• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PHOTOCOPY Comics from eBay.........
2 2

58 posts in this topic

For years I've hated them.... cluttering up my searches and *spooning* me off...... but I finally broke down and ordered one to go with a book I thought best left slabbed. It was on glossy paper and from an original book and was kind of cool. Any one else gone this route for a cheap reader ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

7 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

For years I've hated them.... cluttering up my searches and *spooning* me off...... but I finally broke down and ordered one to go with a book I thought best left slabbed. It was on glossy paper and from an original book and was kind of cool. Any one else gone this route for a cheap reader ? GOD BLESS...

I haven't but I have wondered, thanks! I just wish I could block them from my search results when I do not want them since they are not originals. It is kind of a spam when looking for actual collectibles"

I'd also like to be able to block selected sellers (Mile High) from my search results.

25 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

A friend here sent me a copy of Phantom Lady #15,and I really,really love it.A great way to enjoy a difficult book to get.

22 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I haven't but I have wondered, thanks! I just wish I could block them from my search results when I do not want them since they are not originals. It is kind of a spam when looking for actual collectibles"

I'd also like to be able to block selected sellers (Mile High) from my search results.

I wish the seller would list them in the "modern" comic category so that it wouldn't show up on filtered "golden age" results.

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

A friend here sent me a copy of Phantom Lady #15,and I really,really love it.A great way to enjoy a difficult book to get.

Did it appear that the scanner/reprinter edited any of the scans?  Like cleaning up markings and balancing colors?  I'd pick up a copy if they made it look pretty.

25 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

If you use the "Highest Price First" filter, the photocopy books will be at the end..... this won't help with other sellers though... GOD BLESS...

A lot of those listings aren't really from photocopies, they're from the free scans at the Digital Comic Museum or Comic Book Plus.  A good quick example would be the Target v2 n5, the damage on the cover is clearly from my scan of Jim Vadeboncour's copy.

To be fair, the listing does admit this.  But why buy a book via eBay you can read on line free?

The one I snagged fits in a Magazine bag and board .....it has a white boarder around the image. If one had a favorite splash or page, it could be easily disassembled and framed. GOD BLESS...

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

The photocopy comic books have to be in the public domain and can usually be found in the digitalcomicmuseum.com

You can filter your ebay searches by using -photocopy or the minus sign in front of photocopy to remove items with photocopy in the title.

Are they all the public domain or are some of these guys violating copyright? hm

Edited by Sqeggs

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

The photocopy comic books have to be in the public domain and can usually be found in the digitalcomicmuseum.com

You can filter your ebay searches by using -photocopy or the minus sign in front of photocopy to remove items with photocopy in the title.

This is what I do.  It's very irritating when searching for some title and every other listing is for a photocopy.

16 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I have a Moon Girl 5 repro, and as far as I know the Gaines estate still holds the copyright. So there is some chicanery going on.

I could be quite wrong, but I think some of the early EC's are actually PD, including that Moon Girl issue.  None of the famous books are, though.

5 hours ago, n2wdw said:

I've been tempted too.  I thought about buying the Bakers and binding them into one of those custom books.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm tempted.

I know I can read them on my laptop, but I still like the page turning experience......plus I have to scroll to look at the page on the screen....and I like to absorb the composition of the page in one sweep. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

57 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:
6 hours ago, n2wdw said:

I've been tempted too.  I thought about buying the Bakers and binding them into one of those custom books.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm tempted.

I know I can read them on my laptop, but I still like the page turning experience......plus I have to scroll to look at the page on the screen....and I like to absorb the composition of the page in one sweep. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I'm with jimbo on this.

One of my top 10 favorite covers is Fight Comics 32. I had heard through a boardie that the interior stories were really good. I couldn't find it online to read, some issues just aren't there. I asked and the friend took pictures of each page of his issue and sent to me. He was right, interior was great. Oddly enough, a few weeks later I was given the opportunity to purchase the Mile High Church copy of Fight 32 CGC 9.0. I bought it and the fact that I don't think I will ever crack it made we want to see the interior even more...... so I bought a photocopy to hold. Something about holding it and being able to see both left and right pages at once. 

Also, last year I went on a plane trip since then and guess what I took with me to read.... not the Church copy!! The photocopy fit great in my back pack and so what if it happened to get a bent corner (which it did not, I kept it bagged and boarded). 

Good , fun, inexpensive, and worth while purchase in my opinion.

41 minutes ago, kelholt said:

One of my top 10 favorite covers is Fight Comics 32. I had heard through a boardie that the interior stories were really good. I couldn't find it online to read, some issues just aren't there. I asked and the friend took pictures of each page of his issue and sent to me. He was right, interior was great. Oddly enough, a few weeks later I was given the opportunity to purchase the Mile High Church copy of Fight 32 CGC 9.0. I bought it and the fact that I don't think I will ever crack it made we want to see the interior even more...... so I bought a photocopy to hold. Something about holding it and being able to see both left and right pages at once. 

Also, last year I went on a plane trip since then and guess what I took with me to read.... not the Church copy!! The photocopy fit great in my back pack and so what if it happened to get a bent corner (which it did not, I kept it bagged and boarded). 

Good , fun, inexpensive, and worth while purchase in my opinion.

So that was you I was sitting next to on the plane! I could tell it was a photocopy by the lack of that musty GA paper smell!

:insane: