• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap #1 CGC 8.0 Manufacturing Error on CC (Feb auction)
1 1

92 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 1/31/2017 at 4:03 PM, Sqeggs said:
Michelangelo said:
the appeal of manufacturing errors as being desirable is dumb to me.

I don't get how someone would view this book as being more desirable.

I don't think anyone does.

I guess that's why it's still sitting at only $51K and hasn't really moved at all in the past couple of weeks:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=700976

Any thoughts as to whether this copy of Cap 1 is even going to get anywhere close to six figures by the time its all said and done?  hm

I would have said "no," but the supply of Cap 1s seems awfully thin lately and GA keys have been skyrocketing, so I'm guessing it will crack $100K.

On 3/17/2017 at 4:42 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 3/17/2017 at 1:30 PM, lou_fine said:
On 1/31/2017 at 1:03 PM, Sqeggs said:

I guess that's why it's still sitting at only $51K and hasn't really moved at all in the past couple of weeks:

Any thoughts as to whether this copy of Cap 1 is even going to get anywhere close to six figures by the time its all said and done?  hm

I would have said "no," but the supply of Cap 1s seems awfully thin lately and GA keys have been skyrocketing, so I'm guessing it will crack $100K.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:32 PM, Gotham Kid said:

No @ 6 figures

Well, looks like it finally made a "big move" up to $61K, but I would have to agree with Gotham here that I don't see it making into the 6 figures on this particular copy in question.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/17/2017 at 2:30 PM, lou_fine said:

I can't imagine paying that much for it.

Cap #1 is more common than many of the other major "mega-key" books of the Golden Age.

While I understand that a copy with this printing error might not initially seem as appealing as one without, it does put a relatively "common" GA grail into rarified air.

24 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

Ended at $74K. That must make my 5.0 worth 45K tops. :tonofbricks:

Lower than I figured by a fair amount.  Another case, I guess, where collectors dinged a production defect more than CGC did.

1 hour ago, lhcomics said:

Ended at $74K. That must make my 5.0 worth 45K tops. :tonofbricks:

I won't worry about this sale (it is not attractive without the red) I would not have bid on this book no matter what unless it sold for super cheap. I say this even if Cap 1 is one of my all-time favorite books.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

From my standpoint, that book is incorrectly in a blue label holder.  At that high of an "apparent grade" it should have been in a green label, as that is a significant "defect" that should be built into the structural grade (as it was clearly built into the price).  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

A sun fade is NOT a variant.

Rather have a better looking book if I had that kind of money.

If this sells for a premium as an 'error', then I have short box drek that is about to get a tan.

2 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

If this sells for a premium as an 'error', then I have short box drek that is about to get a tan.

Not faded.  Book was printed without red ink.

1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

Nope

Nice try, Best of luck with the sale

The back cover is also absent of red. That tells me not faded but actually low/no red ink

Edited by G.A.tor

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
6 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

8 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Nope

The back cover is also absent of red. That tells me not faded but actually low/no red ink

When you go out for a sun tan, do you not turn over to ensure that you are evenly tanned on both sides, or do you just do the front side only?  hm  lol

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Nope

Um ... 1) Sale is already over; 2) Not my book

But carry on!