• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Margaret Brundage admirers - Nice Short Piece about her
3 3

35 posts in this topic

I saw short article as I have long been an admirer of hers.  Not only being a female in male dominated profession/world, she was one hell of an artist.  Some of the tidbits I was already aware of but some new things I did not know and it has a nice picture of her as well as some of the most celebrated pulp covers.  Quick read if you're interested -

10 facts about pulp fiction’s illustrious Margaret Brundage - https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/be-smart/10-facts-pulp-fictions-illustrious-margaret-brundage/

56 minutes ago, telerites said:

I saw short article as I have long been an admirer of hers.  Not only being a female in male dominated profession/world, she was one hell of an artist.  Some of the tidbits I was already aware of but some new things I did not know and it has a nice picture of her as well as some of the most celebrated pulp covers.  Quick read if you're interested -

10 facts about pulp fiction’s illustrious Margaret Brundage - https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/be-smart/10-facts-pulp-fictions-illustrious-margaret-brundage/

Margaret Brundage is totally fab! I only wish I could afford one of her original pieces of art. Apparently she sold these at outdoor art fairs in Chicago at bargain basement prices, back in the 70's.

There is a great art book with most of her Weird Tales covers and an in-depth history about her: http://www.vanguardproductions.net/Brundage/

The fact that she did the work in pastels is a key reason so many no longer exist, unless properly handled the image can easily be wiped away. In an article on her I read years ago she was quoted as saying that she always had trouble drawing hands and indeed you will notice that in most of her works the hands are curled or otherwise simplified so as not to have to depict the fingers.

I would love to have one of her works, I think Grapefruit Moon had or has one.

5 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Maybe my favorite artist comic or pulp. Baker what?  Hope this gets this thread some new life. 

I may be able to help out a bit with that, since you asked nicely.  Not much, but a bit.

This issue has the classic Weird Tales triple:  Brundage, Lovecraft, and Howard.  I think it may actually be the only issue that features a Brundage cover and new stories by both Lovecraft and Howard, in fact.  Lots of the issues with all 3 of them have either poetry by one or the other writers, or the Lovecraft is reprinted from an amateur magazine or fanzine:

Weird_Tales_1933_07.jpg

Her last Weird Tales cover from the classic run of the series, and the only reprint.  Although even then, it's a reprint of the last new cover she did.  I really like the cameo effect on the digest version here.  I still want to get the original issue, though:

If people want I can possibly get some of her interior work posted here as well; she only did about a dozen interior illustrations for the pulps that I know of.

Weird_Tales_1953_11.jpg