• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2021 at 8:42 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I didn’t need to quote him to make that point.
Anyone can look at Will Smith’s box office track record vs. Elba’s and see that one can consistently open a film and the other can’t. Elba’s more of a secondary lead / value add than a leading man A-lister.

Any honest financial analysis of Suicide Squad 2 vs. 1 can’t overlook that Will Smith’s absence from the latter is a nontrivial factor.

Why is honest analysis a concern? This isn't a Disney movie we are discussing where you ignore purposeful critic or theater manipulation.

:baiting:

There's definitely room for concern with the current box office results. Especially since this is a beloved director that now straddles both Marvel and DC. But the casting intent is clear where Gunn wanted to ensure all roles received equal attention versus one superstar. Kind of like how he set up GotG Vol. I.

If we are being honest.

Gunn returns to the gritty underbelly of the DC Extended Universe with the action-packed Peacemaker, the John Cena-starring series spinning out of The Suicide Squad on HBO Max, and the filmmaker has hinted it's not the only spin-off in the works at the WarnerMedia streamer. After DC Films President Walter Hamada confirmed there's "more stuff planned" with Gunn in the shared DCEU, Gunn says there are "ideas" for a Suicide Squad 3 or other extensions of the reinvented franchise at Warner Bros.:

"I have all sorts of ideas, and we talk about it all the time," Gunn told Entertainment Tonight when asked about a sequel to The Suicide Squad or spin-offs with a smaller squad of characters. "So I don't feel like I'm done with this villain-verse yet."

"When they first came to me, it was really about what DC project I wanted to do. The first thing they brought up was Superman, and the second thing they brought up was Suicide Squad," Gunn recalled about an open offer from DC to make any movie he wanted. "So those were the first two projects, and then I had another project that they never brought up, never thought of, a couple of other ones that we talked about a little bit. People have talked about Krypto [the Superdog], they know that I brought that up at one point.

"So there's different characters that came up that interested me, and I just took some time and started sketching out what the different stories could be with these different characters. It was obvious from the very beginning that Suicide Squad just captured my imagination. It was the most fun. People are like, 'Why didn't you do Superman or Justice League?' I found this to be the most creatively fulfilling story. I know someone's gonna do a Superman movie again. I don't know that Polka-Dot Man's gonna get his story told if I don't tell it."

Krypto the Superdog? I never heard that before now.

In a Instagram post on August 6, Atrium Stadium Cinema in Great Kills announced that the hometown entertainer bought out two Saturday night showings of his new film, 'The Suicide Squad'.

Free tickets will be available for both the 7:20 and 8 p.m. August 7 showings of the film. Fans are advised to start lining at the box office at 5 p.m. and say they’re a “friend of Pete” to secure their ticket. One ticket per person.

“It was all Pete’s idea, he reached out to us saying he wanted to give back to the community,” said Gregg Scarola, owner of Atrium Stadium Cinema. “This is a type of movie that has to been seen on the big screen. We have our best screens and auditoriums ready to go.”

On 8/8/2021 at 5:35 AM, Bosco685 said:

But the casting intent is clear where Gunn wanted to ensure all roles received equal attention versus one superstar. Kind of like how he set up GotG Vol. I.

If we are being honest.

Except that's BS.

It's well-known that Will Smith was attached to reprise his role as Deadshot in this film before having to drop out due to schedule conflicts (ultimately revealed to be with King Richard).

On 8/8/2021 at 8:50 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Except that's BS.

It's well-known that Will Smith was attached to reprise his role as Deadshot in this film before having to drop out due to schedule conflicts (ultimately revealed to be with King Richard).

It's well known? Although they attempted to feel out if Will Smith wanted to return, his schedule didn't allow it early on. Meanwhile...

The Suicide Squad’s Idris Elba Talks Those Will Smith Replacement Rumors And What James Gunn Told Him From The Start

When The Suicide Squad's cast was being put together, fans were shocked that Will Smith wouldn’t be reprising his role as Deadshot. And after Idris Elba was cast, there were reports that he might be taking on the mantle. Instead, Elba is playing a new character in Bloodsport, and opened up about those rumors, saying:

"There was a rumor that my character might be a replacement for Will’s character in the first movie, but no, James had really very clearly stated that wasn’t what we were doing."

Now this is where you would have started with your condescending 'Uhmmmm' but I'll treat it as sharing information with you. 

On 8/8/2021 at 9:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

It's well known? Although they attempted to feel out if Will Smith wanted to return, his schedule didn't allow it early on. Meanwhile...

The Suicide Squad’s Idris Elba Talks Those Will Smith Replacement Rumors And What James Gunn Told Him From The Start

Now this is where you would have started with your condescending 'Uhmmmm' but I'll treat it as sharing information with you. 

?

There's no conflict between your two statements...because both are true.

The studio (and Ayer) wanted and expected Smith to return, and he expressed interest...until the Suicide Squad sequel schedule became apparent - and was locked and couldn't be delayed further due to Gunn having Guardians 3 set up afterwards.

Separately, there was an (unfounded) rumor that Elba was recast as Deadshot.

Which makes no sense, because it would have foreclosed the possibility of Smith's Deadshot returning in future films.

But you stated above that Gunn specifically didn't want Smith or someone of his star power attached to "ensure all roles received equal attention versus one superstar."

That's patently false.

On 8/8/2021 at 9:50 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

There's no conflict between your two statements...because both are true.

The studio (and Ayer) wanted and expected Smith to return, and he expressed interest...until the Suicide Squad sequel schedule became apparent - and was locked and couldn't be delayed further due to Gunn having Guardians 3 set up afterwards.

Separately, there was an (unfounded) rumor that Elba was recast as Deadshot.

Which makes no sense, because it would have foreclosed the possibility of Smith's Deadshot returning in future films.

But you stated above that Gunn specifically didn't want Smith or someone of his star power attached to "ensure all roles received equal attention versus one superstar."

That's patently false.

:roflmao:

Okay, clown. But you keep dancing.

clown-twerk.gif.f019516bee722a8c6888b01c8e7b8dbd.gif

On 8/8/2021 at 9:50 AM, Gatsby77 said:

That's patently false.

It is garbage attempts like this to portray someone else as false or telling lies that leads to the blowups we have on here from time to time.

You deserve to be called on it. And get away with it too much. Uhmmmmm.

Meanwhile, once WB knew Will Smith was not an option and James Gunn was clearly leading this film, he setup casting that would lead to equal billing across the characters. Not a bad move.

The box office recovery took another hit as Warner Bros. and DC’s critical darling The Suicide Squad opened to a less-than-expected $26.5 million from 4,002 North American theaters amid challenges posed by the Delta variant and a hybrid theatrical-home launch.

The movie could claim one victory: it scored the top opening of the pandemic-era for an R-rated title.

“This weekend’s performance of The Suicide Squad shows yet again the unpredictability of a theatrical marketplace whose success rises, and falls based on an ever-evolving set of disparate factors including not only the usual film-centric metrics, but also the impact of concerning pandemic news on consumer behavior,” says Comscore’s Paul Dergarabedian. “Of course, the day-and_date release of any film has implications, but in today’s environment it’s too simplistic to analyze a movie’s performance based on that variable alone since there are so many moving parts.”

However, as concerns over the Delta variant made headlines throughout August, the impact was felt at the box office as moviegoing comfort level fell. Over the July 30-August 2 weekend, Disney’s tentpole Jungle Cruise opened to $35 million domestically, a poor number in normal times (it did, however, outperform expectations).

Not sure why people have an infatuation with what a film makes. That criteria has never determined the quality of a movie. I think some like to say the movies they like make more money. lol Wasn’t Shawshank Redemption a box office failure? I think over the years they recouped with streaming deals and home media sales. I really don’t care, I love that movie. There are so many more in that category as well. 

i thoroughly enjoyed this movie. killer shark and polka dot man were hilarious. idris elba is finally a super hero, and a great one. really funny, i'd say maybe the best dc movie not batman or joker. gunn brings the guardians of the galaxy approach, and is certainly influenced by tarantino. clearly some people at dc decided that after zack's bleak, dark vision, something funnier, more colorful, and more marvel was called for. and they were right. i could do without margot robbie's annoyingly fake new york accent, but her charisma certainly helped fill out this team. overall i'd say it was a really well done, totally enjoyable super hero flick. rip polka dot man.

On 8/8/2021 at 12:30 PM, alexgross.com said:

how does this work since those of us with hbo max got it for free?

Without the Premiere Access fee like Disney, I truly believe Jason Kilar wrote off losses in advance of 2021 realizing to grow HBO Max it would take big incentives.

But I would love to see WarnerMedia explain the benefits with this hybrid release as told to investors. As AT&T is a publicly traded company.

On 8/8/2021 at 12:42 PM, alexgross.com said:

i thoroughly enjoyed this movie. killer shark and polka dot man were hilarious. idris elba is finally a super hero, and a great one. really funny, i'd say maybe the best dc movie not batman or joker. gunn brings the guardians of the galaxy approach, and is certainly influenced by tarantino. clearly some people at dc decided that after zack's bleak, dark vision, something funnier, more colorful, and more marvel was called for. and they were right. i could do without margot robbie's annoyingly fake new york accent, but her charisma certainly helped fill out this team. overall i'd say it was a really well done, totally enjoyable super hero flick. rip polka dot man.

This is where WB/DC is making some of the biggest missteps in ignoring a full Multiverse roadmap.

For those that need more Marvel-like content versus others that want a more intense and serious story, you can serve both masters by accounting for both paths. Not a forced direction down only one path.

On 8/8/2021 at 12:32 PM, Scam Likely said:

Not sure why people have an infatuation with what a film makes. That criteria has never determined the quality of a movie. I think some like to say the movies they like make more money. lol Wasn’t Shawshank Redemption a box office failure? I think over the years they recouped with streaming deals and home media sales. I really don’t care, I love that movie. There are so many more in that category as well. 

Because it determines what gets sequels and what types of movies studios decide to make.  It does not mean there are not great films that were bombs, and moneymakers that were . Unfortunately, money is always an issue, even more now during the Pandemic. WB may look at Suicide Squad, Black Widow, and the negative reception of WW2 and decide not to make as many hero films going forward. Companies always view consumers as voting with their wallet, and that is how they make decisions.  IF SS2 makes liitle money (even if you loved the film), you really think they will green light SS3?