• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Mystery Canadian 128 Page Giant
1 1

86 posts in this topic

On 2017-02-21 at 10:58 AM, Bronty said:

Yes I think it is 1945, I think you are correct and I think that pretty well solves it, at least as far as the MM goes.   1942 was just too early for it to make sense anyways.

It is my Marvel Mystery Cgc 0.5 ComicLink consignment at no reserve. Pretty sure the date stamp is 1945. Published in NYC per bottom of page 1 indicia; distributed in Canada.

8 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

It is my Marvel Mystery Cgc 0.5 ComicLink consignment at no reserve. Pretty sure the date stamp is 1945. Published in NYC per bottom of page 1 indicia; distributed in Canada.

When I bought my damaged copy, I asked the seller what he knew about the book and this is what he said:

"The book was in a garage fire at my grandmother’s house and rescued along with many other books. The fire was in Montreal (near NY state border). My father (still alive) was born in 1934 so in 1943 he was around 8-9 years old when he received the book. An uncle of my father’s brought comics books from the central train station in Montreal where he was working. It was probably tourists from US who forgot their comics in trains and anywhere else around the train station. He would frequently bring these comics to my dad when he visited. The comics were all US comics. So its plausible this timely comic was not sold in Canada at this time, maybe upstate New York . For MMC annual, its true there is not so much information. And yes it looks like it was sold in Canada. 2 or 3 were found in Montreal I think. And I read somewhere it was an unauthorized print.  I sold a human torch, an all winners comic, a submariner, a superman 35, and yours. They were all from this fire and US editions." 

55 minutes ago, Ameri said:

When I bought my damaged copy, I asked the seller what he knew about the book and this is what he said:

"The book was in a garage fire at my grandmother’s house and rescued along with many other books. The fire was in Montreal (near NY state border). My father (still alive) was born in 1934 so in 1943 he was around 8-9 years old when he received the book. An uncle of my father’s brought comics books from the central train station in Montreal where he was working. It was probably tourists from US who forgot their comics in trains and anywhere else around the train station. He would frequently bring these comics to my dad when he visited. The comics were all US comics. So its plausible this timely comic was not sold in Canada at this time, maybe upstate New York . For MMC annual, its true there is not so much information. And yes it looks like it was sold in Canada. 2 or 3 were found in Montreal I think. And I read somewhere it was an unauthorized print.  I sold a human torch, an all winners comic, a submariner, a superman 35, and yours. They were all from this fire and US editions." 

Interesting information but perhaps a bit confusing.  It's not clear to me how the seller knew that his father received the book in 1943.  He could have received it when he was 11 in 1945 thus matching the date stamp (I've assumed all along that the date stamp on the cover was a store/newsstand date stamp).  

There's nothing to say that the father's uncle didn't find the MM Annual at the Montreal train station (could have been purchased there and forgotten) or bought it off the Montreal train station newsstand himself for the seller's father.

I've never heard or read anything about this being an unauthorized print.  Has anyone else?  Chances are that if it was published/printed in NYC it was fully authorized.

Edited by pemart1966

I would agree that the MMC b/w 'annual' must have been fully authorized as printed in NYC. My copy distributed in Vancouver, BC :applause: summer, 1945.  The Timely front :angel: cover image is fairly clean and flat. Comic comes with a loose b/w Xerox of the last puzzle page that is missing, thus not married in the Cgc slab.

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Interesting information but perhaps a bit confusing.  It's not clear to me how the seller knew that his father received the book in 1943.  He could have received it when he was 11 in 1945 thus matching the date stamp (I've assumed all along that the date stamp on the cover was a store/newsstand date stamp).  

There's nothing to say that the father's uncle didn't find the MM Annual at the Montreal train station (could have been purchased there and forgotten) or bought it off the Montreal train station newsstand himself for the seller's father.

I've never heard or read anything about this being an unauthorized print.  Has anyone else?  Chances are that if it was published/printed in NYC it was fully authorized.

I can't speak to whether it was authorized or unauthorized, but comics sold in Canada between 41 and 46 had to meet the definition of Canadian.    I believe that included needing to be printed in Canada on Canadian presses.    My guess would be that this was not printed in New York, regardless of where the indicia says it was "published."

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

I would agree that the MMC b/w 'annual' must have been fully authorized as printed in NYC. My copy distributed in Vancouver, BC :applause: summer, 1945.  The Timely front :angel: cover image is fairly clean and flat. Comic comes with a loose b/w Xerox of the last puzzle page that is missing, thus not married in the Cgc slab.

Al, do you have a picture of the indicia?   Printed in NY and sold in Canada, for those dates, doesn't fit.

Oh wait are you the consignor?? :o

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Yeah, I'd trust a date stamp over an old memory from 70 years ago, any day

dear Bronty,

The indicia on bottom of :preach: page 1 to the Marvel Mystery b/w 'annual' is pictured in the current ComicLink no reserve auction but it does not state the year of publication. Also inside of Timely b/w 'annual' front covers are blank so no extra copyright info. Perhaps the Capt America b/w 'annual' came out a year earlier than MMC 'annual' ?

Bronty,

Also interesting that if the MMC b/w 'annual' was distributed in summer, 1945 after the WECA period, then that implies that Timely, NYC :kidaround: USA was test marketing a b/w thick comic to see if those Canadian hillbillies (Toronto, Montreal, etc) :slapfight: in the Great White tundra would actually buy them. Obviously, 25c was WAY too much to pay for a double thick non-color funny book since so few are extant.

35 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

dear Bronty,

The indicia on bottom of :preach: page 1 to the Marvel Mystery b/w 'annual' is pictured in the current ComicLink no reserve auction but it does not state the year of publication. Also inside of Timely b/w 'annual' front covers are blank so no extra copyright info. Perhaps the Capt America b/w 'annual' came out a year earlier than MMC 'annual' ?

Tracking bid placed. :whistle:

48 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Bronty,

Also interesting that if the MMC b/w 'annual' was distributed in summer, 1945 after the WECA period, then that implies that Timely, NYC :kidaround: USA was test marketing a b/w thick comic to see if those Canadian hillbillies (Toronto, Montreal, etc) :slapfight: in the Great White tundra would actually buy them. Obviously, 25c was WAY too much to pay for a double thick non-color funny book since so few are extant.

no no, 41- mid 46 is WECA period.   Its a WECA book.   Hence the rarity.

I believe what happened is that some US publishers figured out later in the WECA period was that if they took US books and reprinted them in canada with Canadian labour on Canadian presses, and whatever other hoops to jump through, that the books would qualify as Cdn and could be sold here.

I believe that's how we end up with the reprinted MLJ books repackaged into Cdn whites, like the Super Comics nn which reprints Pep 22.     I.e. a few (not many) books were published here that were US material but produced in a way to meet what were essentially the Cdn content laws at the time, and thus could be sold here.

I think we would eventually have seen a lot more of this had the war dragged on, but the war ended shortly after, meaning everyone knew the import restrictions would eventually be lifted and taking away the need to make a costly investment in manufacturing infrastructure here locally.

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Allan said the date stamp is actually 1946!   Different kettle of fish then as that's when WECA was lifting..

I wasn't able to enlarge the image any more than what's on the website.  I mulled it over and at one point was sure it was a "6" but settled on the "5".  If it's a "6" then this is a whole new ball game...

Funny that neither CGC or Clink make reference to the book as a "Canadian" edition...

Edited by pemart1966

I just looked up the Superman 35 that was in the dad's fire collection and it's cover dated July 1945. I attached 3 more books that were in the fire, Detective 99, Batman 26 and Startling 43...all 1945 books. Looks like May 1945 or thereabouts could very well be when the MM Annual was on the stands. I think he just went with 1943 because it's been cited as a 1943 book in several sources. Like you say, the books could have been bought new at the train station and I don't know if the seller could clarify that. The fact that all the other books were US editions, it would seem likely the MM Annual was bought in the US as well. After all, Montreal is only an hour drive from New York.

DetectiveComics99May19451_zps3z1jqp4u.jp

Startlingcomics43january19476_zpsgaox8i1

batman26decembre1944-janvier19452_zpsyvr