• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Bronze but not Silver
1 1

32 posts in this topic

There are an incalculable number of collectors focusing on different  ages, genres, grades, keys, runs, artists, writers, publishers, pedigrees, sizes, etc. Many Bronze Age collectors venture back to the preceding Silver Age while others seek out Copper and Modern books. 

Are there any collectors that stayed in Bronze? 

Thanks,

john

I like the bronze books, I was just old enough to treat them like gold. My silver are less so.Is Howard going to be in the new Guardian's Movie? Hope so I have a couple of 9.4 #1 and an 8.0. Plus a lot of doubles and triples from 2-20ish. Nice to have a Bronze place to show a few books.

IMG_2724.jpg

12 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Bronze is my favorite, since that is my childhood, but I also collect the others, try to put to together runs, but Bronze only?....no.

Did you start out collecting Bronze? The reason for my starting this thread has to do with whether there are collectors who exclusively collect Bronze Age books? In my case, Bronze led to Silver and later on to Atomic and Golden Age books. Bronze was a starting point for others as well. Bronze and Silver are inseparable for many collectors. Still, have any collectors stayed exclusively with Bronze?

thanks,

john

As a kid, I read comics in the 70s. Didn't collect them really in the sense of trying to keep them in high grade. That didn't start until around 1980, so yeah I started in the Bronze age but didn't stay there. I moved naturally into Copper as we moved from Bronze to Copper in the early 80s. I dabbled in Silver but didn't like the look of those books. Golden age might as well have been another planet. However, that changed in time. One of my favorite comic ages is the Atom Age. 

I have a soft spot for early to mid 70s Bronze. I love the look of DCs and Marvels from that time

Edited by Jerkfro

I started reading and collecting comics in the 70s, and I have a natural focus and nostalgia for BA.  I kept up with new releases throughout the 80s Copper Age and 90s Modern Age until several years ago, and again with back issues, raw and slabbed, it's been primarily BA and with easily a 95 % plus bias this way.  I don't really need much that was published 1980 onwards and I'm not interested in paying nosebleed prices for older pre-70s material when I'm happy enough with reprints.   Even though I read stories from all Ages, I put 70s books first if I'm thinking about buying originals.

I like the Bronze age, because I can still afford most of the keys in high grade.

For silver age keys I have to settle for low graders, and Golden age keys end up being a wrap or single page on my budget.

My high grade obsession can only be satisfied with bronze age books.

I started with bronze age books and went into silver age.  Collected both until 1984 or so.  Once I went to college, I bought maybe 6-7 books (Batman death series).  Didn't buy a thing from 92-09.  When I got back into collecting, I've gravitated back to bronze books as that is where I started.  I'll still buy a silver or copper age book, but 95% are bronze. 

Depends on what you buy & why you buy.

If you grew up reading Star Wars or Kirby Fourth-World titles, there may not be as big a desire to venture into Silver and prior, as these storylines didn't exist before the Bronze age. If you grew up on mainstream superheroes from the Big Two, I think the desire is increased dramatically (regardless of budgetary concerns), as the stories are from the same continuity.

If you buy for investment, Bronze offers a (relatively) lower entry point & potential for the 'next big thing'. Silver will cost you, but the growth is (presumably) 'guaranteed'.

6 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Did you start out collecting Bronze? The reason for my starting this thread has to do with whether there are collectors who exclusively collect Bronze Age books? In my case, Bronze led to Silver and later on to Atomic and Golden Age books. Bronze was a starting point for others as well. Bronze and Silver are inseparable for many collectors. Still, have any collectors stayed exclusively with Bronze?

thanks,

john

I was a reader in Bronze, a 'Collector' (ie full runs, #1 issues etc.) in Copper, then went back to get more Bronze, and tried to put together runs.   

I liked the crazy costumes they put on the hero in the bronze books. Iron Fists Yellow collar kills me. Up there with up there with Luke Cage's yellow satin shirt. Sweet Christmas!

IMG_2762.jpg

On March 2, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Iron Fist's costume always looked like a rip -off of Deadman's to me.

While I don't think it inspired the costume, Roy Thomas said on a text page in Marvel Premiere 15 that Iron Fist's origin was basically a homage to Amazing-Man. 

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

While I don't think it inspired the costume, Roy Thomas said on a text page in Marvel Premiere 15 that Iron Fist's origin was basically a homage to Amazing-Man. 

I didn't know that!  Learned something there.  :smile:  Because of Thomas' Golden Age nostalgia it doesn't surprise me, though. 

I loved the "Razor edge, Shangri-la" elements of Iron Fists origin. I know it is dated and a little racist but I love the magic, unknown culture stuff. I can't wait to see the show.

IMG_2777.jpg

On 3/14/2017 at 9:04 PM, My young Padawan said:

I collect mostly Bronze Age comic books.  They remind me of my childhood.  I also appreciate the more serious topics that the Bronze Age writers explored.

Same with me when it comes to collecting Bronze. The kid in me connects to Bronze while the my interests to collecting and studying the history of this art form draws me to the preceding ages. 

On 16/03/2017 at 8:43 AM, bronze johnny said:

Same with me when it comes to collecting Bronze. The kid in me connects to Bronze while the my interests to collecting and studying the history of this art form draws me to the preceding ages. 

I have books from all ages in my collection, but I grew up buying bronze books off the rack. So, I feel that it is the most authentic part of my collection because I have a strong connection to them. While I do have a lot of silver age comics that I enjoy owning, a different generation grew up with those books and I'll never fully be able to genuinely relate to them in the same way.