• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zeck OHOTMU
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Quite a few of these have popped up lately on CAF, CLink, eBay, etc. Anybody want to share the backstory from whence they came? The same usual collection or..? Too many in such a short period of time to have not been a hoard. And I don't remember ever seeing any prior ;)

3 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

Just for fun - what is ohotmu?

Official

Handbook

Of

The

Marvel

Universe

OHOTMU.  A series that first came out in the 80s with detailed biographies of characters. Each page had a picture of the character, and there are lots of OHOTMU OA pages out there, and often they are less pricey than full OA pages, since they are more akin to style guide illustrations, but are published. 

Yup I bought a collection of them.  While most common characters can be inexpensive, top tier characters command a higher price.  The Paul Smith Wolverine from OHOTMU volume 2 sold for $2800 on Heritage last year.

Main Marvel characters are very hard to find.  Trust me, I was hunting them for a while...

I find it a little odd that people are interested in why the art suddenly is appearing on the market.  Here's the story... being the big Zeck collector, I had amassed most of the Zeck Marvel Universe pin-ups over the 10-15 years.  Most had never hit the open market.  In the last few years, I parted with some of the lesser ones, but held onto the key Captain America pieces.  A collector really wanted the Cap piece, but I didn't want to sell just that one no matter what the price... He made me a "deal I couldn't refuse" on the collection, but decided not to keep all of them.  

If you were lucky to pick up the Viper or Baron Zemo this week on eBay, you got a great deal on them.  Get them while you can as nice pieces don't hit the market very often.  

I did keep one Zeck Marvel Universe piece for myself - the Punisher!  I had to keep one - I don't see parting with that one for a very long time (sorry)!

Edited by comiconxion

54 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

<snip>

If you were lucky to pick up the Viper or Baron Zemo this week on eBay, you got a great deal on them.  Get them while you can as nice pieces don't hit the market very often.  

<snip>

hmm.. what do you think of the Vermin that was on Clink and the Electro that was on ebay earlier?

Malvin

14 hours ago, malvin said:

hmm.. what do you think of the Vermin that was on Clink and the Electro that was on ebay earlier?

Malvin

Both great pieces to pick up.  I never owned the Elektro - that only popped up after I sold all my others, but it was one of the better ones Zeck did.   The Vermin was mine as well - It's pretty large compared to some.  Cool because Vermin was a character created by Zeck that spanned both the Cap universe and was prominent in the Kraven's Last Hunt series.  I sold that to a collector who wanted it, but a year later it's on the auction block.   Oh, well.