• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do for a checklist when you are out and about?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,  was wondering  what you all do to keep track of books that you need when you are out and about at a flea market, con, store etc.  and you are flipping thru a long boxes of comics?  Do you keep a checklist,  google, go to ebay.com on your phone?

For example, I made a punch list of key issues of titles that I collect and keep it on my phone.  I can pull it out quickly if needed when I am out.  Trying to remember what I have and need can be cumbersome.   How do you keep track when you have 1000's of books?

what I have I generally remember, but speakin of 1000's of books, if you know what you like IMO more is always better for the right price....etc

If i speculate on some comics then it is hard to remember and I write it down, or if there is a particular issue say of Adam Hughes or any other artist that I am trying to familiarize myself with I write it down as well

As far as a wishlist, I pretty much remember by the cover or knowledge of first appearances from the boards, ebay sells, or other factors.

I can understand if the LCS thinks it is rude to check ebay on my phone to compare prices, so I try to do that at home, otherwise haggling at the LCS, flea market etc can be a pain

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I can remember the books I still need, the gaps I need to fill.  

At any one time I'm not searching for a particularly wide range of material, anyway.

I have the Collectorz app on my phone with my whole collection entered into it. Well, I entered it on my computer with the windows edition of the app, and then I can sync it to my iphone app. I enter comics I want putting them into a wanted list which I can access anytime, offline as well. Or I can search my collection to see if I already have what I'm looking at or what shape/grade it is in and what I paid for it to see if I should get the LCS or garage sale one in front of me.

Oh yes, best part, when entering an issue, if it is in their database already, it will come with a picture of the front and sometimes the back as well. You can add your own cover pic if it isn't in their database.

Collectorz looks cool.  A friend of mine swears by that for his movie collection. Anyone here use Comic Book Relm.com?    I like how it tracks values and you can kind of keep track of books you own but wow is that site slow and clunky.

5 hours ago, Lt. Eckhardt said:

Collectorz looks cool.  A friend of mine swears by that for his movie collection. Anyone here use Comic Book Relm.com?    I like how it tracks values and you can kind of keep track of books you own but wow is that site slow and clunky.

I do like ComicBookRealm, easy to use 2c

Edited by Azkaban

15 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I can remember the books I still need, the gaps I need to fill. 

Based upon personal experience, going from strict memory is not necessarily a good idea in the long run.  Especially since I've been collecting for decades and you end up picking up duplicate HG copies of what were common books such as Batman 232, Thor 165, Marvel Premiere #3, etc. that you were chasing after once before.  doh!  :censored: 

Of course, if you wait long enough, some of these purchasing mistakes like the ones above could turn into winners if you are lucky enough.  :wishluck::banana:

Seem to have no problem remembering my GA books probably because they were more expensive and so much tougher to find, but when it came to the cheaper and common BA and CA books for only a few dollars a piece back then, very easy to lose track of what you have and don't have. 

:news: Technology will fail you. I repeat. Technology will fail you. I've been in complete dead zones several times. Sometimes just going to the back of a store you will have no service. Not to mention running low on a battery. Generally I make lists of runs I'm after. I go through my books to remember the covers in case I don't have my list on me. I try to memorize every key book

21 hours ago, Lt. Eckhardt said:

Anyone here use Comic Book Relm.com?    I like how it tracks values and you can kind of keep track of books you own but wow is that site slow and clunky.

Yes. Although I do not use it as a checklist. My LCS chain uses it to price backissues and thus I had to adapt.

The mobile version of the normal site works well enough for me. 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

I keep a list in a Word document that I store on Dropbox and can pull up on my phone. Whenever I plan to go hunting I make sure to pull up the list and screenshot it in case reception is bad wherever I am. If I find someplace unexpected I try to do the same thing in the car before going in. 

I've usually got at least one such screenshot on my phone at all times. Even if it isn't 100% accurate it will be very close if I'm caught by surprise. 

Edited by mysterio

Google Sheets for me.  This is my primary comic inventory system, but it doubles as an easy way for me to check missing issues when I'm on the road on just about any device.  It works best when there's an internet connection, but I can pull it up in offline mode as well.

As a side note, I also keep track of a number of other details (i.e. cost basis, longbox location, condition, and if I have a scan of the book... to name just a few).  Plus, I wrote a quick -script to pull missing issues and list them out in the last column for easy access.  I got tired of scrolling through over 1500 rows of books.

14 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Google Sheets for me.  This is my primary comic inventory system, but it doubles as an easy way for me to check missing issues when I'm on the road on just about any device.  It works best when there's an internet connection, but I can pull it up in offline mode as well.

As a side note, I also keep track of a number of other details (i.e. cost basis, longbox location, condition, and if I have a scan of the book... to name just a few).  Plus, I wrote a quick --script to pull missing issues and list them out in the last column for easy access.  I got tired of scrolling through over 1500 rows of books.

Ooh, care to share that -script?

58 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Ooh, care to share that --script?

One day... one day... lol

When I have a chance, I'll post what I have.  Currently it's pretty specific to my needs, so I'll have to clean it up and make it a little more generic.

I think I'll actually start a new thread with some tips/tricks.  These things require some javascript knowledge, but it's pretty easy stuff.