• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap #1 CGC 8.0 Manufacturing Error on CC (Feb auction)
1 1

92 posts in this topic

Printing error is tough for me to overcome but its still a 8.0 Blue. This will be an interesting one to watch. what would a 8.0 blue without the printing error go for?

Last one sold for 288k.

I remember when 8.0s were selling for 80k and this sat on clink at 50k for what seemed like forever

Yep. I remember that too. IIRC, this copy was obtainable in the mid 40k range but that was quite a while ago. No question its an error, but in this situation I agree with rjpb and find it similar to many of the classic Fiction House books out there..... awesome to have any copy, but a "red" one is even more desirable.

The main thing this copy has going for it, I think, is that the supply of the book seems to have kind of dried up lately. There's the 2.5 that's been on CLink for awhile, but I can't think of another copy that's publicly available.

All it takes is a couple of determined bidders who have been waiting around for a higher-grade copy to appear and who aren't too bothered by the printing defect for this one to hammer considerably higher than people are expecting.

An old friend - whom I've lost touch with now for over 20 years - bought that book from Metro some 25 years ago (unless there is another 8.0 with the same coloration!) He had been in the market for a Cap 1 and he and I made the drive to NY. All he collected was high grade Timely. If I recall correctly, my friend had at least two other Cap 1s to choose from at Metro that day, both/all in the VG-F range. He had brought some SFs and Mile Highs with him to trade for a Cap 1. I believe one of the books he traded was the SF Daring Mystery 6. Another was a Mile High Adventure in the 70s; among others of that ilk.

Long story short, when he asked my opinion that day, I told him I preferred a VG-F copy with normal colors. He went with that one because it was a VF, and ended up losing money when he sold it 10 years or so later.

Interesting! I got the Daring 6 from Metro in 1991 or so in a trade for a Forbidden Planet one-sheet...

daring6.jpg

An old friend - whom I've lost touch with now for over 20 years - bought that book from Metro some 25 years ago (unless there is another 8.0 with the same coloration!) He had been in the market for a Cap 1 and he and I made the drive to NY. All he collected was high grade Timely. If I recall correctly, my friend had at least two other Cap 1s to choose from at Metro that day, both/all in the VG-F range. He had brought some SFs and Mile Highs with him to trade for a Cap 1. I believe one of the books he traded was the SF Daring Mystery 6. Another was a Mile High Adventure in the 70s; among others of that ilk.

Long story short, when he asked my opinion that day, I told him I preferred a VG-F copy with normal colors. He went with that one because it was a VF, and ended up losing money when he sold it 10 years or so later.

Interesting! I got the Daring 6 from Metro in 1991 or so in a trade for a Forbidden Planet one-sheet...

daring6.jpg

I can't begin to figure out whether that was a good deal. :D

daring6.jpg

I can't begin to figure out whether that was a good deal. :D

Probably pretty even, the poster had a lot of resto. That doesn't affect poster values as much as comics so for a while the poster was worth more. Now they are just about even.

daring6.jpg

It's just as gorgeous as I remembered, buddy.

daring6.jpg

It's just as gorgeous as I remembered, buddy.

You won the trade. You got a comic book (thumbs u

On 1/31/2017 at 1:03 PM, Sqeggs said:
Michelangelo said:
the appeal of manufacturing errors as being desirable is dumb to me.

I don't get how someone would view this book as being more desirable.

I don't think anyone does.

I guess that's why it's still sitting at only $51K and hasn't really moved at all in the past couple of weeks:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=700976

Any thoughts as to whether this copy of Cap 1 is even going to get anywhere close to six figures by the time its all said and done?  hm