• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm opening up a brick and mortar this year and want some advice!!
7 7

725 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

Regarding space, you can save it by going vertical.  If you were to take a long box and cut it into 5 pieces and stagger them vertically, you can cut its footprint by at least 1/3.  You can put the more expensive stuff or stuff you don't want handled too much up high.

You can also try local fabricators to custom build you something.  It'll probably cost more, but it'll be tailored to your store.  If you have a maker space in your area, it might be a good source for that.

I agree.  I've been in many shops that have more valuable books "out of reach".  IE they are on the wall about 8-9 feet up---close enough that customers can see the book, but far enough away that they cannot handle them without help.  This should minimize any handling damage as well as potential theft loss....

Great update by the way---thank you for sharing and I'll add my "best of luck to you" on to the pile of the other well-wishers!

On 6/23/2017 at 6:17 PM, SteppinRazor said:

You should certainly be priced higher than ebay.

People will justifiably pay more for the convenience, ability to see the actual book, and the customer experience if you create a good one.  If you hire employees, hire extroverts

This is only true for older books. And they're given a grade. And the grade is accurate. Your premium prices have to be the result of the confidence you are giving your buyers that the book you are selling IS the grade you are advertising.

If you are thinking that you are going to move non-key copper or modern books at eBay prices or above you are going to lose. Hypothetically you could charge a premium for newer books IF you made the effort to differentiate the VF books from the VF/NM from the NM- from the NM from the NM+ to NM/MT but the time it would take you to do that makes it a non-starter.

You want turnover with back issues, you aren't looking to maximize your profit on every single book. You need to move inventory so you can continually buy more collections and give back issue buyers a reason to regularly visit your store. Cover price or less is your friend.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:42 AM, Andahaion said:

Excuse me if someone already spoke to this, but because I just went through it yesterday thought I'd mention it here...

I travel a few times a month for work.  When I know I'll have a few hours to kill I search for stores to visit while I'm out of town.  I like to visit stores that have back issues and a nice selection of graphic novels, toys, statues, maybe art, etc.  But back issues are a must for me because I don't really collect anything modern.  I was supposed to be in Albany, NY today (flight was canceled), so was looking at stores online last night.  My suggestion to you is that if you have an online presence please give us some idea of what you have in your store.  Doesn't have to be a catalog of books, but a simple "we carry current and back issue comics".  Or better yet, maybe give a little more info on the scope/depth of what you carry...like "we carry current, bronze, and occasionally silver age comic books, plus statues, games, MTG...".  Help me spend my money in your store, you know?

More often that one may guess, a store's website is lacking this (obvious to me) info.  I then search this forum (good practice anyway) to glean info about the store.  I'll also read online reviews and scan pictures to see if any posters mention/show back issues.  I'd much rather save myself some time and get this info from the store's website, but sometimes it's just not there for whatever reason.

Actually its much easier than this. You don't even need a website. Just make sure your store shows up on google search results. Make sure the address and hours are correct. And make sure you have a couple of pictures showing the interior of your store that gives inquiring minds a good idea of what you carry. That is all you need.  

1 minute ago, darkstar said:

Actually its much easier than this. You don't even need a website. Just make sure your store shows up on google search results. Make sure the address and hours are correct. And make sure you have a couple of pictures showing the interior of your store that gives inquiring minds a good idea of what you carry. That is all you need.  

You'd think it's easy, and obvious, but I run into this all the time.  Quite irksome and maybe a little lazy, but who knows with people.  Could be anything.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:33 AM, FineCollector said:
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:59 AM, the blob said:

ebay vs. OSPG?

what are you going to price your run of the mill filler stock at?  overstreet would make it unsellable if you make it all $3-$5. but if you make stuff worth bagging and boarding $2, crappier stuff goes in the $1 or less box.  the $2 stuff can be discounted 25-50% once or twice a year in a sale announced to everyone on your email list to try and move it.

if you price decent stuff that has not seen an ebay spike at overstreet with people understanding you round down for multiple purchases and are willing to negotiate, i think that might be useful. you want people buying a stack.  if you cut the price, then so be it.

Agree.  There are plenty of books I buy for a dollar that I would've been happy buying at $2-3 each, so don't short yourself right away.

If you're going to run your own store, be the authority and set your own pricing.  Annotate your Overstreet so you know where you want to be on things.  Strict Overstreet pricing tells customers that they're not getting any deals by shopping with you, and that can be a turn off.

Remind people that Overstreet is a guide, and not a rule.  You're allowed to be over Overstreet, if you can defend the price, and use your salesmanship.  Like "why are your Amazing Spideys so expensive?"  "They're highly collectible, and it's harder for me to find Spidey runs than some other titles.  If you want to get something cheaper in the same genre, have you tried Firestorm?  I price those at a dollar, but they're a great read, John Ostrander is one of my favorite writers..."

I agree with this. $1 books can be very profitable as well. One of LCS's before he retired made 50% of his money on $1 books monthly and he did that for almost 20 years. You buy by the box or collection and pay pennies on the dollar and its easy to recoup your cost.

6 hours ago, darkstar said:

This is only true for older books. And they're given a grade. And the grade is accurate. Your premium prices have to be the result of the confidence you are giving your buyers that the book you are selling IS the grade you are advertising.

If you are thinking that you are going to move non-key copper or modern books at eBay prices or above you are going to lose. Hypothetically you could charge a premium for newer books IF you made the effort to differentiate the VF books from the VF/NM from the NM- from the NM from the NM+ to NM/MT but the time it would take you to do that makes it a non-starter.

You want turnover with back issues, you aren't looking to maximize your profit on every single book. You need to move inventory so you can continually buy more collections and give back issue buyers a reason to regularly visit your store. Cover price or less is your friend.

it's definitely important for grades to be accurate, but I know for me if I can walk out of a store with a $2 book that is $1.50 on ebay, I'm going to.  I'm not going to go through ebay and wait til it arrives in the mail to save 50 cents or a buck over having it in my hand, having it now, and not worrying about whether it's in as good condition as it looks in a picture.  Where that line is for people may differ, but there's value added by being able to walk into a place, look at the book, buy it, and walk out in minutes instead of waiting days for it to arrive in the mail.

6 hours ago, darkstar said:

Website doesn't hurt.  Never underestimate what the internet and social media can do.  A local store tweets every time they pick up a new collection and it helps.

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Website doesn't hurt.  Never underestimate what the internet and social media can do.  A local store tweets every time they pick up a new collection and it helps.

Tweeting that you've picked up a new collection is a very smart idea!

10 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Of course it doesn't hurt. My post was addressing the bare minimum an owner needs to do to turn internet traffic into store visits. If you make it known that your store has back issues by attaching a picture of your store's interior to the business info on Google, then you will attract buyers that live nowhere close to your store. 

Sounds like it's coming together nicely.

You might want to think about having a soft opening with a Grand Opening party a week or so later. Consider the first two weeks a preview or shakedown cruise.

One time saver and inventory helper is to price cheaper books using a sticker system. Purple stickers are $1, orange are $2, red are $3, etc,etc.  Every two months or so,change the shape or size of the label. If you start with quarter inch round stickers, then switch to square stickers, you'll be able to easily identify stale inventory.

Best of luck.

Do you have a network of collectors that may be willing to sell leaving you a profit on books you might not otherwise see to help out with want/wish lists that you accumulate?

1 hour ago, Comicdey said:

Do you have a network of collectors that may be willing to sell leaving you a profit on books you might not otherwise see to help out with want/wish lists that you accumulate?

I have a small group of people that I know that have some books, as well as 2 stores that I will be working with...one is relatively close by and the other is a county away.  And these boards are always a good place to get books that I may not be able to find in the wild.  

1 hour ago, Comicdey said:

I have a small group of people that I know that have some books, as well as 2 stores that I will be working with...one is relatively close by and the other is a county away.  And these boards are always a good place to get books that I may not be able to find in the wild.  

3 minutes ago, Genesis Comics said:

I've relished your updates and all of the subsequent replies by people on the Board here---I think you're going to be a very successful enterprise as it seems you've thought everything through and have back up plans for every scenario.  You've also sought advice from some real seasoned people here and elsewhere that probably cut days and dollars off your budget.  If I am ever in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to stop in and bring cash!  I think everyone here is rooting for you----it is always nice to see a brick and mortar shop in this digital age!

Firstly, good luck with your venture, if this is your dream, then go for it and if you are as committed as you say, I think you can make it work.

To keep people interested in coming to your shop, always try to get new, fresh stock in, I hate it with shops where they just have the same old stock every single time you go there,

it's virtually the same old stock every time, even a few years later, they still have the same stuff.

In January, have a half price sale, get rid of all the old stock. Be prepared by keeping a few bits aside every so often from collections bought in, to have a big revitalisation of lots of new stuff come February, the stuff that does not sell in your half price sale, don't just put it back up to full price again, just mark it down and keep it down at whatever the half price is, turn it over.

Try to have a good supply of new stuff in November, ready for Christmas time, have busts, statues, vintage toys like star wars etc

Keep the shop clean and tidy, to many times do I see dirty dusty shelves for new stuff.

Do a table at the odd show near by, few boxes, just so all the people travelling to the show can find out about your shop and hopefully drop in and spend a few pennies.

Create loyalty cards, be friendly with customers, know your product, good graphic novel section for people who just want to read and dropping in on the off chance because they like the films.

Definitely have a basic ebay shop with some of your prized merchandise, this should encourage people to come to your shop if not to far or maybe phone with enquiries to see if there's anything on their wants lists.

Have small events, signings, etc Change most of your wall stock weekly, I go in a lot of shops and they have the same stuff on the wall from years ago, lol, someone might be caught in by a cover they never knew about.

Be fair with prices, buying in, and selling, $1 boxes will do good, but again need to be filled with new stock on a regular basis. 

Best of luck ;-) with it, hope it does well, herc

can't remember if this was brought up, but after a year in business, I agree with rick that you need to buy at least $10,000 in new merch a month from the start to keep it viable or at least close to that number. gl

Edited by youmechooz

On 7/29/2017 at 11:06 AM, youmechooz said:

can't remember if this was brought up, but after a year in business, I agree with rick that you need to buy at least $10,000 in new merch a month from the start to keep it viable or at least close to that number. gl

How's it's going for you?

So, I've run into my first "real" issue.  The location I am taking over has a tenant currently.  The landlord told me that this wasn't an issue and that the tenant was month to month and all will be fine.  We had agreed verbally to getting the keys on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.  The lease says the 10th, so I had initially planned on the 10th and anything earlier was gravy, but he mentioned more than once that the place would be ready for me by the 2nd or 3rd and I would have the keys as soon as he turned them in.  Yesterday, I drove by the location, hoping to see it closed and cleared out, just needing the landlord to take down the wall in the middle of the location, and instead of that, what I saw was the Tuxedo shop, still open and doing business???  I had earlier in the week called the landlord asking if I could go in and make 2 measurements.  I was told that the gentleman who was in the tuxedo shop "did not want to be bothered".  It wasn't "make or break" on getting the measurements, so I just chalked it up to a guy who was unhappy that he has to close his business because it was no longer making money, he doesn't owe me anything,  but it did put a concern in my mind.

My wife had a co-worker call the shop and ask about renting a tux and although he was told that the location was closing and he was no longer renting, he would be there until the middle of August?????

I immediately called the landlord to voice my concerns and I was told to not worry, he would speak with him.  

I explained that I was worrying as the information he "promised" was not coming to fruition and along with that  I had another issue, I have my first Diamond order coming in on the 2nd.  He told me again, "don't worry"...this is his favorite saying btw lol, the guy in the shop will take it in for me when it comes in.  I asked him why would he do that when he won't even let me in to measure the bathroom?  Why would I trust this guy with a few hundred dollars in product?  I called Diamond and they offered to get in touch with USPS (couldn't hold or re-route the order).  Luckily I have a USPS one town over and they are able to hold the delivery for pick up.  I know some of you will wonder why I had the order shipped so soon, but orders have to be placed well in advance, and even if I wasn't open, I was promised to have the keys.   

I tried to explain the "shelf life" of new comics.  I  explained that new comics have a shelf life, like milk...that if I didn't sell the new comics in the first 5 days, that there was a 75% chance that they wouldn't sell at all (I don't know how realistic that number is, but I had 3 different shop owners tell me that). That being said, I realized the first delivery or 2 would be there before I officially opened, but NOW, it may be 3 or 4 which is the real issue!!!  He did not seem to understand my "milk" comparison.  Don't get me wrong, this won't "break me" but it's still $$ being spent that has less of a chance of a return, which I've read is not good for a business lol.  More aggravation and anxiety than anything...

I'm sure that most of you will say, and I agree, that if it's not in writing, I shouldn't have any expectation.  But he OFFERED that I would have the keys by the first few days.  I assumed (and we ALL know what happens when one assumes) that based on the relationship he had with the tenant, when I originally looked at the space (he seems to have a great relationship with all the tenants I spoke to) that it would go smoothly and there would be no issue.  

Just needed to vent a bit, so thanks for listening.  It's just aggravating as I have so much to do and my time frame is now all screwed up, including the people I had helping me...more than a few friends who were available to help to get me set up, have vacations the 3rd week in August...

So thanks for listening!  I called him again today and he assured me (we will see how that goes) that he will be out by the 10th...we will see...keep your fingers crossed!!!

And if your LCS sells out of any books this week, send me a PM lol!!

Well, good luck.  I'd consider the landlord breaking a verbal promise to be a concern.  It is reassuring that other tenants seem to have a good relationship with him.   I wouldn't complain too, too hard as that might make your relationship with the landlord quite strained.