• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why the Message Board Upgrade?

39 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, icefires said:

Greed. Always. From people at the top.

$ saved.

In before the lock.

:screwy: Yeah, it definitely couldn't be because the old software was far from perfect and couldn't handle the upgrades that were wanted/needed. meh

Since you've been questioning everything I post, where does the money come in to play here? How much more/less are they making/spending with the new boards? I assume you must have the numbers to be making this accusation. (shrug)

2 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

I'm getting tired of that big eBay banner taking up so much space at the top... :frustrated:

Is that what that big empty space above the announcements is supposed to be?

I don't even know what an online ad looks like.

23 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

I'm getting tired of that big eBay banner taking up so much space at the top... :frustrated:

Agree. Too much header space devoted to lesser priority items. Both the header and footer could receive a major trim. Moving the actual threads, the content we are interested in, up the page would be an improvement for everyone. Would love to see pinned threads get condensed at some point as well. That's been an issue for awhile now.

35 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:screwy: Yeah, it definitely couldn't be because the old software was far from perfect and couldn't handle the upgrades that were wanted/needed. meh

Since you've been questioning everything I post, where does the money come in to play here? How much more/less are they making/spending with the new boards? I assume you must have the numbers to be making this accusation. (shrug)

Is that what that big empty space above the announcements is supposed to be?

I don't even know what an online ad looks like.

You seem to be an ardent supporter of the new boards.  I wouldn't take it so personal if people don't like it yet. It's not like you designed it or work for CGC or something.

Im mixed so far. A lot of things I do like but miss the old look. I will stay in the watch and see mode for now.

Edited by CAHokie
Word left out.

I believe there was a genuine interest in improving the message board experience and it was believed that a new board design would bring about a more positive experience for the users.  There are a number of features that I like VERY much on these boards.  I like the notification when I am tagged or quoted.  The search feature through PMs is another big plus.  

I believe that the layout will be tweaked over time so that borders are widened and there is less 'white' (which I am turned off by).  It seems sluggish in comparison to the old boards but that may be a result of the system still settling in.  I am taking a wait and see approach.  

Arch has already added in a number of features due to our suggestions and they are willing to listen.  For those that are making positive contributions and critiques on what is wrong with it, CGC appears to be listening.  To those that can just offer, "this sucks".  I don't know what to tell you other than what I tell those that are on my team.  If you think something is wrong or sucks, then it is fine to let me know.  However don't tell me something is flawed unless you have an idea on how to improve it or can help think up a solution. 

Edited by Buzzetta

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I believe there was a genuine interest in improving the message board experience and it was believed that a new board design would bring about a more positive experience for the users.  There are a number of features that I like VERY much on these boards.  I like the notification when I am tagged or quoted.  The search feature through PMs is another big plus.  

I believe that the layout will be tweaked over time so that borders are widened and there is less 'white' (which I am turned off by).  It seems sluggish in comparison to the old boards but that may be a result of the system still settling in.  I am taking a wait and see approach.  

Arch has already added in a number of features due to our suggestions and they are willing to listen.  For those that are making positive contributions and critiques on what is wrong with it, CGC appears to be listening.  To those that can just offer, "this sucks".  I don't know what to tell you other than what I tell those that are on my team.  If you think something is wrong or sucks, then it is fine to let me know.  However don't tell me something is flawed unless you have an idea on how to improve it or can help think up a solution. 

+1

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Finally you got something right...

30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I have an idea how to improve it.  It's simple.  Keep the great new things that everybody likes and implement it into the same look and feel of the old board. 

I think that would satisfy everyone,don't you? I think it would be better than this cluster mess. Seven days in and there are well over 100 question/issues. I would not call a smooth roll out.

49 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I believe there was a genuine interest in improving the message board experience and it was believed that a new board design would bring about a more positive experience for the users. 

I totally believe the upgrade was made with the best intentions at heart...
Sadly not so successful...

¬¬

3 hours ago, icefires said:

Greed. Always. From people at the top.

$ saved.

In before the lock.

@icefires

Are you certain about that claim? 
I have no idea what the situation is at CCS, but I can look up both the UBB.threads and IPS websites and check out the pricing:
http://www.ubbcentral.com/purchase.php
https://invisionpower.com/buy

It appears UBB.threads standard  licenses run $139 w/ $59 yearly renewal.
It appears IPS licensing (self-hosted) runs $275 (for suite core, forums, & gallery) w/ $35  6 month renewal. 

So, the new software costs more.

I figure it's likely you have information I don't have in order to make your claim.  Otherwise, you're making a statement with no data to back it up.
I hope not, as that behavior is all too common these days.

Edited by Unca Ben

12 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

You seem to be an ardent supporter of the new boards. I wouldn't take it so personal if people don't like it yet. It's not like you designed it work for CGC or something. Im mixed so far. A lot of things I do like but miss the old look. I will stay in the watch and see mode for now.

There are many things I like about the new boards, but I don't like everything and definitely acknowledge that there is still work to be done.

I've seen many boards, with many different looks, layouts, colours, features, software, etc. over the last 20 years. The old boards were nowhere near perfect, no matter how much some people were accustomed to them. Objectively, I can see this is an improvement over the old boards even though, again, it's not perfect and there is still work to be done.

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just sick of all the ridiculous whining. No change like this will be perfect from day 1. If, after the first week or so, things hadn't substantially improved from the launch (they already have), then I would consider loudly and endlessly complaining like some others here. But right now, it's just constant whining from people so inflexible and unable to adapt that their days would be ruined if there was an extra grain of sugar in their morning coffee.

Recently, one of the other boards I frequent has become infested with irrational negativity and stupidity to the point that it's chasing away some posters and dragging down the good posters who remain (as well as causing extra work for the mods). There's a legitimate catalyst there as well and I'm sure things will eventually return to normal, but that still doesn't excuse the overreaction. I don't want to see that happen here, too.

In case the banner ads generate revenue for the CGC board, I started clicking through to one of the ebay ads every time I drop by.  I don't even look at the product, which is easy as part of the filters I've developed over decades of studiously avoiding paying attention to people trying to sell me stuff on the net.

I'm not a fanboy of cgc, but after all I buy some books here, and even sell on occasion, so what's the big deal to click a couple of times (in case that was part of the point of new board, moving the banner ebay ad from bottom or lower right edge to top of screen to generate advertising revenue).

I hate the new design, I've mostly lurked since the change, think this is my third post, including a "take" in the sale forum.  Some of the features are pretty good, and the beta color skin they added, and deletion (hopefully to become permanent) of that large obtrusive CGC banner at the top shows that CGC is at least trying to make this a less annoying process in at least some respects.  And even if driven solely by the desire for revenues, what is this, Cuva, what should we expect from a capitalist enterprise?    [e.g. I'm far more put off by the failure of CGC to add a disclosure note on label that a book was pressed by CCS which I'm beginning to think are getting better grades than appropriate, and whether or not that's true still presents a conflict of interest.]

Edited by grebal

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

At least they appear willing to listen and willing to make some changes, unlike CBCS who has known about the complaints about their boards for months now and have done nothing to address those concerns.

10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just sick of all the ridiculous whining. No change like this will be perfect from day 1. If, after the first week or so, things hadn't substantially improved from the launch (they already have), then I would consider loudly and endlessly complaining like some others here. But right now, it's just constant whining from people so inflexible and unable to adapt that their days would be ruined if there was an extra grain of sugar in their morning coffee.

Whining Complaining about whining doesn't solve anything. It only ultimately increases the amount of whining. Why bother? If people want to vent, then let them vent. 

Edited by Jerkfro

2 hours ago, Foley said:

If you haven't already, please vote up my change request here: 

Always helpful to have the Green and Orange perspective....in that order, if one is inclined to differentiate.:acclaim:

My guess is that one of the big drivers is that they wanted a site that worked well on mobile phones and tablets. The old layout was created almost two decades ago and didn't play well with the multi-device environment we operate in these days. 

As someone who does this stuff for a living, it's insane to me that the layout here hadn't changed in all that time. This layout is new in both the new-to-us sense and in the "new" sense of being an actual modern design. It's not perfect (nothing is) but it works on a phone, which makes me happy.

What we're experiencing is something that happens whenever anyone with a loyal fanbase makes a design change.  It's called change aversion and it happens with everyone all the time with every redesign. If your users don't hate your redesign, you don't have any users. 

Two things will happen- we'll get used to it and the design and features are going to be tweaked. It'll be great. Different, but great.