• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official naming of CGC Cases

27 posts in this topic

I propose that we name the various versions of the CGC cases so we can all be on the same page in discussions.  Since the new cases were introduced last year and subsequently modified, I keep hearing terms like "old", "old new", and "new new". 

Here's my proposed naming convention:

Generation 1 (Gen 1) - First cases released by CGC.  These we around when the modern label was red and the grade was small and in the center of the label. 

Generation 2 (Gen 2) - These are what were used when the label was changed to have the grade in the upper left corner and used all the way until April 2016 when the next cases were introduced.  At the time of this writing, this is the most common case in circulation.

Generation 3 (Gen 3) - These cases were rolled out in April 2016 along with a new label format which among other things featured Page Quality underneath the numerical grade.  Due to a few issues like Newton Rings, these were redesigned a few months later. 

Generation 4 (Gen 4) - These are the current cases that resulted from modifying Gen 3 cases to help address Newton Ring issues.  There was no change to the label between Gen 3 and Gen 4. 

What are your thoughts?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Modification suggestions?  Feel free to share your thoughts.  If someone could chime in and let me know when the "old labels" changed to the more modern looking labels, I'd appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

Generation 1 (Gen 1) - First cases released by CGC.  These we around when the modern label was red and the grade was small and in the center of the label. 

Moderns were both red and blue during this Generation.  I don't know if that's what you intended.  There are small grade blue moderns.

0101316003_300.jpg 0036872020_300.jpg 0972582006_300.jpg 0291681010_300.jpg

Edited by valiantman

7 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Maybe its just me, but I have seen some gen 2 slabs without inner wells, there must have been several changes in that 13 year time-span.  Anyone know what they were?

No such thing. All early slabs have inner wells. 

3 hours ago, JazzMan said:

No such thing. All early slabs have inner wells. 

You made me feel like a crazy person because I remember seeing clear differences.  I went back and looked at my cases.  I noticed all my silver-age stuff had a very pronounced inner-well, and anything bronze or newer had a very flat-pressed looking well to it.  I wouldn't really call these inner wells, it looks more like a plastic seam to me.
Well here's the difference.
bGotmGv.jpg
Y3cS95N.jpg

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

You made me feel like a crazy person because I remember seeing clear differences.  I went back and looked at my cases.  I noticed all my silver-age stuff had a very pronounced inner-well, and anything bronze or newer had a very flat-pressed looking well to it.  I wouldn't really call these inner wells, it looks more like a plastic seam to me.
Well here's the difference.
bGotmGv.jpg
Y3cS95N.jpg

They are still inner wells, there's different types and it doesn't depend on the period of time, it just seems situational.