• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Anyway, the best policy to use is to leave it up to the seller as to how to conduct their personal business.

:applause:

I have to agree with Mike here.

Mike - I remember that time I was tire-kicking a TTA of yours via PM - I wanted a BC scan or something. Meanwhile FT came through and did the :takeit: on that book plus multiple others. Even though you gave me right of first refusal on that book, it made more sense to me to relinquish my claim, since FT was buying a bunch of other books, and if I kept my claim, it would mean you having to send a package to me with one book in it.

I applaud your business sense - it definitely makes me a loyal repeat customer. And, as far as myself goes, others can judge whether I'm just a sap for "losing" the book on purpose, or whether I did the right thing in relation to the other two parties involved. I have to admit, it was easy to give the book up to FT, as he is another stand-up guy, of who I am also a loyal repeat customer.

Mike

:foryou:

Actually... :foryou: :foryou: :foryou:

Before I write this I am going to say that I have no problem with David or Andrew (seller and buyer). I am 100% cool with both of them via pm and in public threads.

Tire kicking is one thing. I was having supper and wanted the book and this is the problem with the :takeit: rulz the day mind set.

If you are in a store and pick up an item you are free to ask questions about it until you buy it or put it down. In a "virtual store" on the internet we have the ability to stretch time. Time is not measured by a clock but by posts. We can reach the other side of the world in seconds. On the other hand, because posts are timed we can also stretch time out based on who did what first. We can slow the transaction down and get it done right.

That is why I allow pms and give them precedence if they are timed ahead of a thread post. It is only fair so that both the buyer and seller both have piece of mind in a transaction.

I always thought that this place was about providing a comfort level unavailable elsewhere.

Otherwise the buyer is forced to buy something without making an informed decision.

I can go to Ebay for that if that is what i wanted.

So I don't think it's a "you snooze, you loze" scenario. It's a respect thing.

In any case I am not going to get up in arms about it with you guys. Majority rules but I will always conduct my sales thread acc to my beliefs to make it truly fair for everyone.

R.

Couldn't agree more Roy! (thumbs u

Both buyers and sellers have rights, and frankly, I consider the policy of "A :takeit: in the thread trumps any PM's" to be a strong-armed tactic by sellers to force the hand of buyers. If I'm interested in a book but want to know the PQ, want a back cover scan, want to know if I can take 2 weeks to pay, etc.,. I would really appreciate the common courtesy of a seller responding to my inquiry before selling the book. Otherwise, a buyer feels pressured into pulling the trigger without knowing the details of what is being offered, essentially giving away their rights.

Personally, I give right-of-1st-refusal to anyone that PM's me with interest about a book, and if someone posts the :takeit: in the thread I PM them and let them know the book is "pending".

Ultimately though, it's up to the seller to decide how they want to conduct their business. (thumbs u

The problem with that is (and I've been on both sides of the problem, buyer or seller) is how long do you pend? I've had people think about stuff for days and I've held things, then they don't answer, or found something else...or just change their minds...I also don't post an :takeit:, if someone has posted a hm but there have been many times I've wanted to, AND times that the book went to someone else because I had to leave while the person was thinking...or I finally gave up and went to sleep.

I even hesitate to post a "PM sent" in many cases, because I don't want to hold up the seller if someone Else is ready to buy.

Perhaps a 15 minute pending Gremlin would work, however, I think we are making things a little too complicated...but that's just my opinion. I've spent too many hours in women's dressing rooms waiting for someone to decide which ONE of the twelve dresses they grabbed off the sales rack they were going to take;)

Not that I don't understand Roy's disappointment, I do...but my sympathies were mostly with Dave in this transaction. He is with out a doubt one of THE NICEST people I've ever dealt with and I can see what a difficult position he was in. Sorry, Dave :foryou:

Ditto. Particularly the bolded part.

I want to make sure that Dave knows that I'm not trying to drag him through the mud. This is something that affects everyone in this selling forum, it just happens to be that Dave's selling thread instigated the discussion but this is a problem that crops up from time to time regardless of who the seller is. Dave (though I have never interacted with him before) sounds like a true class act and Kudos to him. We need more people like him around here.

(worship)

Sharon, regarding your post:

The problem with that is (and I've been on both sides of the problem, buyer or seller) is how long do you pend? I've had people think about stuff for days and I've held things, then they don't answer, or found something else...or just change their minds...I also don't post an :takeit:, if someone has posted a hm but there have been many times I've wanted to, AND times that the book went to someone else because I had to leave while the person was thinking...or I finally gave up and went to sleep.

I even hesitate to post a "PM sent" in many cases, because I don't want to hold up the seller if someone Else is ready to buy.

I think like Banner mentioned, it needs to be a judgement call on the part of the seller. For example if someone asks questions, shows interest in a book, sends a pm, reads it and then does not respond after making several hours/days worth of posts it is pretty clear that the prospective buyer is not interested. On the other hand if the prospective buyer leaves an open ended question and has not read/responded to a pm simply because he is not online, well that is entirely different. It's that whole stretching time thing....

There are a lot of factors a seller needs to take into account...who the tire kicker is, was the pm read, etc etc

It's the difference between ignoring someone and simply being aknowledged.

Excellent post Sharon. (thumbs u

How can women be so logical in some circumstances and so illogical in others? confused.gif

Boy are you going to get it in Chicago, Watson.

lol

Through bitter experience, I have reached the point where I let :takeit: rule.

Nick there is an exception to every rule. In this case you are an exception. Your books are undergraded, you package well, you don't profit from shipping and you disclose every defect up front and are a trailblazer when it comes to selling comics. I see no problem with an established seller taking for granted that he has his *spoon* together and demanding action from a buyer. You have earned that credibility. Unfortunately not everyone has their act together like you do. They don't cover all the bases and there needs to be some recourse for the buyer to enter the transaction with a comfort level that separates this place from Ebay. That is why I still believe that an :takeit: pending pm has it's place. I 100% understand that you sell 1000's of books here and you need to make things as streamlined as possible. I have sold maybe 100 in the past month it's been hard work keeping track (thank God for spreadsheets).

In any case it would be really nice to have this resolved in a way where most can agree and we can continue to make this place a positive experience for all involved.

R.

Here is a time line of a deal gone bad for me awhile back. I changed the names to protect the guilty. :P

In ******** selling thread:

@ 12:09 AM(midnight board time) I sent him a PM with an :takeit: for his XXXX book, if it was available.

@ 12:29 AM he let me know it's available and the book is mine.

@ 12:58 PM He then sends me this (afternoon board time) he says

"Hi Lawrence, I have some bad news. Since you did not post :takeit: for this book on the FS thread I am getting grief from the buyer who wanted to take all of the xxxx books this morning. He is standing by the board rules that the first to post :takeit: gets the book, and rather than risk a flame war on the thread with other board members jumping in I am going to stick with the rule and let him take the book. Sorry"

@12:58 I sent him this.

And you think that will avoid a flame war????? I don't see anywhere that says :takeit: only and "No PM's"

But do what you will it's your book."

@ 1:13 PM he offers me a deal if I buy some xxxxxx books to make it up to me.

Now what do you think (I read the board rules, #8 to be exact) and thought this was a pretty thing to do.

End of my dealing with the seller for good!

Here is a time line of a deal gone bad for me awhile back. I changed the names to protect the guilty. :P

@ 12:09 AM(midnight board time) I sent him a PM with an :takeit: for his XXXX book, if it was available.

"Hi Lawrence, I have some bad news. Since you did not post :takeit: for this book on the FS thread I am getting grief from the buyer who wanted to take all of the xxxx books this morning. He is standing by the board rules that the first to post :takeit: gets the book, and rather than risk a flame war on the thread with other board members jumping in I am going to stick with the rule and let him take the book. Sorry"

And you think that will avoid a flame war????? I don't see anywhere that says :takeit: only and "No PM's"

Now what do you think (I read the board rules, #8 to be exact) and thought this was a pretty thing to do.

:roflmao:

lol

You told me that our weekend in Tahoe made up for that. :mad:

In all seriousness, the book should have been yours. Yours was an unconditional :takeit: with acceptance from the seller.

You were distant that whole weekend and I told you what you wanted to hear. :whistle:

For me it's just books not my livelihood. I don't want to ruin the persons rep like what happened to poor ghastly even though he was in the wrong.

In all seriousness, the book should have been yours. Yours was an unconditional :takeit: with acceptance from the seller.

You were distant that whole weekend and I told you what you wanted to hear. :whistle:

For me it's just books not my livelihood. I don't want to ruin the persons rep like what happened to poor ghastly even though he was in the wrong.

We want to hear about Tahoe.

We want to hear about Tahoe.

the video is on youtube :sick:

(worship)

"He is standing by the board rules that the first to post :takeit: gets the book...and I am going to stick with the rule and let him take the book. Sorry"

There is no such board rule, nor should there be - the seller sets the terms of their sales thread.

"He is standing by the board rules that the first to post :takeit: gets the book...and I am going to stick with the rule and let him take the book. Sorry"

There is no such board rule, nor should there be - the seller sets the terms of their sales thread.

^^

as far as I'm concerned, :takeit: in a PM is just as good as :takeit:posted in the thread

:takeit: has always been gospel either in a PM or in the sales thread. There is no rule that says that, but we all agree on that.

It's when a :takeit: is NOT a :takeit: i.e., when conditions are attached, when the problems arise.

^^

as far as I'm concerned, :takeit: in a PM is just as good as :takeit:posted in the thread

I agree.

I have had numerous people pm me to buy books because they wanted to remain anonymous.

^^

I agree.

I have had numerous people pm me to buy books because they wanted to remain anonymous.

:cry:

I see the :takeit: as analogous to the eBay BIN. If you have any questions, you PM the sellers... However, you risk someone else hitting the BIN.

It's pretty simple.