• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is "fishing" unethical?

32 posts in this topic

Just wondering what most of you guys think about people who sell books on e-bay with incredibly high BIN prices. Do you see anything wrong with this?
Its the opposite of "low balling"

Wouldn't the opposite be a whisky & mixer in a tall glass?

Just wondering what most of you guys think about people who sell books on e-bay with incredibly high BIN prices. Do you see anything wrong with this?

lol

lol

FYP

Basically that's 90% of Mile High's listings then.

Seriously though, you can ask whatever you want for something. If there's 50 people selling it for far less though - what's the point?

As someone once told me... as a seller you can allow yourself to be negotiated down in price. You can never negotiate the customer up on a set price.

Seriously though, you can ask whatever you want for something. If there's 50 people selling it for far less though - what's the point?

Between high prices, non specific descriptions, weak grading and stock photos, I ignore MH listings. But somebody buys from them.

Condition is king in this bizz. I've bought a handful of books from them recently because there aren't many options out there for some of the books on my list. Their grading is pretty much on par (conservative as in no NM+), gotten a few gems from their 'NM' listings.

Yea it's expensive, but beats driving into downtown and driving everywhere and likely come up empty. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

It's hard to find listing for NM+ or NM/MT books out here for a pimp.

Jerome

What I can't understand is when I see a book that's insanely priced with other, higher graded copies sitting right there for a buyer to choose from. I was browsing through MCS listings last night, and I saw an ASM #361 raw listed on consignment as a VF/NM 9.0 raw and priced at $295.00! :ohnoez: A quick look at MCS's site shows that they have no fewer than 54 copies on consignment at that grade or higher (not counting SS books), and that is the 4th highest priced copy of the bunch. doh! If one wanted a copy, there are CGC 9.8 copies there for the same price (and that doesn't obviously include any copies MCS might have for sale themselves, or any other online dealer, or eBay, etc, etc.

I saw that and cannot for the life of me figure out what the owner of that book could possibly be thinking asking for that price, other than he or she must want to be buried with it someday, and they're making sure they don't accidentally sell it somehow. :facepalm:

What I can't understand is when I see a book that's insanely priced with other, higher graded copies sitting right there for a buyer to choose from. I was browsing through MCS listings last night, and I saw an ASM #361 raw listed on consignment as a VF/NM 9.0 raw and priced at $295.00! :ohnoez: A quick look at MCS's site shows that they have no fewer than 54 copies on consignment at that grade or higher (not counting SS books), and that is the 4th highest priced copy of the bunch. doh! If one wanted a copy, there are CGC 9.8 copies there for the same price (and that doesn't obviously include any copies MCS might have for sale themselves, or any other online dealer, or eBay, etc, etc.

I saw that and cannot for the life of me figure out what the owner of that book could possibly be thinking asking for that price, other than he or she must want to be buried with it someday, and they're making sure they don't accidentally sell it somehow. :facepalm:

What you are describing is exactly how the marketplace works. Some buyers and sellers are not aware of what a good trades for. Maybe they aren't motivated to sell it or are just not good at researching or interpreting what they research.

Frankly the fact that not everyone pays attention is exactly what makes trading goods fun. It's fun to find a bargain as a buyer and its fun to soak someone when you're a seller. Seriously though in this day and age everyone has access to plenty of information about price, all is fair.

There's also such a thing as timing. Sometimes ebay is flooded with a specific listing. Sometimes it's not. Some weeks 9.8 AF15's sell for $450K, usually they don't. In general, if you were to talk about an overpriced AF15 in a 4.5 in 2012, the prices you see today would seem to be over the moon.

What I watch out for on ebay is people who list shipping charges that make it unnecessary to price the merchandise at all. Just get the shipping money and you're in clover.

Is "fishing" unethical?

I generally don't think so.

I always use barbless hooks and catch and release only. I do feel bad sometimes when they swallow the hook and you need to really get in there with a hemostat to yank it out. Sometimes the gills start to bleed and I feel guilty.

rantrant