• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the better long term investment? AF 15 cgc 7.5 or FF 1 cgc 9.0 ?
1 1

79 posts in this topic

both are coming up in the comiclink featured auction

the af is real nice looking

so is the ff 1 with a slight miscut on the spine, its quite white covered

I think the ff 1 could  go for $100-135k

the AF 15 80-100K

look @ the cgc 8.5 AF 15 in the Heritage auction now, its @ 110K and to me doenst look as nice as the 7.5

For safety's sake, it's kind of hard to argue with AF. If not for that upper left corner, it likely would grade higher as it presents really well.

But I don't think that FF is a mistake either. It's not plentiful at that grade, and if AF is the Tec 27 of SA, FF1 is the Action 1. The FF will be back: they likely will not unseat Spidey as Marvel's top dog, but their return will return that book to prominence as the foundation of Marvel. It's where the beloved magic started. I do think FF1 in general and in high grade in particular is overlooked currently.

It's just that a possibly slightly undergraded AF15 is a heckuva heavyweight.

1 hour ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

both have ow/w pages

thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

For safety's sake, it's kind of hard to argue with AF. If not for that upper left corner, it likely would grade higher as it presents really well.

But I don't think that FF is a mistake either. It's not plentiful at that grade, and if AF is the Tec 27 of SA, FF1 is the Action 1. The FF will be back: they likely will not unseat Spidey as Marvel's top dog, but their return will return that book to prominence as the foundation of Marvel. It's where the beloved magic started. I do think FF1 in general and in high grade in particular is overlooked currently.

It's just that a possibly slightly undergraded AF15 is a heckuva heavyweight.

1 hour ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

both have ow/w pages

thoughts?

AF#15. All day,all-night,all-year,all-decade. No even debatable anymore.  Hulk #1 is my second pick, as FF#1 continues to fall.  

Love FF,but the market loves AF #15 so much more.  

I think Spidey's popularity continues to rise making that book a solid investment but it would depend on the final price; both of those books are going to be harder to obtain in those grades as time goes by

8 hours ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

look @ the cgc 8.5 AF 15 in the Heritage auction now, its @ 110K and to me doenst look as nice as the 7.5

I am not so sure about that.  :gossip:

There are a whole lot more color breaking stresses and larger ones at that, on the spine of the 7.5 graded copy as opposed to the few small ones on the spine of the 8.5 graded copy.  Sure, the top of the front cover on the 8.5 does not look that amazing, but the spine is sure a heck of a lot nicer than the spine on the 7.5 copy.   hm  (thumbsu

It's a shame too, I feel like Thing and Human Torch could do much better as a duo.  Mr. Fantastic would be much better as a Prof X type, the old man Gumby stuff just ain't what it used to be... Sue Storm so boring to boot... (with apologies to fans)

Edited by exitmusicblue

I know it has not spread to all comics, but the price run-ups on the keys and mega keys the last 10 years have just been amazing. I still stick with the AF 15 getting the bigger rise, but you can't really go wrong with either book.  Especially if the rumors of the Marvel Universe undergoing a true reboot soon are true.  If that happens the FF will come back.

Probably the AF 15. HOWEVER, if one wanted to gamble a bit, you could argue that as major keys go, FF 1 is a bit overlooked and under appreciated. At 9.0 it is also a great deal rarer than AF 15 in 7.5. There are 81 unrestored copies of AF 15 graded 7.5 or better. There are  15 unrestored copies of FF 1 in 9.0 or better. 

So it depends on your intent. As a collector, Spidey is my favorite character and I'd be inclined to get the AF 15 first. But if I was investing, I think I'd roll the dice and grab the FF 1 in 9.0. A book that appears to be undervalued in a grade that is rare.