• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most underwhelming GA key/grail purchase?

51 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Tsp99 said:
7 hours ago, buttock said:

For years I wanted a Reform School Girl.  I was anticipating the interior to be as salacious as the cover.  After a complicated deal I was finally able to track one down and it was delivered on Thanksgiving day by USPS (still not sure how this happened).  I abandoned my family briefly to open it up and read it and the interior was nothing more than nondescript romance tales.  I was so disappointed I sold it within a few weeks.  

Yep, I'm not a fan of RSG either.... at least not at the current price points.   With a cover like that I'd expect an interior to match.  Guess not.  

If I'm remembering correctly, the cover was repurposed from a paperback with the same name.  Maybe the contents of the paperback were salacious enough to match the cover? hm

On 2/24/2017 at 7:26 AM, Ameri said:

Interestingly, Red Raven 1 was a top 20 book in the Overstreet guide. From 1980:

ZAMISC%20overstreet%20top%2050%20in%2019

Very interesting data there from Overstreet 1980.

It looks like there has been a lot more variability in what counts as a "valuable" GA book, compared to a "valuable" SA book, over the last 36 years.

In Overstreet 2016, here's how the top 10 from 1980 currently rank (in red are the outliers >10):

Golden Age: Marvel 1 (5th), Action 1 (1st), Motion Pic 1 (71st), Whiz 1 (12th), Tec 27 (2nd), Superman 1 (3rd), Wow 1 (93rd), Capt. Marvel Adventures 1 (no rank), Walt Disney's C&S 1 (no rank), Captain America 1 (7th).

Silver Age: FF 1 (3rd), Showcase 4 (4th), AF 15 (1st), ASM 1 (7th), Incredible Hulk 1 (2nd), FF 2 (24th), JIM 83 (6th), TTA 27 (10th), FF 3 (26th), Flash 105 (13th).

Wonder what Overstreet 2052 will hold!

On 2/21/2017 at 9:59 PM, Sqeggs said:

You are getting tired of the Weird 20 ... tired ... tired ... tired

The urge is rising in you to sell it to Sqeggs ... Sqeggs ... Sqeggs

Is my through-the-board hypnosis working? :ph34r:

Sqeggs, don't you completely regret buying that Sugar and Spike #1 CGC 1.0 ?? you know you are totally underwhelmed with that borderline GA purchase

so when you realize you need to just dump that low grade drek ................:takeit:

12 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:
On 2/21/2017 at 9:59 PM, Sqeggs said:

You are getting tired of the Weird 20 ... tired ... tired ... tired

The urge is rising in you to sell it to Sqeggs ... Sqeggs ... Sqeggs

Is my through-the-board hypnosis working? :ph34r:

Sqeggs, don't you completely regret buying that Sugar and Spike #1 CGC 1.0 ?? you know you are totally underwhelmed with that borderline GA purchase

so when you realize you need to just dump that low grade drek ................:takeit:

Got to hang on to those 50s DC No. 1s ... unless, of course, I manage to upgrade!

On 2/25/2017 at 5:02 PM, Sqeggs said:

Got to hang on to those 50s DC No. 1s ... unless, of course, I manage to upgrade!

S&S #1 is so rare I've only ever heard of one person actually managing to upgrade their copy.  Admittedly, that was me, but still... Not that my current copy is spectacular, but at least it has a cover unlike my first copy.

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:
On 2/25/2017 at 8:02 PM, Sqeggs said:

S&S #1 is so rare I've only ever heard of one person actually managing to upgrade their copy.  Admittedly, that was me, but still... Not that my current copy is spectacular, but at least it has a cover unlike my first copy.

The 8.0 copy went for what I think was a low price on Heritage a couple of years ago.  It actually went well below what I had offered the owner for that copy.  Unfortunately, I got mixed up on which day of the auction the book would be in and wasn't online when it sold. doh!