• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 32 CGC 9.6 WOW!!

58 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Why is breakeven 70K ? HA will commission 15K in fees ? :whatthe:

He bought it for $50K (is that right?), so assuming no SP, he needs it to hammer at around $60K (including BP).  Less, if he negotiated a slice of the BP.

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:
21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Still a long ways away from the $70K+ in theory which the consignor will need in order to break even on this book.  hm

16 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Noticed that I said "in theory" which means that Heritage would be taking both the BP and SP since we do not know if there were any special deals here.  

My line of thinking is that if the book hammers at $59K, this means that the final price paid and the one that goes down as the actual sales price would be $70,505 which would include Heritage's 19.5% BP.  In theory, the seller would be seeing only $53,100 since Heritage would also be entitled to their 10% SP.  Since the consignor originally paid CC just over $50K for the book in the first place, this means they will be left with about $3K to pay for whatever upgrade work was done to the book along with the regrading fees.  hm

So, if the final realized price doesn't go over $70K for this book, the consignor could in theory be out some money on his purchase of this book. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
19 hours ago, lou_fine said:
21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Still a long ways away from the $70K+ in theory which the consignor will need in order to break even on this book.  hm

18 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Noticed that I said "in theory" which means that Heritage would be taking both the BP and SP since we do not know if there were any special deals here.  

My line of thinking is that if the book hammers at $59K, this means that the final price paid and the one that goes down as the actual sales price would be $70,505 which would include Heritage's 19.5% BP.  In theory, the seller would be seeing only $53,100 since Heritage would also be entitled to their 10% SP.  Since the consignor originally paid CC just over $50K for the book in the first place, this means they will be left with about $3K to pay for whatever upgrade work was done to the book along with the regrading fees.  hm

So, if the final realized price doesn't go over $70K for this book, the consignor could in theory be out some money on his purchase of this book. 

No way the consignor is paying the SP on this book. He may also be getting a slice of the BP.

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I assume, seeing as how the book isn't listed as restored, that the upgrade work was a simple press and clean, but how did the pages get improved from "Cream to Off-White" to Off-White?

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I assume, seeing as how the book isn't listed as restored, that the upgrade work was a simple press and clean, but how did the pages get improved from "Cream to Off-White" to Off-White?

Random variation in the graders judging pq, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:
6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since the consignor originally paid CC just over $50K for the book in the first place, this means they will be left with about $3K to pay for whatever upgrade work was done to the book along with the regrading fees.  hm

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but there are many other so-called "non-restorative" work besides just a simple clean and press that can be done to book and it would still be considered as unrestored from CGC's point of view.  :gossip:   Don't think that is the situation here, but who really knows.  (shrug)

As for the change in PQ, grading is really nothing more than just a matter of opinion at a particular point in time, and when it comes to page color, apparently it is one of the least scientific and most subjective part out of the entire grading process.  :juggle:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but there are many other so-called "non-restorative" work besides just a simple clean and press that can be done to book and it would still be considered as unrestored from CGC's point of view.  :gossip:   Don't think that is the situation here, but who really knows.  (shrug)

As for the change in PQ, grading is really nothing more than just a matter of opinion at a particular point in time, and when it comes to page color, apparently it is one of the least scientific and most subjective part out of the entire grading process.  :juggle:

For some reason I'm reminded of the old Rodney Dangerfield joke: "I asked my dentist how can I make my teeth look more white. He told me wear a brown necktie!"

rimshot.jpg~c200

On 2/20/2017 at 11:26 PM, lou_fine said:

What other techniques are you thinking of?

Some people have mentioned that the extra humidity present in a book immediately after a press makes the pages feel more supple temporarily, so books that are graded within days of being pressed often get a page quality bump.

On 2/19/2017 at 7:08 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 2/19/2017 at 4:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Wait for it. We all know it's the last day and live auction when things go gaga.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Looks like consignor might take a hit on his book after all ...

I thought we were supposed to wait since it's not quite the last day yet.  :baiting:

I will admit though, that it's definitely not looking very promising for the consignor at this point so far.  :frown:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

On 20/2/2017 at 4:08 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 20/2/2017 at 1:20 AM, lou_fine said:

Wait for it. We all know it's the last day and live auction when things go gaga.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Looks like consignor might take a hit on his book after all ...

I thought we were supposed to wait since it's not quite the last day yet.  :baiting:

I will admit though, that it's definitely not looking very promising for the consignor at this point so far.  :frown:

Am sure bidding will go higher but with 8hrs left ( plus live bidding ) honestly don't see it doubling its current offer.

Edited by Gotham Kid

35 minutes ago, david99 said:

Yeah ! What's up with that ! 9_9

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Am sure bidding will go higher but with 8hrs left ( plus live bidding ) honestly don't see it doubling its current offer.

I think it will about double from here to $60K with BP, allowing the consignor to break even or make a small profit if he got a slice of the BP. Probably not the bonanza he had been hoping for, but I don't think he'll take a bath.  We'll soon find out! 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Not totally sure about this, but I thought the 'Tec 35 had been sitting at this same bid level for quite a few days now.  (shrug)

The one that I find a bit surprising is the 8.5 copy of Seven Seas 4 which is already sitting at almost $12K.  Especially when the listing clearly states that there are 4 higher graded copies out there.  Definite continuing strong upward movement in the classic covers, but still!  :whatthe:

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think it will about double from here to $60K with BP, allowing the consignor to break even or make a small profit if he got a slice of the BP. Probably not the bonanza he had been hoping for, but I don't think he'll take a bath.  We'll soon find out! 

Looks like you were bang on right!  (thumbsu