• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most underwhelming GA key/grail purchase?

51 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Have you ever acquired that one book only to be surprised that after all that searching/saving, you wouldn't mind getting rid of it? 

Has to be my old incomplete,brittle and coverless copy of tec 27....it took 1 year owning it before the classic covers bug bit me and I didn't mind getting rid of it to fund my new path in collecting ?!

Not yet!! I have parted with books in the past i wish i could have kept but they were always to raise funds for another book I wanted more at the time. No, "grails" come to mind though I still have all those except 1 I just sold to friend which made me just as happy as owning the book honestly. Came close to parting with the MM46 which you know personally but got the best of both worlds on that deal. Glad I didn't part with it. While the MM46 wasnt as big of a, "grail" to me as the Weird 20 I won't lie i am very pleased i didn't have to move it and got to keep both.

I am curious as to which book you may be hinting at out if your spectacular collection?!!! Is it Sensational??:popcorn:

Haha Thanks Gino!

I don't think I've had any yet.   I've certainly upgraded some books that I thought I'd never need to upgrade.  But I'm not sure those count. 

I've had it happen where a once acceptable defect starts to burn a hole in my eyes until it's all I see until I upgrade.   But as you know with GA, we gladly end up in these situations since passing on a book might mean having to wait several years to have second chance.   (and somehow always more expensive...)

38 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

While the MM46 wasnt as big of a, "grail" to me as the Weird 20 I won't lie i am very pleased i didn't have to move it and got to keep both.

You are getting tired of the Weird 20 ... tired ... tired ... tired

The urge is rising in you to sell it to Sqeggs ... Sqeggs ... Sqeggs

Is my through-the-board hypnosis working? :ph34r:

41 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

16 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Must sell to Sqeggs... sell to Sqeggs... sell... sell...

:ohnoez:  Getting sleepy!!! My thinking is beginning to cloud. Words turning into hazy cyrytalized images!! 

Tony you have struck a GOLD mine this year brutha!! You gotta leave some of the scraps for us!! :) 

As many of you probably know I do that all the time.  Seek out a book and then let it move on down the stream.  Catch and release I call it.  

But, the one book that was my grail, that I wanted the most and had to work really hard for (and pay too much for) is still safely in my stash and won't see its way down the stream anytime soon.  

:)

10 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

As many of you probably know I do that all the time.  Seek out a book and then let it move on down the stream.  Catch and release I call it.  

But, the one book that was my grail, that I wanted the most and had to work really hard for (and pay too much for) is still safely in my stash and won't see its way down the stream anytime soon.  

:)

I wonder what it issssss??..??

It may come as a shock, but this may be the most underwhelming grail book on the planet...

1296bff6-3eb7-49c1-951d-820915491585_zps

I've owned two copies over the past ten years ...both in high grade (8.5 & 9.4)... traded the first one, to upgrade.  Eventually decided to auction the second one with my eye on a more desired grail book knowing that replacing DBH in HG is a lot easier than most iconic GA books.  Even though the book's cover is da bomb, I've always liked Silver Streaks featuring Daredevil & the Claw by Jack Cole better.  So, I'm probably the only collector on the planet who thinks of this classic as an underwhelming grail.  Yeah, I guess that's me ---> :boo:

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

It may come as a shock, but this may be the most underwhelming grail book on the planet...

I've owned two copies over the past ten years ...both in high grade (8.5 & 9.4)... traded the first one, to upgrade.  Eventually decided to auction the second one with my eye on a more desired grail book knowing that replacing DBH in HG is a lot easier than most iconic GA books.  Even though the book's cover is da bomb, I've always liked Silver Streaks featuring Daredevil & the Claw by Jack Cole better.  So, I'm probably the only collector on the planet who thinks of this classic as an underwhelming grail.  Yeah, I guess that's me ---> :boo:

I've always been underwhelmed by it ...heck, I don't even consider it a major ga key. At best a minor one. Grail? Don't think so (personally)

Edited by G.A.tor

10 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:
11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

11 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Must sell to Sqeggs... sell to Sqeggs... sell... sell...

:ohnoez:  Getting sleepy!!! My thinking is beginning to cloud. Words turning into hazy cyrytalized images!! 

Tony you have struck a GOLD mine this year brutha!! You gotta leave some of the scraps for us!! :) 

Oh, not I don't! I want it all! :sumo:

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
3 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I've always been underwhelmed by it ...heck, I don't even consider it a major ga key. At best a minor one. Grail? Don't think so (personally)

With Hitler covers so hot lately, I think this one is well up there on that list.  I would agree, though, that as a major GA key, it's pretty far down. 

tho' i like it quite a bit, i'm rather surprised no one has thrown  red raven 1 out there.  it's got some haters, even within my own little geek group.

Edited by Straw-Man

2 hours ago, tabcom said:

+1 on the DBH assessment. 

With respects to the topic. over the years I've became a buy-and-hold collector.

+1

I buy what I like and keep them forever. Lots of books sit in boxes for a few years until I rediscover them and remember why I bought them in the first place. I just saying I "used to have that"...

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

tho' i like it quite a bit, i'm rather surprised no one has thrown  red raven 1 out there.  it's got some haters, even within my own little geek group.

Yeah, another book where opinions are sharply divided.  When Chuck finally sold the Church copy he expected -- or claimed to have expected -- a much bigger payday than he got. 

5 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

Yeah, Red Raven has supporters and detractors, but as a grail book it seems to have a lot more goin' for it than agin-it.  

As a one shot ...even as a commercial flop... it's more than a curiosity.  In it's favor, there's that Joe Simon & Jack Kirby thing goin' on.  This may not be the first time these legends worked together, but to my knowledge it's the first finished project with Kirby cover and interiors that Simon sold to Goodman (the next would be Cap).  

The colorist's choice is certainly questionable..., pink wings, ...really! ...?  Who knows how many more copies might've sold to boys back in 1940 if the Red Raven had white or blue-white wings (alas, hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose).  

In spite of that, Kirby's dynamic cover art (complete with an evil dwarf and dangling blonde maiden in dire need of rescue) stands out.  In my estimation, RR is a sweet book, tough in grade and sadly under-appreciated.  That's why this'un will always be a prizeworthy Timely grail.

Hey, if you toss one out there, I'll wager someone will snap it up in short order! 

41 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, another book where opinions are sharply divided.  When Chuck finally sold the Church copy he expected -- or claimed to have expected -- a much bigger payday than he got. 

Chuck was apparently trying to drive up the book's price/value and wasn't persuading anybody.  He ended up doing well with the book, but it didn't achieve the high Church multiples he'd been hoping for.  I seem to recall that his wasn't the highest graded pedigreed copy, but I'd have to double check records data as it's been awhile.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

1 minute ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Chuck was apparently trying to drive up the book's price/value and wasn't persuading anybody.  He ended up doing well with the book, but it didn't achieve the high Church multiples he'd been hoping for.  I seem to recall that his wasn't the highest graded pedigreed copy, but I'd have to double check records data as it's been awhile.

Good point.  The Church copy is a 9.0 (tied with two other 9.0s) and is behind a 9.4.  Anyone know what ped the 9.4 is (assuming it is a ped).