• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 32 CGC 9.6 WOW!!

58 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think it will about double from here to $60K with BP, allowing the consignor to break even or make a small profit if he got a slice of the BP. Probably not the bonanza he had been hoping for, but I don't think he'll take a bath.  We'll soon find out! 

Looks like you were bang on right!  (thumbsu

Doesn't happen often! lol

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Am sure bidding will go higher but with 8hrs left ( plus live bidding ) honestly don't see it doubling its current offer.

Like you, I am actually surprised that the book was able to do a double from its current offer of $30K.  :whatthe:  :golfclap:

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Like you, I am actually surprised that the book was able to do a double from its current offer of $30K.  :whatthe:  :golfclap:

Why?  The online bidding phase usually provides zero insight into what the floor auction results will be, unless the online bidding is incredibly strong, in which case it usually means that the real fight is actually taking place during the online bidding phase for whatever reason (maybe one a major player won't be able to bid live at the floor auction).  But if the online bidding is weak to average for a big book, then it usually means that the big bidders are keeping their powder dry for the floor auction.  Live bidding could be 50%, 100%, 200% above the last online bid.  There is NO correlation. :gossip:  

6 hours ago, tth2 said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Why?  The online bidding phase usually provides zero insight into what the floor auction results will be, unless the online bidding is incredibly strong, in which case it usually means that the real fight is actually taking place during the online bidding phase for whatever reason (maybe one a major player won't be able to bid live at the floor auction).  But if the online bidding is weak to average for a big book, then it usually means that the big bidders are keeping their powder dry for the floor auction.  Live bidding could be 50%, 100%, 200% above the last online bid.  There is NO correlation. :gossip:  

So very true, especially the part in bold, as clearly evident by some of the results in this very auction here.  (thumbsu

Although the Detective 32 did in fact managed to achieve a double in the live portion of the auction, both of the Batman 1's and the 8.5 copy of AF 15 did not even managed to go up by a single dollar in their respective live portions of the auction.  hm

48 minutes ago, david99 said:
13 hours ago, greaterfool said:

Tec 35 - 100K + BP!!!

Absurd 

Why....what makes you say this when it's considered to be one of the classic Batman covers of all time and this copy here is one of the highest graded copies to date so far?  (shrug)

1 hour ago, david99 said:
14 hours ago, greaterfool said:

Tec 35 - 100K + BP!!!

Absurd 

Yeah, sure. Second highest graded copy (only 7.5 graded) behind a single 8.5 copy (that belongs to E. Roberts and will likely not surface for a VERY long time) :eyeroll:

There are other high grade RAW copies out there but unless DA or BangZoom bring them to market, they won't show up any time soon.

Edited by Gotham Kid

20 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Yeah, sure. Second highest graded copy (only 7.5 graded) behind a single 8.5 copy (that belongs to E. Roberts and will likely not surface for a VERY long time) :eyeroll:

There are other high grade RAW copies out there but unless DA or BangZoom bring them to market, they won't show up any time soon.

I just never viewed this book as a key. The Detective 29 (2nd cover),31 (classic cover),33 (origin) are the pre-Robin keys in my minds eye. But what do i know. (shrug)

Buy what you like I guess is the best rule. 9_9

Edited by david99

1 hour ago, david99 said:

I just never viewed this book as a key. The Detective 29 (2nd cover),31 (classic cover),33 (origin) are the pre-Robin keys in my minds eye. But what do i know. (shrug)

It has been a classic cover just like 29 and 31 but not quite as popular as them.  Lots of people hunting for it over the years.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:
4 hours ago, david99 said:

It has been a classic cover just like 29 and 31 but not quite as popular as them.  Lots of people hunting for it over the years.

I believe that 'Tec 35 was the last of the pre-Robin Detectives to join the "classic cover" party and as a result, has seen a substantial increase in both demand and price just over the past 10 years or so. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe that 'Tec 35 was the last of the pre-Robin Detectives to join the "classic cover" party and as a result, has seen a substantial increase in both demand and price just over the past 10 years or so. 

I guess I missed this move on this book. Excuse my ignorance. :blush: