• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

100 books to submit to CGC~Would you pre-screen first? NOOB Here

36 posts in this topic

I have a little over 100 comic books to grade with CGC.  I was going to submit all 100 and have them all slabbed but I noticed the pre-screen option.  I have (3) questions:

1. Do you get charged the $5 Pre-screen fee plus the grading fee if the book passes or is a straight $18 for a modern book?

2. Because of the large QTY (to me at least) would you pre-screen first prior to slabbing?

3. Do you get grader notes or any notion on why the book does not meet your min grade?

I'm new to grading so any help or guidance would be great.

Thanks

1 minute ago, MS Cards & Comics said:

I have a little over 100 comic books to grade with CGC.  I was going to submit all 100 and have them all slabbed but I noticed the pre-screen option.  I have (3) questions:

1. Do you get charged the $5 Pre-screen fee plus the grading fee if the book passes or is a straight $18 for a modern book?

They charge $5 if it doesn't pass the prescreening grade and $18 if it passes and the book gets slabbed.

2. Because of the large QTY (to me at least) would you pre-screen first prior to slabbing?

Yes - definitely if you want only 9.8s (or 9.6/9.8s)

3. Do you get grader notes or any notion on why the book does not meet your min grade?

No - you just get the book back.

Thanks

If you're truly new to grading I'd recommend sending in a smaller batch to start so you can get the disappointment out of the way and then have a better ideal about how to more realistically evaluate the remainder of the books you're hoping to submit. If the books are for a personal collection and you just want them to have a grade assigned and be protected in the cases then you can probably just go for it, but if you're hoping to sell these then many people won't look at moderns below a 9.8 and you may end up with a lot of filler you can't sell for what the grading cost you.

2 hours ago, Cascaders27 said:

If you're truly new to grading I'd recommend sending in a smaller batch to start so you can get the disappointment out of the way and then have a better ideal about how to more realistically evaluate the remainder of the books you're hoping to submit. If the books are for a personal collection and you just want them to have a grade assigned and be protected in the cases then you can probably just go for it, but if you're hoping to sell these then many people won't look at moderns below a 9.8 and you may end up with a lot of filler you can't sell for what the grading cost you.

This right here!!!

Especially if you are looking at moderns - where 9.8 is the target, 

Being new - you WILL have culture shock with ( at least) - the first submission.

I would actually send in 15 to start - no prescreen.   This will give you some indication of how good you are at picking the minimum grade you want and visual references for those that do not.

1 hour ago, Cascaders27 said:

My first batch of books that I submitted to CGC for grading were as follows:

Wolverine #1-7.5

ASM 362-8.5 green label because the konami ad was missing (I didn't know that)

Hulk 181- 4.0

Harbinger 1- 9.4

Flash 92- 9.0

Needless to say the grades sucked.

4 minutes ago, MS Cards & Comics said:

Wolverine #1-7.5

Hulk 181- 4.0

Harbinger 1- 9.4

Flash 92- 9.0

Don't be so hard on yourself,your a tremendous slouch!

1 hour ago, MS Cards & Comics said:

Wolverine #1-7.5

Hulk 181- 4.0

Harbinger 1- 9.4

Flash 92- 9.0

It could have been worse!

Agree with the smaller batch. If you're not a super confident grader, and have never submitted to CGC before, those $5 rejects could pile up really quick, and then you're out a bunch of money for nothing, really. Cherry pick what you think are the 10 or 15 best books, send them off, and see how close you got. If you were right on, then go ahead and submit the large batch for prescreen. If you were way off, spend some time here on the boards, check out the PGM forums, listen the pros, etc, and improve your grading game. To me, paying $5 a pop for rejected prescreens is just throwing good money after bad.

I echo what others have said. I've done 4 submissions since last fall. I usually do 10-15 books at a time, which also fits well in a USPS box. It has been an immense (if expensive) learning experience, and I've become much more picky about what I choose to grade.

If possible the OP should tell us something more about the books to be submitted.  Yes, for moderns you basically need a 9.6 or higher to make it worth it. On the other hand there are certain books which should arguably be graded in any grade. 

14 hours ago, MS Cards & Comics said:

Thanks

Just send them.:wishluck::cloud9:

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, Michelangelo said:

take a good look at the value of each book if sold raw.

sometimes the net sale amount (raw sale vs slab sale) is not worth the cost/risk of slabbing

THIS.   Listen to Michelangelo.  Way too many people are slabbing modern books that are not worth $18 even if they are 9.9. 

Oh, you say you have a slabbed 9.8 copy of last month's Batman?  Fascinating.  There are a dozen more just like it in the back issue bin...

I never used Pre-screens because it costs $5 per book EVEN if the book is only worth $1-5. IF one book is failed to meet YOUR exception, you just bought other worthless copy.

It's much cheaper to send them straight to the ANY tier rather than the pre-screen.  MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION and 2 cents.

I was thinking about doing a pre-screen submission, but I don't even see any info about it on their submission form. Does something show up once there are 25 books in my cart? Do I just add the pre-screen request as notes in my order??

#confused

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, JollyComics said:

I never used Pre-screens because it costs $5 per book EVEN if the book is only worth $1-5. IF one book is failed to meet YOUR exception, you just bought other worthless copy.

It's much cheaper to send them straight to the ANY tier rather than the pre-screen.  MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION and 2 cents.

I'll pay the $5 all day long and take the loss rather than pay the $25 for the unsellable modern in 9.2 or 9.4 or 9.6.

1 hour ago, CKB said:

I'll pay the $5 all day long and take the loss rather than pay the $25 for the unsellable modern in 9.2 or 9.4 or 9.6.

Exactly.  I've still got a few lower grade slabs from last year's onsite Baltimore submission.  No one wants the occasional 8.5 modern slab where you missed an inside tear or something else.  Way better to pay the $5 (even if the book will only sell for $5 raw) then lock up $20-$25 in books that just won't sell.