• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to price a Pedigreed book?

34 posts in this topic

So I just got the grade etc. for my Whiz 24 and lo and behold - its a Rockford! I had no clue when I bought it all those years ago, and its a nice surprise. But, I was looking to sell it and have no clue what a Pedigree adds to the value. CGC gave it a nice 8.5.

Thanks!

Never really thought of Rockfords as a pedigree that gets a premium.

If it presents well and has nice page quality you can always ask for more than gpa but don't expect a windfall.

I don't think you will get a premium it will likely sell for whatever any other 8.5 would sell for.

+1

Probably the best you can hope for is just a marginal increase, if even any at all, since this is not one of the in-demand pedigrees that collectors would go out of their way to search for.

Rockford (at least some) have a distinctive stamp. Check comicbookpedigrees.com for examples.

I don't think you will get a premium it will likely sell for whatever any other 8.5 would sell for.

I saw the stamps on that site - I have to wait for the book to come back. As I said I wasn't aware it was a pedigree, so I assume it has a stamp on it somewhere.

Thanks - I don't really understand the premium for Pedigrees.

Rockford (at least some) have a distinctive stamp. Check comicbookpedigrees.com for examples.

I saw the stamps on that site - I have to wait for the book to come back. As I said I wasn't aware it was a pedigree, so I assume it has a stamp on it somewhere.

I don't think there are many pedigrees that consistently get a premium. Church copies typically do. San Francisco/Reilly, Larson, Curator, and Okajima (particularly from the camp era) generally do.

Hit or miss for the other pedigrees, I think.

+1

Probably the best you can hope for is just a marginal increase, if even any at all, since this is not one of the in-demand pedigrees that collectors would go out of their way to search for.

I can't speak for the broad spectrum on Rockfords but for the Batman comics that have shown up, definitely carry a premium. On the order of ~1.5x a non pedigreed copy.

I don't think there are many pedigrees that consistently get a premium. Church copies typically do. San Francisco/Reilly, Larson, Curator, and Okajima (particularly from the camp era) generally do.

Gaines copies do too, but I know they're a bit different

I believe most of the older and longer established pedigrees would tend to get a larger premium. Not so much for the CGC generation of pedigrees, especially with respect to the SA and BA related pedigrees.

For a few years there, even some of the long-time GA pedigrees had significantly reduced premiums paid for them after CGC came out. Definitely not the case anymore, especially with respect to the GA Church books and even more so when they come out in runs.

BTW: I would definitely add in the highly sought after, but very hard to come by Allentown books as definite pedigree books whereby a strong premium is paid. (thumbs u

Some peds like Crippens and Crowleys don't get much love. The Crippen PQ and often sun/dust shadowed cover and the Crowley stamp on many covers aren't overly attractive which seem to keep the prices at much less if any premium.

Bottom feeder that I am, no doubt, that's why I have more of those lol

There's also a variability to different pedigrees depending on the age of the books. I won't rule out a book based off of a specific pedigree, but in many cases I'll want to see it in hand before deciding.

I'd pay a 10% or so premium for an average rockford book. I'd pay a little more for a timely or fox.

Interesting. I typically find Rockfords to be very unappealing, but I do have a few of them. The later ones in particular seemed to be quite nice.