• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PHOTOCOPY Comics from eBay.........
2 2

58 posts in this topic

There is a way to exclude all listings of any particular seller from a search on eBay.  I know this all too well because I eventually grew weary of plowing through page after page of the same old Milehighcomics listings, and Mycomicshop listings.  At the bottom of the list of search filters on the left is a link to select "More Refinements..."  Click on that, then select "Seller" from a list on the left... and then you'll see how to exclude any seller's listings you choose.  It's probably saved me hundreds of hours over the years.

Edited by 29dukedog

I finally took the time to refine my searches for specific GA titles to exclude photocopy.  I had already excluded dvd and cd so now a search looks something like this Action Comics -photocopy -dvd -cd in GA comics using auction only results, sorted by newly listed, 200 results per page.  

I have excluded specific sellers from some more generic searches I do like CGC in GA comics using the same boolean logic as above but also exclude a few specific sellers (some because they are offered on the seller's website at a cheaper price a la MCS or they are sellers who continually relist at renowned high starting prices. 

31 minutes ago, rjpb said:

"-photocopy -DVD -CD -DVDs" is my bookmarked GA search page on ebay.  Sometimes I feel the need to add "-Autry" and "-illustrated".

My bookmarked searches have dozens of blocked sellers and 10-15 excludes. It has saved me so much headache.

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

There is a way to exclude all listings of any particular seller from a search on eBay.  I know this all too well because I eventually grew weary of plowing through page after page of the same old Milehighcomics listings, and Mycomicshop listings.  At the bottom of the list of search filters on the left is a link to select "More Refinements..."  Click on that, then select "Seller" from a list on the left... and then you'll see how to exclude any seller's listings you choose.  It's probably saved me hundreds of hours over the years.

I can understand Mile High, but I've found a lot of books through MCS's eBay listings -- although I always jump over and buy them for the lower price they're listed for on MCS's site. 

On February 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM, jimjum12 said:

For years I've hated them.... cluttering up my searches and *spooning* me off...... but I finally broke down and ordered one to go with a book I thought best left slabbed. It was on glossy paper and from an original book and was kind of cool. Any one else gone this route for a cheap reader ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Interesting subject.

I've been buying these on and off for over a year as readers and to use as pass-around examples of GA book covers & interiors when I do A/V presentations on Golden Age collecting at conventions.  I was hesitant to discuss this topic on the boards as some dealers and collectors may view public domain photocopy reprints as competition for the actual collector comics.  They really aren't, but these might fill in as placeholders for hard-to-find/acquire books in runs.  

The seller, if we're talking about the same vendor, has a fairly wide selection of books, and has gotten much better at posting interior page samples so the buyer knows what to expect.  The quality does vary from book to book and there are some I'd avoid, but the interior scanned pages provide a fair degree of trust.  Also, the seller has always been quick to replace copies with substitutes if the buyer's dissatisfied without the added expense/delays of returns.  Some of the reproductions (line art and color) are as good or better than you'll find in archive editions, and given the price, not a bad deal.

I even snapped up photocopy readers of some slabbed high grades I own.  It's worth noting, front covers on some of the seller's photocopies ...Cat-Man #4 (Church copy), for instance... were sourced from cover-scans of actual books that have been in my collection for years!  lol  

The one I got was for a fairly scarce and expansive book......a complete reader would probably cost 20 times what the photo copy book went for....it worked great for me. GOD BLESS...

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

The one I got was for a fairly scarce and expansive book......a complete reader would probably cost 20 times what the photo copy book went for....it worked great for me. GOD BLESS...

Absolutely! There are many rare books among those photocopy BIN/auction books, and buying multiples minimizes postage.  One thing I like to do is remove the bags and backing boards and place photocopies in vinyl report covers with binding slides.  This protects the copies, covers staples and allows easier shelving.

To my surprise, some of the most impressive photocopies have been rarer GA books such as early Lou Fine Hits (including #1 & #5), Atomic Comics, Masters with Raboy Capt. Marvel Jr., and so on.  Perhaps listing photocopies with good to excellent duplication/color along with those to avoid (dark, faded, poor reproduction, etc.) would be a good idea.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:25 PM, Jayman said:

@jimjum12 Boardmember Shrevy produces some of these repros and they are quite nice. I have the Black Cat Mystery 50 repro copy from him and is great to flip through while leaving my original copy untouched! (thumbsu

Thanks Jayman! Yes, we have done a number of our "Flashback Replicas" over the past couple years. They are produced from my personal collection and start as 600 DPI scans which are then cleaned up. Sometimes, i have had to source an image from fellow collectors. My cover to Black Cat 50 had some problems and Jayman helped me out with a scan. I have not used the digitalcomicmuseum or similar because those scans do not provide high enough resolution. We do restore our scans. I'll post some images later this evening next to the originals for comparisons. Most of our sales come through Diamond.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:48 PM, Larryw7 said:

I have a Moon Girl 5 repro, and as far as I know the Gaines estate still holds the copyright. So there is some chicanery going on.

My company, Canton Street Press, produced Moon Girl #5 (our first replica). We have or are in the process of doing the entire Moon Girl run. The run will also be collected in a hard cover book once completed. A handful of EC books are in the public domain and Moon Girl is one of those series. We research each book we do with the US Copyright Office.

Top notch reproductions, those Canton Street Press replicas.  I have the Teen-Age Romances #14 and the Pictorial Confessions #1, and they are beautiful books.  Saddle-stitched bindings, just like "real" comics- not just a stack of 8 1/2" by 11" paper stapled together along the edge. 

Thanks for everything you've done so far, Joe.  Keep 'em coming.

46 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Here are a few pics that compare our replicas to the originals that I had in photobucket:

Moon Girl #1

008_zps2kddwmd3.jpg
009_zps685xs0rj.jpg
012_zpsctjaosiu.jpg

Black Cat #50

DSCN3546_zpslrkwixp6.jpg
DSCN3549_zpsxqmbodvo.jpg
DSCN3548_zpslf20htpd.jpg
DSCN3547_zpsjnvbudxt.jpg

Moon Girl #5

001_zpscytwmujj.jpg
003_zpsy04nlq5d.jpg
006_zpslfi5ql60.jpg

I agree. I've been impressed with the ones I have. 

I think it's a good idea to separate discriptions of replicas from photocopies.  Replicas are basically facsimile reprints of the original books that restore the look and feel of the originals with minor variations such as improved PQ.  Photocopies are reprints that duplicate flaws limited to source and make no effort to replicate the look of the original books.

Personally, I think there's plenty room for both replicas and photocopies as long as they're either PD or licensed.  Comic fans should have access to reader copies.  Readers don't compete with genuine collector books and provide a healthy alternative to expensive books that can fuel growth in the hobby.  2c

I've purchased reprints like the Moon Girls, etc. above to have as readers so my originals can stay intact. I've also purchased comic cover repos for coverless books. Never bought a photocopy before and was one of those annoyed when searching for original material.

I might have to rethink that and try one. Is Suspense comics #3 available? My friends for some strange reason won't let me crack their copies open to read. I usually wipe most of the peanut butter off my hands too before reading books. Some collectors are ssooo picky when it comes to their books....:nyah:

Just to cover all the bases, there's another guy, on eBay, who does quality facsimile covers of the usual keys, and has also done some entire replicas very nicely, including at least three issues of Phantom Lady.  Not a company, just one guy, and now I'm going to have to go and find his name from eBay... and it's breknemdjme11... but it doesn't look like he's offering any PL's right now.  He's sold tons of them for $15 to $35 each.  He has indicated that he plans do eventually do the set of Fox issues.  

On 2/21/2017 at 4:48 AM, Shrevvy said:

Thanks Jayman! Yes, we have done a number of our "Flashback Replicas" over the past couple years. They are produced from my personal collection and start as 600 DPI scans which are then cleaned up. Sometimes, i have had to source an image from fellow collectors. My cover to Black Cat 50 had some problems and Jayman helped me out with a scan. I have not used the digitalcomicmuseum or similar because those scans do not provide high enough resolution. We do restore our scans. I'll post some images later this evening next to the originals for comparisons. Most of our sales come through Diamond.

My company, Canton Street Press, produced Moon Girl #5 (our first replica). We have or are in the process of doing the entire Moon Girl run. The run will also be collected in a hard cover book once completed. A handful of EC books are in the public domain and Moon Girl is one of those series. We research each book we do with the US Copyright Office.

Very good to know that you care about the resulting quality.  I'll look into Flashback Replicas!!!  THANK YOU!

On 2/21/2017 at 0:16 PM, N e r V said:

I've purchased reprints like the Moon Girls, etc. above to have as readers so my originals can stay intact. I've also purchased comic cover repos for coverless books. Never bought a photocopy before and was one of those annoyed when searching for original material.

I might have to rethink that and try one. Is Suspense comics #3 available? My friends for some strange reason won't let me crack their copies open to read. I usually wipe most of the peanut butter off my hands too before reading books. Some collectors are ssooo picky when it comes to their books....:nyah:

HAHAHA! Too funny.