• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I haven't had any problems either with the payment plans I have been involved with in the past, but I just got to thinking, what if... You know?

You know, they did a whole comic based on that. :kidaround:

You're kidding. What was it called?

I don't think they should run them til they bleed themselves (obviously). I do think a definitive end point should be established (i.e. ends on this date, will end if no one :takeit: by 10 issues, etc). What this end point should be decided by the poster, but it would helpful to provide buyers with some sort of time frame.

I haven't had any problems either with the payment plans I have been involved with in the past, but I just got to thinking, what if... You know?

You know, they did a whole comic based on that. :kidaround:

You're kidding. What was it called?

What If? :baiting:

maybe just a smidge hm

I am of the opinion that if you start one of those threads then you finish it. Period. There is no, "ill stop if i think im loosing money" or such nonesense.

If you are going to run one of those style listings then create your rules to deal with situations that you might see arising.

But the bottom line is that you start one, you need to finish it.

I've lost track of how many times I wanted to pop a :takeit: even with the sellers offering time payments. My thought though is if I can't afford it up front then it's probably best to wait til I can. I think the most I've done from time to time is to take a month or two advance on my allowance but even then I'm still spending money we have--I just have to repay the short-term savings account.

I pretty much feel the same way Forrest, for myself...If I can't pay up front, I don't buy it, however I have one boarder who has been buying some of my Marvels, who is just marvelous, and I trust him completely, I really don't mind helping someone else out at all...but I'd drive myself crazy if I owed money, so I don't do that.

I should modify my statement, I had one person reneg on time payments, but he never made any, and he lost his babysitter, so it was a non issue for me...

I gotta ask, how old was this person? I wonder should we be selling to people who need a babysitter?

I've lost track of how many times I wanted to pop a :takeit: even with the sellers offering time payments. My thought though is if I can't afford it up front then it's probably best to wait til I can. I think the most I've done from time to time is to take a month or two advance on my allowance but even then I'm still spending money we have--I just have to repay the short-term savings account.

I pretty much feel the same way Forrest, for myself...If I can't pay up front, I don't buy it, however I have one boarder who has been buying some of my Marvels, who is just marvelous, and I trust him completely, I really don't mind helping someone else out at all...but I'd drive myself crazy if I owed money, so I don't do that.

I should modify my statement, I had one person reneg on time payments, but he never made any, and he lost his babysitter, so it was a non issue for me...

I'm in the middle of my second time payment deal on the boards as a buyer and I think the seller should always keep the entire payment because once a buyer agrees to the amount in the deal, it's all or nothing. Letting them back out of the deal should be left up to the seller's discretion on a case by case basis, but definitely shouldn't be the rule.

maybe just a smidge hm

I am of the opinion that if you start one of those threads then you finish it. Period. There is no, "ill stop if i think im loosing money" or such nonesense.

If you are going to run one of those style listings then create your rules to deal with situations that you might see arising.

Right, but I think finishing it can mean simply saying "That's it! No more books left." Of course, you very well may be stating this too (I am only working on my first cup of coffee :) ). However, I think if you're going to commit to doing one of these $100 progressive lots, then it remains a $100 progressive; no changing prices midstream. Not that I have a problem with seller's running their threads how they want, but I think it just get confusing and might turn some people off. But the goes right along the lines of what you said Arex, "If you are going to run one of those style listings then create your rules to deal with situations that you might see arising."

I gotta ask, how old was this person? I wonder should we be selling to people who need a babysitter?

Around 29 ...the baby sitter was for...his...oh...you are So bad :makepoint:

maybe just a smidge hm

Right, but I think finishing it can mean simply saying "That's it! No more books left." Of course, you very well may be stating this too (I am only working on my first cup of coffee :) ). However, I think if you're going to commit to doing one of these $100 progressive lots, then it remains a $100 progressive; no changing prices midstream. Not that I have a problem with seller's running their threads how they want, but I think it just get confusing and might turn some people off. But the goes right along the lines of what you said Arex, "If you are going to run one of those style listings then create your rules to deal with situations that you might see arising."

I see a progressive thread the same way I do an auction. If you are going to list a book at a low price to get suckers nice people to bid, then DON'T chicken out and pull it...same with a progressive thread...sorry, that just happens to be a pet peeve of mine, if you can't do the time don't do the cri.....well, don't gamble...;)

Bottom line is, I agree with Arex

maybe just a smidge hm

I see a progressive thread the same way I do an auction. If you are going to list a book at a low price to get suckers nice people to bid, then DON'T chicken out and pull it...same with a progressive thread...sorry, that just happens to be a pet peeve of mine, if you can't do the time don't do the cri.....well, don't gamble...;)

Bottom line is, I agree with Arex

Thanks Sharon, i appreciate it.

You have to (or at least i would) go into one of these threads with the understanding that you might wind up selling a lot more stuff to get someone to bite than you would like.

Don't get huffy or aggravated when you have to add more and more (and make less and less zzz) when it does move.

I see it as a way to blow out a bunch of lower grade, lower price, hard to sell as individual issues in bulk. If you want to make money on one of them, well, it probably isnt going to work, at least not here.

maybe just a smidge hm

Yes and no. I do not think you can just say "im done" whenever it strikes your fancy. Now, if you said the following:

Im going to add 3 books a day, and if no-one has bought after 3 day and 9 added books, then the thread closes.

I see nothing wrong with that.

All of this progressive thread stuff is getting too complicated for me to wrap my tiny brain around.

If you want to sell a bulk lot of junk, then just list it as a bulk lot and be done with it. Most people here are savvy buyers and sideshow tricks like lighting your farts on fire may attract a crowd in the beginning, but in the end everything just goes up in smoke anyway.