• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most Overwhelming GA Purchase

62 posts in this topic

I usually put a lot of thought into my purchases, but this Catman no. 26 comes to mind. I was lukewarm about it because the grade was lower than what I would have liked, but it has grown on me, and the cover has become one of my favorites. (I'd still upgrade if I had the chance, but only if I found a high-grade copy with equally fresh pages and vivid colors.)

Catman 26 A resz.jpg

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Great thread, Rick! I'm interpreting it as the ones that sneak up on you. Maybe you buy it without too much thought then later decide its home is in the "can't part with" box.....through this lens, I'm seeing a GA horror books pattern for me. My answers are Chamber of Chills #6 (famous woman melted alive panel), Frankenstein #30, and Marvel Tales #96. They have been acquired on a whim over the last year or two and each one has grown on me immensely.

Yes, that is exactly my intention and thought, although I would LOVE to have a Batman 1 sneak up on me any day of the week :wishluck:

In the spirit of what you were talking about in the first post, the National 18 may not really be the right choice, as I knew I'd love that one ..... as for books that just grew on me.... here are a few that I picked up to just flip and found myself attached to them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

u3ZBhWQ.jpg

Hxa0RB2.jpg

i3xP4bl.jpg

0mIsQly.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

6 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

This is another book I always wanted but could never seem to find the right copy.  Well it finally showed up and I was willing to pay more than anyone else.  Now that I have it in hand I have to say  love it even more :luhv:

lt1.jpg

I remember when you won this.  Tremendous pickup. 

8 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Yes, that is exactly my intention and thought, although I would LOVE to have a Batman 1 sneak up on me any day of the week :wishluck:

Oh, I agree! If I ever am able to acquire a Batman #1 (or a National #18) I'm sure I'd feel overwhelming happiness. But not of a surprising sort!

Heck, I look at Jimbo's Fox book with Samson on the cover and remind myself that there are whole swaths I do not start on for fear of being unable to stop, such as those and big 5 DC war books. But some you just cannot predict the impact of; like that early True that Jimbo posted. I have a couple and they have grown rapidly on me, quite unexpectedly.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

i just love how when even a low grade comic comes back from CGC it usually looks so much better in the slab !!!

That's for sure! If you pick one with the right flaws making it low grade (basically, the major stuff is anywhere but the cover) it is like Mylar on steroids, from a presentation perspective.

8 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

In the spirit of what you were talking about in the first post, the National 18 may not really be the right choice, as I knew I'd love that one ..... as for books that just grew on me.... here are a few that I picked up to just flip and found myself attached to them. GOD BLESS...

u3ZBhWQ.jpg

Hxa0RB2.jpg

i3xP4bl.jpg

0mIsQly.jpg

Space mouse!??!

Here's one that fits the original description for the thread.  It was a Sunday night and I was watching the auction on HA when this book popped up.  I thought "oh yeah, that's a cool cover".  I had seen it several times over the years.  Well the price was pretty good so I got into the bidding and ended up winning.  Once I had it in hand and could see how truly amazing the book was I knew it was a permanent addition to the collection.

Adventure79_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Here's one that fits the original description for the thread.  It was a Sunday night and I was watching the auction on HA when this book popped up.  I thought "oh yeah, that's a cool cover".  I had seen it several times over the years.  Well the price was pretty good so I got into the bidding and ended up winning.  Once I had it in hand and could see how truly amazing the book was I knew it was a permanent addition to the collection.

Adventure79_1.jpg

You should see the inside, bro......two S&K stories, a Burnley, a Baily, a Lehti...... a Roussos(I think?)..... these things used to be impossible to find, just too much quality for anyone to even think about selling one.... GOD BLESS...

9 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

You should see the inside, bro......two S&K stories, a Burnley, a Baily, a Lehti...... a Roussos(I think?)..... these things used to be impossible to find, just too much quality for anyone to even think about selling one.... GOD BLESS...

Curse you!  Now I have to find a raw copy

I don't own any books that I didn't plan on buying because I really liked them...Every GA book I've ever bought was methodically searched for and coveted, or found by accident and immediately coveted.  I feel left out in this thread...:sorry:

Edited by tricolorbrian

This is just too tuff, ...even if I spell it proper it's tough.  I've always sought books I wanted without reservation, ...rarely looking to fill runs or falling in love with'em after the fact.  But if I was to pick one that has grown on me, it'd be this'n...

3490b051-21f4-4f69-adfa-59545c7e169a_zps

I snagged this puppy as part of a larger deal with the tall geek. Although I've rarely gone out of my way to collect books with Uncle Sam on the cover, I love Lou Fine's best art featuring the character.  So, when offered a National with a Lou Fine cover featuring a giant Uncle Sam battling an equally over the top green Germanic skeleton it was a no-brainer.  Like Uncle Sam, the cover grew on me.  It may not be National #7, but this'n is every bit as strong as Lou's most highly regarded National cover.  That battleship held in front of the National banner is the crowning touch.  Wow, what a cover!

18 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

This is just too tuff, ...even if I spell it proper it's tough.  I've always sought books I wanted without reservation, ...rarely looking to fill runs or falling in love with'em after the fact.  But if I was to pick one that has grown on me, it'd be this'n...

3490b051-21f4-4f69-adfa-59545c7e169a_zps

I snagged this puppy as part of a larger deal with the tall geek. Although I've rarely gone out of my way to collect books with Uncle Sam on the cover, I love Lou Fine's best art featuring the character.  So, when offered a National with a Lou Fine cover featuring a giant Uncle Sam battling an equally over the top green Germanic skeleton it was a no-brainer.  Like Uncle Sam, the cover grew on me.  It may not be National #7, but this'n is every bit as strong as Lou's most highly regarded National cover.  That battleship held in front of the National banner is the crowning touch.  Wow, what a cover!

It's the Hit 17 of the run.  

3 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

I don't own any books that I didn't plan on buying because I really liked them...Every GA book I've ever bought was methodically searched for and coveted, or found by accident and immediately coveted.  I feel left out in this thread...:sorry:

What about one of the accidentals that has gotten better over time with you?