• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changes to image attachments
4 4

34 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello all,

We have tweaked the settings for attaching images. Please try them out and let us know if they're working alright for you.

Here is how it functions:

1. When you upload an image, the files you start with needs to be less than 100MB
  2. The boards will automatically reduce the size of any attachment to a max of 1000 x 1500 pixels
  3. It will display in your post at a maximum of 800 x 1200 pixels.
  4. If your image is bigger than the thumbnail max, then people can click on the picture to see it more full screen
  5. If your image is even too big to fit in the zoom in, they can click the Full Size link the lower left of the black border to see it in a new tab

The real result of this is that your final attached image, even if it starts pretty huge, gets shrunk and scaled by the boards for you without doing anything down to a decently small file size. This helps everyone's pages load faster.

Give it a try and please let me know if there are any pain points.

@ArchitechtI'm not sure I understand how this is an improvement.

The pictures I was able to load from my PC last night are not loading now. I HAD been getting a message saying that they had to be under 4.4, so I resized them in another program, now I'm getting a message that they have to be under 1.9.

I hit the "choose file" link, select a picture from my pc. I can't load anything.

This is not better, nothing is happening automatically.

This means that any time I scan a picture, I have to go another program and resize it for the boards, or just go back to using photobucket.

When I was loading pictures for the VCC, I was able to scan a book, grab the picture from my PC and then double click the program that was on the boards to resize it as a thumbnail. 
Did you take that away?

Maybe the computer genius's know how to do this easily, but for someone who is average, like me, it was a lot better before.

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

@ArchitechtI'm not sure I understand how this is an improvement.

The pictures I was able to load from my PC last night are not loading now. I HAD been getting a message saying that they had to be under 4.4, so I resized them in another program, now I'm getting a message that they have to be under 1.9.

I hit the "choose file" link, select a picture from my pc. I can't load anything.

This is not better, nothing is happening automatically.

This means that any time I scan a picture, I have to go another program and resize it for the boards, or just go back to using photobucket.

When I was loading pictures for the VCC, I was able to scan a book, grab the picture from my PC and then double click the program that was on the boards to resize it as a thumbnail. 
Did you take that away?

Maybe the computer genius's know how to do this easily, but for someone who is average, like me, it was a lot better before.

At that point there was a goof in configurations and some people had no limit on their uploads. When you uploaded that stuff, you saved a bunch of 9MB images on the system, which actually caused some issues (along with others who were doing it) with file space. My fault. Not yours.

BUT, I just changed the test to try a much higher limit on the uploads - 100mb. Try to do some uploads now and see what you get please. @skypinkblu

Edited by Architecht
Revised my approach to 100MB initial upload limit for everyone as a test

Not a "Seasoned Veteran" but here are some samples. Original file sizes:

1.  666 x 950 - jpg with medium compression - file size 147 kb

1lees950x666.jpg.949d79a6da7e84ad782762ceab985448.jpg

2.  800 x 1142 - jpg with medium compression - file size 191 kb

1lees1142x800.jpg.4283409d980e6c65f1b956a660d9c67a.jpg

1.  1000 x 1428 - jpg with medium compression - file size 208 kb

1lees1428x1000.thumb.jpg.a555328bfeb479ced3ea1c242202dda3.jpg

Works great and looks great!

Edited by BOOT

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Maybe the computer genius's know how to do this easily

Sounds like your raw scans might be a bit too big. If you adjust your scan settings, you will probably be able to work with this new set up and save yourself time. Should be easy - drop me a PM if you want some help with the settings!

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, John R said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

I tried to upload 2 images. One is 2.4mb and one is 1.7mb and I got an error with both of them.

What file format are they? Maybe not aren't in a recognized image format?

8 minutes ago, Architecht said:

What file format are they? Maybe not aren't in a recognized image format?

They're JPEG - I find if i reduce size below 1mb that they upload. However in your first message you state that they have to be below 100mb.  Is that correct or did you mean to say 1mb?