the comics.

7:Say a prayer everynight.I don't care if your religious,athiest,or whatever....cause you'll need it.

8:Never ship Media Mail or BPM....read # 4.

This concludes our dicussion for the day....I would like to add I don't mean to offend anyone that may ship the above ways or methods,but in all fairness how would you like to recieve damaged comics that was due to improper packaging?Every little bit helps as it's your responsibility as a seller to deliver a quality product.If anyone has anything to add feel free to do so.This is my sign-rantpost.gif but I'm sure some of you feel the same... hi.gif

It find it even more soul destroying when i recieve my comics in a envelope, no backing board, no do not bend sign, posted second class, folded in half with an elastic band holding my bills to it and squeezing in the edges of the comic.

3.Use alternate shipping method,UPS or Fed Ex.I have yet to recieve a box or package damaged from them.This may vary,depending on personal experience.

I HATE dealing with UPS/ Fedex as a buyer.

for sellers, read The Official Overstreet's Comic Book Grading Guide, 2nd Edition - "Shipping your comics" (shameless plug)

For Buyers, Email your seller to confirm copacetic shipping practices... or don't buy their books.

Or save all your ebay money and attend some conventions and buy in person. That's the ticket! (aged myself)

1:Always mark all packages "Do Not Bend" or better yet "Fragile",none of my damaged packages had this on them.

check! I got red stampers with both! thumbsup2.gif

2:If you send in a box please tape it up good,not just a piece of tape on the flap like a comic,but the whole top or bottom,unlike the box I recieved today.

check! Priority tape is free and I use it liberaly! thumbsup2.gif

UPS losses packages to my house!

Twice out of maybe 20(?) times.

USPS once out of 500(?) times.

4:If using USPS always opt for the fastest shipping method whether buying or selling.This way it gives them less time to damage your shipment & that's a good thing.God only knows what they do to your package in the week or 2 they have it,but I have a pretty good idea!

check! thumbsup2.gif Except cheap large packages of readers.

5:Purchase insurance for expensive items.Or for sellers make it mandatory.This way your buyers can get their money back when their package gets damaged,very high probability if your sending it my way.

check! thumbsup2.gif

6:DO NOT USE BACKER BOARDS FOR CARDBOARD! If you are insane enough to do this at least tape them to the comics.

blush.gif But I use like 4-6 plus the ones in the bags. Izat OK? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

7:Say a prayer everynight.I don't care if your religious,athiest,or whatever....cause you'll need it.

check! thumbsup2.gif

See number 4... gossip.gif

I mark all my packages with "Fragile/Do Not Bend" on them in large letters. On more than one occasion I've had Postal Workers just laugh at it, like it is an insult. I'm wondering if once I leave they search them out & beat the hell out of them.

Great post, I agree with all but this one. I send and receive Media or Bound Printed Matter packages through USPS all the time. I never have a problem with this service, however if the seller breaks one of your other rules, such as not enough tape, no "do not bend" or "fragile" notes, etc. then yes, there is probably more of a chance of damage than with Priority. But as long as you ship smartly there is NOTHING wrong with using these services. As I said, I do all the time and have no problem with it. I've sent maybe 1,000 packages Media or BP and received maybe 200 this way.

Here's another thing that gets me mad,you pay for Priority Mail & it takes over a week to ship....so what's the point! I try to get my packages out within 2 days,seldom it'll take more,many many times I've shipped the same day.I usually email & let em know when I ship,just makes good business,speaking of which I need to get some more comics & mags to sell........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

for sellers, read The Official Overstreet's Comic Book Grading Guide, 2nd Edition - "Shipping your comics" (shameless plug)

For Buyers, Email your seller to confirm copacetic shipping practices... or don't buy their books.

Or save all your ebay money and attend some conventions and buy in person. That's the ticket! (aged myself)

Had to look up copacetic. hail.gif

Dan

I would like to add I don't mean to offend anyone that may ship the above ways or methods,...

How about "the ruthless pigs" that belong to these boards? sumo.gif893censored-thumb.gif

but in all fairness how would you like to recieve damaged comics that was due to improper packaging?

We've all been there done that? happens, get over it... sleeping.gif

Every little bit helps as it's your responsibility as a seller to deliver a quality product.

So if it's the seller's responsibility, why drag postal workers thru the mud?

If anyone has anything to add feel free to do so. This is my sign-rantpost.gif but I'm sure some of you feel the same... hi.gif

I'll be glad to add something...

Hmm...next time I'll mail you a comic in just an envelope and put these magic words on them and see if they'll weave their magic spell of protection? You let me know

If you are using a USPS priority box, the adhesive on the flaps should suffice. If not, Yeah tape 'em top to bottom

It's your money. But it's the law of probablilities - the more you use any shipping service, the increased chance you have to receive something damaged. The way I look at it, you end up paying UPS or Fed-ex more to f'k up your books' conditions confused-smiley-013.gif

4:If using USPS always opt for the fastest shipping method whether buying or selling. This way it gives them less time to damage your shipment & that's a good thing. God only knows what they do to your package in the week or 2 they have it,but I have a pretty good idea!

How is this different from the other packaging services - the less time it spends in their respective mailstreams, the less likely the package is exposed to risk of damage? You think UPS workers cradle your $1.00 book from the quarter bin like a newborn baby when they ship it to you? Come to the Northern VA UPS centers where I live and I'd be glad thrilled to see the look on your face when your fantasy world shatters right before your eyes... but go ahead and use whatever service will allow you the peace of mind to sleep at night foreheadslap.gif

This goes without saying sleeping.gif

Buy from the right people and you should not run into these problems. Take a chance on ebay sellers who don't deal in comics most of the time or are newbies who found a box of old comics in a garage and are selling, just to save a buck or two, and you get what you pay for. These types of sellers are foreign to the meticulousness, dare I say it, "analness" of comic collectors when it comes to condition. As long as they got paid and the book got to you guys is the main concern for these types of sellers, not the condition you receive them. Sometimes you get lucky but for the most part you don't and that's the risk you take in buying outside "the community".

This is the only one I can agree with. Everyone needs prayer.

I've shipped media mail (and other services as well) my whole ebay career since 1998 and have not had one solitary problem with media mail getting lost, to me or from me. For shipping to guys in Virginia, for example, it is like using overnight - Rocketeer lives in Richmond - I'm in Northern VA - we've had overnight deals to and from each other. I've dealt with guys in VA beach with the same rate of success and speed. I've mailed up and down the east coast and got feedback within Priority rate timeframes

Maybe I was a little hasty with my response, but think first who you are coming at before you denigrate them? from your post, I'm getting a dislike for the USPS but it is the sellers who are not packaging properly? Are you saying that a comic sent in only its bag and backing board with your address written on the board would arrive at your door intact as long as you use anything other than USPS to send it? Face it, all delivery services have their problems. Non of them are perfect and depending on where you are in the country, you'll have different experiences...period. Now given this knowledge, I'd be more firm dealing with the sellers you are buying from to make sure they are packing their shipment to you in light of these issues, regardless of which service they use. "Don't shoot the messenger..." literally.

I HATE dealing with UPS/ Fedex as a buyer.

Care to elaborate? confused-smiley-013.gif

I know you love UPS buddy, but they don't deliver at convenient times for anyone that works a typical "9 to 5" job. Pick up is not always an option either as most centers close by the time one arrives home from work. Also if your seller has to pay more to deliver to your office if that is the only place you can accommodate UPS/Fed-ex's shipping schedules. And it may not be convenient to have ebay stuff shipped to your workplace without nosy receiving clerks or bosses that wonder why you have more packages arriving daily addressed to you than the company itself? I think I feel where Rob is coming from as I always had similar experiences as a buyer when things were shipped to me with UPS - and the whole weekend non-delivery is just horrible since that is when most people are free to run errands on their own time.

I'm wondering if once I leave they search them out & beat the hell out of them.

No. That would be just plain stupid on their part as tampering with mail with malicious intent is the quickest way to get disciplined or lose their job. Don't know what is worth more - keeping my civil service job with sweet arse benefits or retaliation against a customer for a perceived slight against my bruised ego. confused-smiley-013.gif