• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2021 at 2:49 PM, paperheart said:

uh, no.

And Uh No - please add this to your back-of-napkin analysis

On 8/9/2021 at 1:57 PM, Bosco685 said:

This back-of-napkin analysis does not account for:

• Revenue-sharing agreements (though Scarlett Johansson won't have to worry about that for now)
  • Marketing Budget spread out across four release date announcements (June 29, 2021; May 7, 2021; November 6, 2020; May 1, 2020)
  • Assumes premiere access was $60M which Disney announced once the dropoff was significant at the box office

But none of that counts when you need to make a movie look positive. Or what some would refer to as 'honest accounting practices'. (:

Three scenes have really struck a nerve with people. Though one is more throughout a large portion of the film.

1) The bird scene

TSS01.PNG.f5454ec5f7daa79e7059fd2ad1ebc081.PNG

2) The 'bouncing secretary' scene (definitely not going over well with some females how this portrayed women)

TSS02.PNG.99288307cbf12e4f83ec478e21a21bf5.PNG

3) The extensive South American deaths throughout the movie in one of the biggest box office markets

TSS03.PNG.ba87e4e982c49859ea2e92dd7ac59901.PNG

And then of course paperheart seeing anything from this movie, though he will never watch it to begin with. But trust me. He will have a lot to share negative.

:insane:

On 8/9/2021 at 5:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

Three scenes have really struck a nerve with people. Though one is more throughout a large portion of the film.

2) The 'bouncing secretary' scene (definitely not going over well with some females how this portrayed women)

TSS02.PNG.99288307cbf12e4f83ec478e21a21bf5.PNG

In the context of the movie I see nothing wrong with the secretary scene.  I'm fairly sure that most dictators are not really up on "Times up/Me too/Equal Rights".

On 8/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, media_junkie said:

In the context of the movie I see nothing wrong with the secretary scene.  I'm fairly sure that most dictators are not really up on "Times up/Me too/Equal Rights".

She is all of maybe 3 seconds in the movie

On 8/9/2021 at 5:52 PM, media_junkie said:

Gotta rage about something.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:55 PM, D84 said:

They are complaining about South Americans getting killed in a movie that takes place in Corto Maltese?

Well, I didn't expect to see a ton of Swedish people killed there. 

:roflmao:

But can we please keep the spoilers to a minimum? How is paperheart going to fully review this film with fresh eyes so he can share what he liked, disliked and outright hated?

(tsk):rulez:

It is disappointing.  The GOTG were largely unknown to the general public, and yet the film was a great success. You can understand why DC thought that Gunn could replicate that success with the obscure team of comic characters in Suicide Squad, but it hasn’t happened.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, media_junkie said:

Are we pretending that females don't use sexual appeal to their advantage? :shy:

On 8/10/2021 at 7:48 AM, Ken Aldred said:

It is disappointing.  The GOTG were largely unknown to the general public, and yet the film was a great success. You can understand why DC thought that Gunn could replicate that success with the obscure team of comic characters in Suicide Squad, but it hasn’t happened.

Hey now. Recognizing there is at least one breakout star. Trained for months!

:insane:

After watching Suicidal Squadron 2.0 twice now, I’d say the movie is okay and counts as a plus for Universe of DC (or whatever they call it) along with Wonder Woman, Joker, etc. 

It really does help if I think of this whole thing as one big convoluted multiverse. Thanks, Loki. 

Besides seeing these really obscure DC characters brought to life, I appreciated seeing James Gunn’s twisted cleverness on display. I’m not familiar with Gunn’s stuff outside Guardians, but it was (a lot) like Guardians on Earth and without the Disney filter.

For me, that’s not necessarily a good thing. 

The movie’s overt ugliness leading to the over sentimental resolutions ( a James Gunn thing apparently) got gratuitous at times. For instance, I’m not sure what was the point of Peacemaker and Bloodsport having a freedom fighter mistaken identity body count shoot-off other than being an ultra violent joke. Or what was the point of Harley’s whirlwind romance montage with Luna only to have her just shoot him five minutes later other than to show how depraved(or honorable)  she is? Killing Luna served the plot no real purpose. I just didn’t see a point to a lot of the ugly other than this is what you get when you give Gunn relatively free reign.