• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fair market value for restored Action #7 3.0?
1 1

79 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Why would anyone use that site and not the regulars ( CL, CC, HA ) ? (shrug)

The prices they got last quarter for raw, 'buyer inspect/all sales final' GA books were absolutely zany (to the point where Filter among others wondered aloud why he even bothered to slab and sell books through the usual auction houses). So they do have a good recent track record. That said, agreed, it's the last venue I'd use for an Action #7 of all books.

Yep. That was it. A real headache of a day. The book and setting (another story) were described to me very differently. I simply didn’t have enough experience to asses the level of the book's restoration at the last moment. All the pages appeared to have been detached and bound to the spine with rice paper and tape. The FC and BC back cover looked beautiful (3-4) except the right lower on the front. PQ was tan vs brittle pages on lower 1/3 of first 5 pages. I could not tell if it was a married cover, but certainly possible.  No gross evidence of trimming but WTHK. I brought a black light and didn't see any obvious color touch or major restoration, though I am very much am amateur. Before seeing it, I had a rough idea of 25-30K in my mind. Once I saw it was raw and with all the above, I was very very unsure.  I bid up to 17 and then bailed. Of course, I am kicking myself today after reading this thread that it was still a bargain...:cry:.

I think there should be an emergency consultation service for situations like these, where members pay a monthly/annual fee to experts who are on call to answer questions that might assist in such purchases. Like when someone needs help in a pinch...Nah, that's just me bellyaching...

just another side note, Philip Weiss couldn't be a nicer individual.  We had a conversation about why people would use his auction rather than CC, Heritage or CLINK. He made the argument that in a smaller  enterprise he can showcase important books that might otherwise be lost in these larger auction houses.  Not sure if that holds up really holds up so well for the buyers since the premiums are much less in at least CC and CLINK. I had never bought from Heritage. At Weiss, in house or live bidding is 15% and 13% if paid by check or wired transfer within 10 days.  FWIW.

1 hour ago, Manray said:

Yep. That was it. A real headache of a day. The book and setting (another story) were described to me very differently. I simply didn’t have enough experience to asses the level of the book's restoration at the last moment. All the pages appeared to have been detached and bound to the spine with rice paper and tape. The FC and BC back cover looked beautiful (3-4) except the right lower on the front. PQ was tan vs brittle pages on lower 1/3 of first 5 pages. I could not tell if it was a married cover, but certainly possible.  No gross evidence of trimming but WTHK. I brought a black light and didn't see any obvious color touch or major restoration, though I am very much am amateur. Before seeing it, I had a rough idea of 25-30K in my mind. Once I saw it was raw and with all the above, I was very very unsure.  I bid up to 17 and then bailed. Of course, I am kicking myself today after reading this thread that it was still a bargain...:cry:.

I think there should be an emergency consultation service for situations like these, where members pay a monthly/annual fee to experts who are on call to answer questions that might assist in such purchases. Like when someone needs help in a pinch...Nah, that's just me bellyaching...

I don't think it was a bargain. Way too many unknowns. And good luck finding a coverless. It took me 14 years to find one to swap out my brittle interior.

12 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I asked for pictures of the interior spine of this book. It appears multiple wraps are completely split at the spine due to brittleness and have been put back together.

Photo Mar 03, 3 51 18 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 3 52 04 PM.jpg

That book has a loooooooooooooooot of problems would cost a lot of $$$$ to still have wrong cover wrong pgs (shrug) But I still want it :censored:

Very hard to even guess at a value, but the original estimate of apparent 3.0 seems pretty drastically off with the new info about split and reassembled wraps, heavy tape/seals etc. I assume for CGC this would be apparent 1.0-1.5 territory? And that's assuming no larger issues with the book not visible.

Yeah with the new information on the book now, it didn't go for a bargain. I think it went for about fmv roughly. The detached wraps are a concern and possible brittle pieces here and there.  Would definitely benefit from a full restoration maybe depending what it would grade out after and the cost.   Glad my bid was very conservative after all it was said and done.

19 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I asked for pictures of the interior spine of this book. It appears multiple wraps are completely split at the spine due to brittleness and have been put back together.

Photo Mar 03, 3 51 18 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 3 52 04 PM.jpg

Ouch, so essentially a restored Fair more or less?  (shrug)

7 minutes ago, Tsp99 said:

Ouch, so essentially a restored Fair more or less?  (shrug)

appears so. I'd say at $20k, it sold for top end FMV considering what we know about the book. Certainly, not a 3.0 moderate copy. 

Edited by Primetime

4 hours ago, woowoo said:

Looking at inside front cover looks wrong also?

Both covers look correct to me.

If you want to see the back cover, there is a board member who has a back cover for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-7-1938-Back-cover-only-Very-Scarce-2nd-Superman-cover-/252642777524?hash=item3ad2aed9b4:g:-tAAAOSwHMJYGpkX

This same member also has a complete copy for sale, if you are interested in it, Harold.

Edited by Hudson
added further information

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

Both covers look correct to me.

If you want to see the back cover, there is a board member who has a back cover for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-7-1938-Back-cover-only-Very-Scarce-2nd-Superman-cover-/252642777524?hash=item3ad2aed9b4:g:-tAAAOSwHMJYGpkX

This same member also has a complete copy for sale, if you are interested in it, Harold.

Thanks Hudson looks like the popeye is the right insides for Action 7. Ya he gave me a message abought the one he has for sale thanks for the heads up.

On 2017-03-05 at 8:24 AM, Point Five said:
On 2017-03-05 at 4:01 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Why would anyone use that site and not the regulars ( CL, CC, HA ) ? (shrug)

The prices they got last quarter for raw, 'buyer inspect/all sales final' GA books were absolutely zany (to the point where Filter among others wondered aloud why he even bothered to slab and sell books through the usual auction houses). So they do have a good recent track record. That said, agreed, it's the last venue I'd use for an Action #7 of all books.

Weiss's auction house has been auctioning collectibles and comics for 3 decades. Longer than any of the other auction houses.

They've probably got a pretty deep following of buyers and the prices they fetch seem to be decent.