• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most Overwhelming GA Purchase

62 posts in this topic

I have been watching the underwhelming GA grail/key thread and I like it. 

It made me think about the books that I bought without putting much thought into and then REALLY liked a lot. It does not have to be a key or a grail, but rather a book that you went ahead and got then kind of fell in love with. :luhv:

This is the first book that came to my mind. I loved Fight 40 and 41 and I like Lily Renee, so hey, why not?

When I got the book in my hand though, it was awesome! Her blue eyes, the headlights, and the smoking gun pointed right at me!! Love it.

The Hooks Devlin story also has some great Baker art.

IMG_8926.jpg

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This is the first book that came to my mind. I loved Fight 40 and 41 and I like Lily Renee, so hey, why not?

When I got the book in my hand though, it was awesome! Her blue eyes, the headlights, and the smoking gun pointed right at me!! Love it.

IMG_8926.jpg

Never saw that cover before - a sweet book to be sure.   I guess for Me it was either my restored raw All Star 3 or Flash 1.   Getting to actually read them was real treat!!

Well i can't say i didn't put a LOT of thought into this purchase because i did but I while i knew i would LOVE it once i got it in hand it was even sweeter than i'd ever imagined!! Not a key but it's really got it ALL for me personally and i couldn't be happier with it 

18745080772_47584779f0_b.jpg

4 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Well i can't say i didn't put a LOT of thought into this purchase because i did but I while i knew i would LOVE it once i got it in hand it was even sweeter than i'd ever imagined!! Not a key but it's really got it ALL for me personally and i couldn't be happier with it 

That is a sweet book!

4 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I will admit I am not too familiar with this book but WOW!! That is a heck of a cover!

20 minutes ago, Ltpink2002 said:

Richard offered me this book a few years ago.  Without much thought, I purchased the book for Grundy's first appearance.  Over the years, I've grown quite fond of the cover.

AllAmericanComics061_1_zps34a624b1.jpg

Without a doubt one of the All time Greats and my personal favorite cover. #1 on my List. Great example right there!!

1 hour ago, Ltpink2002 said:

Richard offered me this book a few years ago.  Without much thought, I purchased the book for Grundy's first appearance.  Over the years, I've grown quite fond of the cover.

AllAmericanComics061_1_zps34a624b1.jpg

Never owned a copy of that book, but I remember being knocked out by it when I saw it in a fanzine article on Solomon Grundy years ago. 

When I scored this in the mid ‘90s it was the first late (Xela cov) Wonder or Startling I’d ever had. Inside: first the exquisite Tara, then a superb Wonderman where his robot assistant learns what it means to be human. By the time I encountered the Silver Knight festooned with fabulousness of Frazetta inking – I was thinking: this is the best comic ever. A few more Wonders and Startlings followed; aside from their awesomeness, one has to cope with the grim reality that after perfecting the comic book format both titles disappeared in short order. But from my SF-oriented viewpoint they constitute a high water mark of GA goodness.

img709.jpg

5 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

When I scored this in the mid ‘90s it was the first late (Xela cov) Wonder or Startling I’d ever had. Inside: first the exquisite Tara, then a superb Wonderman where his robot assistant learns what it means to be human. By the time I encountered the Silver Knight festooned with fabulousness of Frazetta inking – I was thinking: this is the best comic ever. A few more Wonders and Startlings followed; aside from their awesomeness, one has to cope with the grim reality that after perfecting the comic book format both titles disappeared in short order. But from my SF-oriented viewpoint they constitute a high water mark of GA goodness.

img709.jpg

An incredible run of books. So different from beginning to end and so many great issues!

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

You got me at the cover Gino! The stories inside are just an added bonus.

21 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_8926.jpg

Don't forget on your list the Veronica Lake hairdo (and eyebrows and eyes) as well as the headlights -

veronica-lake-06.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

An incredible run of books. So different from beginning to end and so many great issues!

You got me at the cover Gino! The stories inside are just an added bonus.

Thanks brother!! The means a whole lot coming from the guy with all sorts of overwhelmingly cool gems!!

9 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

You did good with that one so tough and classic

I purchased my Batman 1 back in 1998 from CLINK.  I agonized over how much it cost but decided it was my one opportunity to own a copy (especially given prices today).  Once I had it in hand I was amazed at the actual book.  Still get that same feeling every time I pull it out to look at.

batman1.jpg

6 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I purchased my Batman 1 back in 1998 from CLINK.  I agonized over how much it cost but decided it was my one opportunity to own a copy (especially given prices today).  Once I had it in hand I was amazed at the actual book.  Still get that same feeling every time I pull it out to look at.

batman1.jpg

:luhv:

Great thread, Rick! I'm interpreting it as the ones that sneak up on you. Maybe you buy it without too much thought then later decide its home is in the "can't part with" box.....through this lens, I'm seeing a GA horror books pattern for me. My answers are Chamber of Chills #6 (famous woman melted alive panel), Frankenstein #30, and Marvel Tales #96. They have been acquired on a whim over the last year or two and each one has grown on me immensely.