• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Given the activity here, a five man committee would work.

Nope, you need one hardass, willing to lay down the law, without any regard for bias, friendships or azzkissing.

What we need is an equal-opportunity board cop, who'd kick both a newbie and a dealer to the curb for the same infraction.

Is he available? hm

z11969175.jpg

:cloud9:

Given the activity here, a five man committee would work, allowing the spreading of the workload. Maybe only three members of said commitee need to agree for a decision to be made?

What exactly would the role of this committee be, to vette/approve newbie sellers? Something like that could work, and it really wouldn't be more than a few PM's between committee members and the newbie, explaining how things work around here, possibly providing examples/templates for listing.

However, I'm not sure that a committee (or any individual) is going to be succesful intervening in a transaction gone bad as there's no "hammer" to use to assist in resolving it. hm

2398916232_8c624c86f5_o.gif

Hmmm...that's certainly a welcoming image sure to inspire a level of community and trust for all newcomers! lol

Since when have we been welcomming to newcomers?

Since when have we been welcomming to newcomers?

Oops, looks like The Committee didn't send you The Newbie Welcoming Memo as you haven't been vetted yet...by the way, have you now, or have you ever, posted a book for sale here that was listed elsewhere? Have you ever used a link to an outside website, like say, Paypal, to execute a transaction arranged on the boards? Can you verify your whereabouts the day that the mysterious Detective 27 seller approached Eides? hm:devil:

I think a pop up window (or a mandatory guidline page so it would not be blocked) before a post is made in the selling forum would be the easiest to do. It should say stuff like price, grade (with a link to the grading forum), payment method, location, references and that would eliminate 90% of the problems. It's always easiest to make software do what 100 people would normally do.

Wonder if Arch is reading this yet. How hard would it be to implement something like this?

R.

I think a pop up window (or a mandatory guidline page so it would not be blocked) before a post is made in the selling forum would be the easiest to do. It should say stuff like price, grade (with a link to the grading forum), payment method, location, references and that would eliminate 90% of the problems. It's always easiest to make software do what 100 people would normally do.

I 2nd the motion...that was a motion, wasn't it? (shrug)

So, in other words, you guys are trying to come up something other than a new seller having to click on the thread at the top of forum and read this:

The following guidelines are now in effect. Over some period of time these may be modified or expanded.

As of now, dealers are allowed to post here as long as all guidelines are respected.

Note that BUYERS AND SELLERS HAVE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR TRANSACTIONS. We will not resolve disputes, and purchases and sales are done at your own risk.

For Sale – Threads may be removed for failure to comply, and repeated issues could result in strikes.

1. Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics.

2. No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

3. It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

4. Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.

5. It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

6. List scans or information about the grade of the offered books.

7. List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

8. List acceptable forms of payment

9. Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs).

10. Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

BUYERS When you reply to a sale thread indicating that you'll buy something you must indicate what book you're buying. Otherwise, if someone else is more specific than you are first, your offer won't be considered valid.

...azzkissing, inbred, dealer-loving, kow-towing, knucklehead...

doh!

Hey, I think that accurately describes what went on in the Dale Roberts thread. If a newbie tried the same thing, he'd be run out of town on a rail, and his thread deleted in a NY minute, but because it's a dealer that some on here are friends with... meh

yes, because on the internet time is money and most people do not have the "time" to read everything thoroughly. We are an "on demand" society now and everything needs to be in your face to see it.

It's really the only way. It also abosolves CGC of any responsibility to police a bad transaction. Pop up disclaimers like this are becoming more and more common place.

R.

Being relatively new myself, I think I've been truly active on the boards for about 3-4 months now, although I signed on almost a year back. I started off buying and dealing with the sellers before I put up a few things for sale. There should be some qualification to become a seller, though. As you have seen on this thread and others, sometimes the terms and conditions of the sale are not clearly expressed in the sales thread.

I like the way that the forums are self policed - maybe I should have screwed up on my initial sales attempts just to get the publicity. :)

Well, not to be a stick in the mud, but if they won't read the guidelines thread and no one here has the ability to meter out any consequences, then the only thing that will be achieved is :blahblah: . A pop up window will not solve the problem.

So, in other words, you guys are trying to come up something other than a new seller having to click on the thread at the top of forum and read this:

Not really, more like a revision in the board code that verifies that a new seller has clicked on the thread and read it (a check-box of some sort).

Well, not to be a stick in the mud, but if they won't read the guidelines thread and no one here has the ability to meter out any consequences, then the only thing that will be achieved is :blahblah: . A pop up window will not solve the problem.
Exactly