• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2021 at 6:05 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm just kinda bummed out that it looks like it'll follow the same generic MCU formula. Big CGI battle at the end, small cameos from other characters that don't matter to the story, etc.

I mean, even what I presume to be an early fight appears to have been Marvelized. That fight on the train with a guy who has a sword for a forearm. Granted, Idk if that's a traditional Shang-Chi villain.

I was really hoping for something closer to a martial arts extravaganza. We already have tons of humans with special powers. The movie has given itself an uphill battle for me.

They should take a lesson from The Raid 1 & 2. 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:15 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Black Widow and Suicide Squad streamed on TV the same day they opened in theaters during a pandemic that is still ticking in the USA (thanks to some 40% of misinformed Americans who didn't or won't get the vaccine or wear a mask in public indoor spaces). That's why those two movies underperformed to box office "expectations." But MCU films beginning with Shang Chi will be theater exclusive and Shang Chi will already have a built in audience the first two weekends. If the movie has good reviews and good word of mouth, that will bode even better for its numbers considering where we are in this pandemic. Daniel Destin Cretin is a very good filmmaker so I'm sure Shang Chi will be a very good movie.

Clearly, the ability to see the premiere of these films from the comfort and safety of home is having a profound effect on box office. But this isn't the way of the future or some doom and gloom forecast for the movie theater industry.

If the numbers of the infected can start to come down (already we're over 70% of American adults vaccinated) then maybe we can be at a better place come September. Kids back in school with their state and local governments fighting over mask mandates doesn't bode well for putting this pandemic away, but whatever. If numbers can start to trend downwards over the next month, then Shang Chi's numbers should be just fine for a MCU movie during a pandemic that won't quit because America is full of stupid people.

They are predicting a 35 to 55 million opening weekend for Shang-Chi and 100 to 165 million total domestic box office.  That is getting worse not better.  This film is not saving movie theaters either, and that is with a 45 day theater release window. I doubt the Eternals will be saving anything either. 

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-marvel-studios-shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings/

On 8/14/2021 at 1:46 PM, media_junkie said:

Pandemic or not, that has to be a real kick in the nuts to have a sequel lifetime gross less than opening day gross of the original.

Agreed! I'm all for recognizing the delta variant is tearing things up again. But to have it take a nosedive like that - OOFH!

Someone's head has to roll for that one.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, paperheart said:

Week 2, 5th place :roflmao:

5.) The Suicide Squad (WB) 4,019 (+17) Fri $2.2M (-81%)/3-day $8.1M (-69%)/Total $43.2M/Wk 2

You must have really hating watching this one too. What was your final review like?

:baiting:

On 8/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Agreed! I'm all for recognizing the delta variant is tearing things up again. But to have it take a nosedive like that - OOFH!

Someone's head has to roll for that one.

Superhero movies may be screwed.  Hollywood films in general may be screwed. 

What is the viewership on HBO Max? I would expect the number of people that had HBO, and therefore now have HBO Max, exceeds Disney+ subscribers. Without a $30 premium to view the movie early, why is anyone surprised witht he results? Maybe. A massive maybe, if the Delta Variant weren't a thing. Sorry Hollywood. Let the comeback simmer a while longer.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, Muno42 said:

What is the viewership on HBO Max? I would expect the number of people that had HBO, and therefore now have HBO Max, exceeds Disney+ subscribers. Without a $30 premium to view the movie early, why is anyone surprised witht he results? Maybe. A massive maybe, if the Delta Variant weren't a thing. Sorry Hollywood. Let the comeback simmer a while longer.

streaming_services.thumb.jpg.622afc02638dfc293fb94c2934b47e8d.jpg

On 8/14/2021 at 4:48 PM, Muno42 said:

Thanks. I am surprised that HBO Max is so low. 

It's slow distribution international is what has hurt it the most.

Supposedly it us due to historic regional distribution agreements where HBO and WarnerMedia had worked with other service provider. But it is nuts how much of an impact it has had on growth.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:57 PM, Muno42 said:

I got around to watching it last night. A bit too gory, but fun. Sad for one death. Surprised by another.

It wasn't horrible to me. It was bestest of the best as critics claimed. It was in the middle, like Wonder Woman 1984 and Black Widow. Like these films were giving everyone a break from intense films.

But at least with The Suicide Squad I watched it twice to see if my initial reaction was on point. I could not do that with the other two films.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:13 PM, Muno42 said:

WW84 in particular is a "warn friends away" kind of mess. I can easily watch this movie again. I have to find more with Daniela Melchior. I can listen to her voice all day.

When I read she almost was passed up for the role because she showed up in makeup I was wondering what they were talking about.

daniela-melchior.thumb.jpg.826d362b016b3993c6c62df1ed66f773.jpg

Yeah. I could see how she blew them away if it was another role - but not one where she had to have a rough look about her.

:luhv:

On 8/14/2021 at 3:54 PM, Bosco685 said:

It's slow distribution international is what has hurt it the most.

Supposedly it us due to historic regional distribution agreements where HBO and WarnerMedia had worked with other service provider. But it is nuts how much of an impact it has had on growth.

Does HBO Max count cable subscribers as a paid subscriber in their totals.

i have HBO as part of my xfinity cable so I don’t have to be a “paid” subscriber