• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Would you like to see pages and pages of dealer listings ala the Ebay Bin pages? The place would be entirely overrun...and it's one thing to say, OK, let Esquire and Quality and Nearmint...but how do you stop Joe Blow and his boxes and boxes of entirely overgraded junk?

The other rules would preclude mass dealers (like Mile High and Metropolis) from listing their books here due to the manual labor it takes to sell books here - namely, the transaction is confined to the boards with no links to outside websites. Their business models are not built on having some guy sit around monitoring the boards, taking lowball offers, scanning books left and right as requested, and answering a million questions regarding everything from shipping costs to time payments to trade offers! lol

There was no mass dumping of dealer stock on the boards before these rules were implemented, and there wouldn't be if the "must not be listed elsewhere" rule were lifted. For example, under the existing rules Doug Sulipa could certainly list his inventory here since his website is so out-of-date and he manually processes orders, yet he's never listed books for sale here? (shrug)

Without a doubt, the quality and variety of offerings, as well as the reliability of sellers, would increase if dealers like Blazingbob could offer their books here. (thumbs u

But he CAN, in the links to Ebay and dealer thread, and as someone said, I know where to look if I want to look at his books...Look, I sell on Ebay, not all the time, but during tax season when my husband is busy, I do quite a bit...it would be a LOT easier for me, to just do one listing at a time...but I don't...I try to comply with the tone of the place and I look at ALL the listings here, because of the tone of this place, personally, I buy a lot more than I sell, I'm sure most people here are like that, that would change...You've seen the probation thread ? Can you imagine what it would be like if this forum was opened up ? Poor Divad... :tonofbricks:

No matter how many times Mike might plead for it... :baiting::kidaround:

:acclaim:

Just thought I'd throw it in there...as we've discussed before, the problem with the marketplace is the newbies/inexperienced sellers. While upstanding hobbyists like Bob Storms aren't "allowed" to post here, JoeBlow can sign up in the AM, scam you out of your $$ by the PM, and never post again. This needs to be addressed, and to me, it's looking like a post minimum, time limit, or formal "User's Agreement" is needed. :wishluck:

100% with you on this, Mike...and the sooner, the better.

I actually think it would be a good idea to have to apply for a 'licence', before New Post priviledges are granted. Maybe a few boarders can form a committee to spread the load and then make recommendations to the Mods? (shrug)

You've seen the probation thread ? Can you imagine what it would be like if this forum was opened up?

It is open now. In fact, it's wide open - it's the wild, wild west in here and additional restrictions are needed regarding who can sell (and when they're allowed to). However, the probation thread is not full of established sellers (dealers or not), it's full of people no one knows, who haven't been here that long, that no one here can vouch for, that are just selling on the side, etc.,.

I am going to weigh in on the buyer's side, since Nick and Mike are two of my favorite sellers. From a buyer's perspective, the rules here create a kind of safe harbor where you don't have to be defensively looking over your shoulder all the time. It certainly is no utopia, see e.g. probation thread :P, but it is filled with very good sellers with very good books.

I have been fairly active here almost 18 months and have seen more amazing books in that time than I would have believed. Were money no object, i could have obliterated my want list. And the best thing is that it all genres. I don't have any problem tightening things up here a bit. But as a buyer, I am afraid that loosening it up will kill the special quality it has.

--Sean.

I am going to weigh in on the buyer's side, since Nick and Mike are two of my favorite sellers. From a buyer's perspective, the rules here create a kind of safe harbor where you don't have to be defensively looking over your shoulder all the time. It certainly is no utopia, see e.g. probation thread :P, but it is filled with very good sellers with very good books.

I have been fairly active here almost 18 months and have seen more amazing books in that time than I would have believed. Were money no object, i could have obliterated my want list. And the best thing is that it all genres. I don't have any problem tightening things up here a bit. But as a buyer, I am afraid that loosening it up will kill the special quality it has.

--Sean.

Libertarian

--Sean.

Libertarian

Viva La Liberdad!

--Sean.

Libertarian

GREG!!!

I nominate Greg to be on your committee! :acclaim:

--Sean.

Libertarian

GREG!!!

Haven't Dale Roberts and Mr_Bedrock posted FS threads? They also have had special discounts for Board members who purchase off of their sites...

The fact that Metro and Bob Storms don't post books FS is due to their own choice. The notion that there are "rules" preventing them from posting books is a bogus excuse IMO. A respectable portion of their business comes from CGC Forumites.. If Metro and High Grade really WANTED to, they could easily post books FS here :shrug:

--Sean.

Libertarian

GREG!!!

I'd actually nominate greggy and DrBanner...along with nik. (thumbs u

I had mentioned to Arch a few months ago the idea of a 3 member committee regarding arbitration issues here in the Forum, maybe it could apply to For Sale threads as well?

I believe I have been branded "Forum Police" for pointing out guideline infractions, I would have no problem doing so in a more official capacity!

--Sean.

Libertarian

GREG!!!

Wouldn't that mean that I would have to do some work?

I had mentioned to Arch a few months ago the idea of a 3 member committee regarding arbitration issues here in the Forum, maybe it could apply to For Sale threads as well?

I believe I have been branded "Forum Police" for pointing out guideline infractions, I would have no problem doing so in a more official capacity!

(thumbs u

Given the activity here, a five man committee would work, allowing the spreading of the workload. Maybe only three members of said commitee need to agree for a decision to be made?

And whilst they are at it, the previously mentioned poor grading could also be addressed. A stock PM could be sent to those who have clearly over-egged books, warning that a grade adjustment is required, or else the thread will be removed? (shrug)

--Sean.

Libertarian

GREG!!!

Well, you'd have to practically live here, read a lot of threads, send a lot of PMs and pass down god-like judgement.

You're unlikely to notice the difference... meh

I really don't get banner's continued insistence to "open the Forum-Only Marketplace up to anything", as allowing books posted at multiple venues would totally undo the "board split" as CGC devised it. If anyone can post any book, regardless of where it is currently for sale, then we no longer need the EBay, Dealer, Website area, right?

That must be banner's intend then, to go back to a single marketplace forum? (shrug)

If so, count me out, as I do not need to wade through all the dealer, consignment and EBay listings to see what *true* forum sales are there. Isn't that why it was split in the first place?

It appears that would be his opinion on the matter, the subject was addressed with the splitting up of the Forums and and I don't beleive there was ever an unanimous agreement on the issue-then or now.

Edited by GACollectibles

Given the activity here, a five man committee would work.

Nope, you need one hardass, willing to lay down the law, without any regard for bias, friendships or azzkissing.

I'd be perfect, but I don't have the time nor the inclination.

Assembling a pack of inbred, dealer-loving, kow-towing wimps to "police" the forums would be totally useless, as transgressions would be allowed or disallowed based on who was posting it. Look at that insipid Dale Roberts thread, and all the board knucklehead support he got after pizzing on 2-3 major guidelines.

Just because someone has some nice books, is a dealer, a friend, or you had a drink with him at a Con, is NOT a valid reason for turning a blind eye. (tsk)

What we need is an equal-opportunity board cop, who'd kick both a newbie and a dealer to the curb for the same infraction.

--Sean.

Libertarian

GREG!!!

Well, you'd have to practically live here, read a lot of threads, send a lot of PMs and pass down god-like judgement.

You're unlikely to notice the difference... meh

:roflmao:

Given the activity here, a five man committee would work.

Nope, you need one hardass, willing to lay down the law, without any regard for bias, friendships or azzkissing.

What we need is an equal-opportunity board cop, who'd kick both a newbie and a dealer to the curb for the same infraction.

Is he available? hm

z11969175.jpg